• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Configuration for bands
Question 
Hello,

I've been advised to use MobileSheets to digitize our sheet music and do what I'm describing below.
I don't see how the application can allow us as a music group to each have our own scores, but to share the same setlist.
Let me explain: I want to create a setlist with ~50 songs that I want to share with my band members, so that we all have the same songs. I've managed to do this. However, the score is identical on each share.
I'd like each member to have the same setlist, but each with their own score on their tablet (vocals, piano, guitar, drums, etc.).
Is this possible? If so, how do I go about it?

Another question that could help me enormously if what I'm asking above is possible: is it also possible, with the application, for me to choose to play track "A", and with the tablets synchronized live, for everyone to have their own score displayed for this track "A"?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day.
It is possible to handle this currently, but it's a little tedious. This is going to be improved significantly once I add support for song versioning which is going to be a massive change that is planned around 2-3 major updates from now. In the meantime, you will need to do the following:

1) If sharing setlists, you need to select the setlist, tap Share->Export song list, and then send the .mss file to each member. If they import that .mss file, it will create the setlist using their own songs and files. So each member has to already have imported the PDFs they want to use with the setlist.
2) You either need to use the same titles for songs on each tablet (but with different PDFs), or you need to populate the Song ID field to ensure songs are matched up properly
3) You will not be able to utilize library backups or the sync library feature to synchronize devices. Each user will have to manage their own device and library to ensure they use the versions of the PDFs they want

Alternatively, you can have one master library that has every PDF with every version, but then each user has to assign the song IDs to the versions they want to use. 

By contract, the song versioning will allow multiple versions of a song, and my plan is to add "roles" where a role could be an instrument or other designator, and if a user selects a "role", they will automatically load the correct version of a song for their role. Each song version will of course have a selector for the role assigned to that version. I know a lot of users are anxious for this feature, and it's one I very much want to add, but it's going to take months of development so I want to get a few other things completed first. 

Mike
(08-22-2023, 10:21 PM)Alexh Wrote: Hello,

I've been advised to use MobileSheets to digitize our sheet music and do what I'm describing below.
I don't see how the application can allow us as a music group to each have our own scores, but to share the same setlist.
Let me explain: I want to create a setlist with ~50 songs that I want to share with my band members, so that we all have the same songs. I've managed to do this. However, the score is identical on each share.
I'd like each member to have the same setlist, but each with their own score on their tablet (vocals, piano, guitar, drums, etc.).
Is this possible? If so, how do I go about it?

Another question that could help me enormously if what I'm asking above is possible: is it also possible, with the application, for me to choose to play track "A", and with the tablets synchronized live, for everyone to have their own score displayed for this track "A"?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day.

I am handling a similar problem, in that I need to share setlists between 2 devices with different versions of the music - in my case for a 10" tablet and for a 7" tablet.  I have a strict naming protocol for each song, but I have 2 pdf versions - a 7 inch one and a 10 inch one - both files have the same filename.  I put the 7" version in a folder on google drive named pdf7 and the 10" version in a folder on google drive named pdf10.  This makes it easy for me to import that appropriate version to the right tablet.  If I create my setlist on one device and export it to the google drive, the other device can import it and create the same setlist using it's own versions of the document.

I don't use the sync feature as it does not allow me to sync metadata such as artist, collection etc without trying to sync the actual pdf file.  That means when I import a song, I need to create metadata individually on each tablet.  However, I've found this to be a workable solution.