• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUICK SEARCH on Windows 10
There's an OS X app I use called Music Binder Pro on my MBP.

When it's open, I can start to type in any song name and that song will immediately pop up.

I'll start to type 
"S T A N" and Stand By Me will come up.

If the song is Stand And Deliver, I just continue to type and it'll bring up the song I'm looking for.

I'll type in "H O L D T" and Hold The Line will come up.

I just bought a little windows 10 PC and running Mobile Sheets ... wondering if there's a way to implement something like this. 

A REAL quick way to bring up songs either in the setlist or the song library.

It would be great if, when we call an audible (which we OFTEN do), I could simply type in the name of the song and with each letter, it begins to bring up that certain song.
12 tablets (Insignia, ONN, Dragon Touch). Ranging from Android 5 to 9.
In the Windows 10 version, if you have a setlist loaded and you hit the "S" key, it will bring up a window where you can search for a song in the setlist, hit down twice to get to it and then hit enter to select it. I probably should modify the logic so that if you hit enter and there is only one result listed, it just loads that result. 

I will need to add support for launching a dialog to find another song and load it through the pedal actions. I do plan on adding a separate key bindings screen for windows (so that it's less confusing than binding a keyboard key to a pedal action), but I haven't had time to implement it. So in the short term, I can just add that to the list of supported pedal actions so you could trigger the dialog with a key of your choice. The other thing that would be better about a separate key bindings screen is that I can support key modifier combinations like Ctrl+key, Alt+Key, etc.

Mike
I'm not sure that I'm following (though Mike seems to).

But doesn't the general search filter box where you just type in the job already? And also doesn't the letter bar with a long press already the same in a way?

Or do you want not to select the box at all and type away? (Maybe then focusing the box as soon as you type on a keyboard could be it if not another filter box is selected)

The results are showing all songs containing the typed part (which is good). But maybe Mike can provide a sorting option where the results matching the beginning at the top (and the partual matches after that).
(02-01-2020, 05:46 PM)BRX Wrote: I'm not sure that I'm following (though Mike seems to).

But doesn't the general search filter box where you just type in the job already? And also doesn't the letter bar with a long press already the same in a way?

Or do you want not to select the box at all and type away? (Maybe then focusing the box as soon as you type on a keyboard could be it if not another filter box is selected)

The results are showing all songs containing the typed part (which is good). But maybe Mike can provide a sorting option where the results matching the beginning at the top (and the partual matches after that).

I guess in my case it may be a little different?
When I'm at the piano, 99% of the time the singer is calling songs before the current song is done. The ability to keep playing with my left hand and simply start typing the first few letters of the song title on my MacBook is an immeasurable time-saver.  It saves multiple tasks (clicks, mouse moves, etc).

Maybe it could just be some sort of optional setting? I'm just spit-balling.

When we're doing duo gigs, I'll just use my MacBook for charts and I use the Music Binder Pro. It's really only good for this one trick. In all other instances, I'm using my tablet with MSP.  When getting to the end of a song and I get the call for the next song, middle press the current chart, press the "back" arrow, then either scroll through the setlist or tap into the search bar, then start typing the name of the song. When found, click on the song.

I can't tell you how many times I've missed the "back" arrow or misplaced a tap when I'm playing keyboards.  This is also exacerbated when I'm on a smaller tablet and with all the filter options, my search bar to tap into is VERY small.

It may sound minuscule but those extra 4-5 actions take up a lot of valuable dead time.  I guess I'm just proposing a super quick way to search.

A lot of the gigs we play, we have to keep the music going and we don't have the luxury of stopping one song and waiting the few seconds for me to bring up the next tune.

This is just a suggestion. If it's not feasible for anyone else, then I'll try and be more accurate with my finger taps and try to get to songs quicker.
12 tablets (Insignia, ONN, Dragon Touch). Ranging from Android 5 to 9.
Would my suggestion above not meet your needs? You would be able to bring up the "Find and load song" dialog by pressing a key. So you could have the 'F' key bring up that dialog, for example (I don't currently support modifiers as explained above). The pedal actions can be mapped to any key and I would just add that dialog as an option in the pedal action list.

Mike