• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Option to sync only the database file.
I use mobile sheet on to windows tablet computers that share det same folder on Onedrive with the purpose of more smooth syncing. If I replace an pdf with an updated version it appears instally on both computers wich is nice. But if I change the setliste i have to manually copy the database file from one computer to the other. That also works. But it would be very nice with and option to sync only the database file and not checking for updated songs. That will also be usefull if changes is made out playing because it is much less data if using mobile connection.
This would be something nice to have.  I asked for this in another thread for a different reason. 

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...5#pid34185

I have all my Files on the sd card in my own folder structure. I sync this Files with an external Tool. So it would be nice if synching only the Database would be possible without transfering the Files. Something like a checkbox for including the Files or not in the sync dialog.

Mike wrote in the other thread that backing up only the Database could cause trouble. I agree.
But maybe during the sync between the devices there could be a possibility.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
One thing you can do is set up the sync to be one-way and then change the merge behavior to only merge new songs and groups. That will avoid checking for updated songs and will only process new additions to the library and any changes to the groups. I think this is basically what you are asking for, but let me know if that differs in some way from what you are looking for. Don't forget that if you want to use a basic file synchronization approach, you can also synchronize the database file between devices. On Android, you just need to enable Settings->Storage->Expose Database. On Windows, you would just have to synchronize the C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState folder between devices.

Mike
(01-20-2022, 04:40 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: One thing you can do is set up the sync to be one-way and then change the merge behavior to only merge new songs and groups. That will avoid checking for updated songs and will only process new additions to the library and any changes to the groups. I think this is basically what you are asking for, but let me know if that differs in some way from what you are looking for. Don't forget that if you want to use a basic file synchronization approach, you can also synchronize the database file between devices. On Android, you just need to enable Settings->Storage->Expose Database. On Windows, you would just have to synchronize the C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState folder between devices.

Mike

I'm trying this approach, but I'm stuck at syncing the folder with the database file, at least via OneDrive. Does the mobilesheets.db file always live in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState? I see that the MobileSheets storage location can be changed to any folder, including a OneDrive cloud folder, but the actual database file doesn't seem movable.

Could see if Google Drive or Dropbox have a way of syncing this folder if OneDrive won't do it.
I have made a temporary solution with two windows bath files. I use one batch file on computer 1 that copies the database file to Onedrive. And on computer 2 I use another batch file that copies the database file from Onedrive to the right folder. That is very much what I need. My hobo-solution works ok but it would be much more elegant to be able to do it from inside Mobilesheet without closing the app. 

A solution could be to add a option in the syncronize library. (There are allready options that must be use carefully). It could say: Sync only database-info (not songs). I don't think anyone would choose that option without knowing what it dose and it dose say that it dosen't sync songs. 

An option like that can be use when using shared foldes via Onedrive, but it can also be used when there is no new songs but only chance of setlists, annotion and other information. The way I work, the songs are mostly made and added at home, but setlist and annotation are often changed out playing. It would be nice to have and option for easy and fast syncronizing when there is no need for updating the song-files.

If I choose to only look for new files, then I won't get updated annotation on all the other files, will I?
As I've said elsewhere, I don't particularly like providing options to users that can result in them having a broken library if they don't know what they are doing. You said that you don't think anyone would enable that option without knowing what it does, but I used to provide an option like that for library backups where users could only backup the database, and users would lose their library, restore their database-only backup and then get mad at me when they lost all of their song files because they chose not to back them up. I don't want to deal with angry users, so I limit the ability for users to create these scenarios. Having said that, I know there is a subset of users that would like access to these more "dangerous" options, so I will probably add some kind of "advanced user" toggle at some point that warns the user that they could potentially destroy their library if they utilize those kinds of settings. Then I could make this kind of an option available as it would be at the user's own risk. If they destroy their library, I would expect them not to come to me afterward. 

If you choose to only look for new files, then you are correct - you will not get updated annotations on any other songs in the library.

Mike
Quote:but I used to provide an option like that for library backups where users could only backup the database, and users would lose their library, restore their database-only backup and then get mad at me when they lost all of their song files because they chose not to back them up.

Was this back with the old MS (before Pro)? I've requested this quite some time ago and can't remember it was ever available since I'm "on board" (but remember your reasoning). Of course I'd like to second an advanced option (with all warnings you deem necessary).