• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not all annotations displayed anymore
Hello, 

I have been working on a setlist with 24 pieces and made a lot of annotations.
I did not  conciously work with layers and there do not seem to be multiple layers.

After putting it aside for a week, I got back to it and saw, that part of the annotations have disappeared or at least are not visible.
I've tried everything I could imagine to make them visible again, but I can't find a solution. (Show annotations - on, Layer Menu - everything on)

I cannot imagine what could have happened.

Can anyone help here, please?
Claude Weber (pianist) - Luxembourg

Mobile Sheets Pro 3.4.6. from Zubersoft Store (for e-ink device)
on BOOX Max2Pro Android Version 6.0.1
Did you select the option to embed the annotations in the PDF itself or are you saving them normally in MobileSheetsPro? If you go to into the annotation settings and you enable the option to allow editing of embedded PDF annotations, do those annotations suddenly appear? If we can't find an easy solution, I'll need to continue this conversation with you over email so that you can send me additional details and potentially files. I may need you to export the song as a .msf so that I can import it and observe what you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike
(03-05-2022, 05:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Did you select the option to embed the annotations in the PDF itself or are you saving them normally in MobileSheetsPro? If you go to into the annotation settings and you enable the option to allow editing of embedded PDF annotations, do those annotations suddenly appear? If we can't find an easy solution, I'll need to continue this conversation with you over email so that you can send me additional details and potentially files. I may need you to export the song as a .msf so that I can import it and observe what you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello Mike,
I tried the option with embedded PDF annotations, but that doesn't change anything.
What do you want me to send you?

Long press your song on the library screen, tap Share->Export as .msf and send the .msf file to mike@zubersoft.com. It would help to know what annotations I should be looking for that are not showing up. If you bring up the layers window in the annotation editor, does it seem like the missing annotations are in the list?

Mike
Hello Mike

I exported the msf file.
Two weeks ago, I saved a pdf file with the annotations I had already made (as a backup).
The annotations in the pdf should mostly (apart from a few later changes) be those that should be in the msf file, but which I can't see.
Concerning your question about what I see in the Layer Editor, I'm not quite sure. On some pages, I think, there are more elements in the list than I see, but on other pages (like page 1) there are no elements at all in the list but there should be.

Where can I send you the files?
Thanks for your help.
Claude

Can you email the file to mike@zubersoft.com? That would be the simplest thing as long as the file is less than 25 MB, otherwise it will need to be shared through a cloud storage service such as Google Drive. That's really concerning if the layers window shows absolutely no annotations on a page where you believe there should be some. I can see if any of the annotations are failing to be initialized, but otherwise that would imply that somehow they were deleted... I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello Mike,
is there now a solution to the problem? I think, I´m affected too and thats why i´m interested.
Regards
Andreas
I was not able to identify or reproduce any issues, so nothing has been changed yet. I've been wondering if the problem may be related in some way to the automatic save feature which may be triggering at the same time as a user manually exiting and saving the annotations, but it's hard to verify if this is related in any way. You can go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Automatic Database Backup to revert your library to a point several days earlier to recover annotations. I would also recommend turning off the option in the annotation editor to automatically save changes if that is currently enabled to see if that has any impact on the problem you are seeing. 

If there is some kind of bug here that needs to be addressed, I'm going to need to understand what steps are necessary to reproduce the issue. How often is the issue occurring and what actions led up to it? I would also need to know if any annotation settings have been changed from the defaults that could be involved, as well as which rendering library is selected under Settings->Display Settings->Render Preference, as this can also be involved if you are currently editing embedded PDF annotations.

Mike

UPDATE:
I have created tests where I force the automatic saving to trigger at the exact same time as exiting the annotation editor which also triggers a save. This all works fine and the annotations are saved correctly. So I'm going to need help identifying what actions lead up to annotations not being displayed as expected. As a side note, I had advised Claude to use the "Embed annotations" feature in the annotation editor to save the annotations in the underlying PDF itself. This is something you can also consider if you have any concerns about MobileSheetsPro saving the annotations in the database. It's also important to note that a large number of users are utilizing the annotation feature and I'm not getting reports of missing annotations, so I think this issue is extremely rare.
Not sure if this is completely related, but last week I ran into a strange issue that seems relevant.

