• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup/restore versus Sync
Hello,

I use currently Mobilesheets on my Android tablet. I would like now to have the same image on my Android phone.

I would like to better understand differences between Backup/restore and Sync:
- Do they share the same database files ?
- to sync 2 devices, should I start with Backup (on the first device) /restore to have a first global same image on the 2nd device, then after use Syn ?
- or should I keep the 2 functions separated ? Backup/restore in case of crash/stolen and sync to synchronize the devices
- more generally speaking what could be the best procedure to clone from 1 master device to a secondary new device, then after to sync the secondary device when changes have been made on the master device

Thank you for your advises
- Do they share the same database files ?

They don't share the same file, but if you backup/restore, you'll get an exact copy of the database on the device that is restoring the backup. So it effectively accomplishes the same thing. If you do a direct sync over WiFi, MobileSheets will compare the two databases and act on the differences depending on your selections. This will ensure the libraries have the same content in them, but the database may not be an exact copy on each device. This generally doesn't matter though.

- to sync 2 devices, should I start with Backup (on the first device) /restore to have a first global same image on the 2nd device, then after use Syn ?

Yes, that is the best way to do it for sure. As then you have identical libraries which actually speeds up the sync a little and ensures everything matches up correctly.

- or should I keep the 2 functions separated ? Backup/restore in case of crash/stolen and sync to synchronize the devices

No need for that, but I would recommend either occasionally creating a backup (to safeguard your application settings as well) or using the Settings->Backup and Restore->Export Settings to occasionally backup the settings. I plan to add an option to sync settings in the future.

- more generally speaking what could be the best procedure to clone from 1 master device to a secondary new device, then after to sync the secondary device when changes have been made on the master device

Just use the sync feature to push new changes, as it's the fastest way to handle it.

Mike