• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing
New to this forum so please forgive me if the topic has already been covered. Also I hope I am posting in the correct place.

I am using Mobilesheet Version 3.4.8. on a Windows 11 laptop.

My problem is importing. I am trying to import several different versions of the same song. This is completely successful for some songs. In other cases Mobilesheets seems to detect the song I am trying to import and displays a rename option for the song. So I allow Mobilesheets to rename the song and tick the box to allow this action for all other songs. Sometimes mobilesheets reports that the song has been imported and closes the import operation. Sometimes it reports the import as successful but the import message box stays open and continues to report the file is downloading. The only way I can close this is to go to windows Task manager and force mobilesheets to close. In either case the song I am trying to download has not been downloaded. If this happened all the time I could quite easily believe that I am doing something wrong. But it appears to be intermittent.
Sounds like there may be some bugs I need to address. Is the easiest way to reproduce this problem to import multiple files that match the names of existing files in the library but are different versions, then select the option to rename and apply it all? How large are the files? Do I need to use larger files so that the download takes longer or does that not seem to matter? Are you using Import->Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive or are you using Import->Batch Import?

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks for your very quick reply.

First, I am importing from a external hard drive and have had no problems on my win10 computer. Only on this win11 laptop. I am not using Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive. I use Sync.com for my cloud storage. And have had no problems with this service.

Second, The size of my music files vary between about 500kb and 1050kb. Depending on the particular piece of music. So I don't think you have a problem that way.

Lastly, I deleted a particular version of a song that I had previously imported then tried to import the version of the song that I really wanted. No success. Then I deleted all versions of the song and again tried to import the song that I was after. Success. Following this I tried to re-import the versions that I had just deleted. Once again I got the message saying import was successful but after inspection of the song list the re-imports were not there. Although the song that I really wanted was there.

To my way of thinking, there appears to be a problem with the re-naming facility in mobilesheets. I have checked the settings menu and I can't see anything to do with re-naming. Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Colin
When you say, "no success" what exactly does that mean? Did you get an error message? Did it say the import was successful but nothing happened? Did you get a file conflict dialog asking how you wanted to handle the file? Was the file a duplicate file that was ignore because it already matched something in the library? On the file import settings dialog, what duplicate file behavior do you have selected? How are you going about verifying whether an import is successful or not? Are you just looking for the songs on the songs tab? Are you reimporting files with the same name? If so, it should be popping up a file conflict dialog for each and every file, unless they are duplicates and are ignored. 

As a side note, I think you may be much better off using a trick where you can manage your own files and folders. You would just need to do the following:

1) Go to Settings->Storage->Set MobileSheets Storage Location and select a folder you want to manage. The library will be moved there
2) Before importing any file, copy it into the storage location under a folder you want it be under
3) Now import the file and there will be no conflicts. MobileSheets does not try to move files that are already inside the storage location when imported.

If you do that, you'll never have file conflicts, and if you want to update an existing song, you can either use the swap file feature or just drop the PDF in the storage location and replace the existing version. MobileSheets will scan for changes when it sees the file has changed and will account for a different number of pages if needed.

I would like to resolve any issues, because you said the process dialog never closes while importing. That definitely sounds like a major problem. You said you are importing from an external hard drive, but you did not indicate which process you used in MobileSheets to import the files. Are you using Import->Local File? How are you selecting multiple files with the same name if you do this as that should be impossible from a single folder? That's why I need more information on exactly how to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike
Once again, thanks for getting back to me. I am travelling at the moment so will try to answer all your questions as soon as I can get a few minutes to do so. 

Colin