I imported a hymnal of 800 or so pages into MSP. I bookmarked all the songs/numbers in Acrobat and those bookmarks worked fine in MSP. 

A retirement home gave me their list of 150 of those hymns that the residents could choose from during sing-ins.

So I started annotating and writing down the relevant chords above the notes. Might have done 20 or so songs. I'd (re)bookmark the annotated songs so they show on top in MSP and I'd occasionally "snippet" the results into individual song entries for easier access.

Then last Sunday I had another service to play in, I opened the hymnal pdf and clicked on one of the newly generated bookmarks. I ended up on a page that was 10-20 pages away from the intended song. It did show my annotations though, but the result was obviously useless.

I have experienced the odd duplication or migration of annotations before, I recall them moving a page left, but never seen this. It kinda freaked me out to be honest. 

I've recreated the hymnal pdf on my pc just to be sure, imported that one in MSP and removed the old one. So far, so good. Haven't tried making snippets yet, not sure if it was related either but still.

Amyway there's some rare occasion apparently where annotations glitch up, I'll keep an eye out and make regular backups to hopefully identify something reproducible.
(03-24-2022, 07:15 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I was not able to identify or reproduce any issues, so nothing has been changed yet. I've been wondering if the problem may be related in some way to the automatic save feature which may be triggering at the same time as a user manually exiting and saving the annotations, but it's hard to verify if this is related in any way. You can go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Automatic Database Backup to revert your library to a point several days earlier to recover annotations. I would also recommend turning off the option in the annotation editor to automatically save changes if that is currently enabled to see if that has any impact on the problem you are seeing. 

If there is some kind of bug here that needs to be addressed, I'm going to need to understand what steps are necessary to reproduce the issue. How often is the issue occurring and what actions led up to it? I would also need to know if any annotation settings have been changed from the defaults that could be involved, as well as which rendering library is selected under Settings->Display Settings->Render Preference, as this can also be involved if you are currently editing embedded PDF annotations.

Mike

UPDATE:
I have created tests where I force the automatic saving to trigger at the exact same time as exiting the annotation editor which also triggers a save. This all works fine and the annotations are saved correctly. So I'm going to need help identifying what actions lead up to annotations not being displayed as expected. As a side note, I had advised Claude to use the "Embed annotations" feature in the annotation editor to save the annotations in the underlying PDF itself. This is something you can also consider if you have any concerns about MobileSheetsPro saving the annotations in the database. It's also important to note that a large number of users are utilizing the annotation feature and I'm not getting reports of missing annotations, so I think this issue is extremely rare.
Leider hat sich der Fehler bei mir wohl schon vor längerer Zeit unbemerkt eingeschlichen. In einem Backup von 2020-06-15 werden die Anmerkungen noch korrekt dargestellt. Das nächste verfügbare Backup von
2021-11-30 zeigt sie nicht mehr. Ich werde Dir Screenshots und *.msf-Dateien eines Songs schicken.
Es scheinen auch nicht alle Songs betroffen zu sein, aber ich habe noch keinen Überblick, da meine Bibliothek aus ca. 800 Songs besteht. In letzter Zeit habe ich die Musik wohl etwas vernachlässigt...

Google translates it as follows (I can't do it better either):

Unfortunately, the error crept in for me, probably a long time ago, unnoticed. In a backup from 2020-06-15, the annotations are still displayed correctly. The next available backup of
2021-11-30 doesn't show them anymore. I will send you screenshots and *.msf files of a song.
Not all songs seem to be affected either, but I don't have an overview yet because my library consists of around 800 songs. I guess I've been neglecting music a bit lately...
Regards
Andreas