• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Just saw the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra at the Samsung website: 14.6 in. Super AMOLED screen. Sounds great. But the price is too high for me, so will wait and see if I can get it used or as a 'second' someday, as I did with my current Galaxy Note Pro (12.4 screen). The 12.4 works pretty well for me, but I wouldn't mind a little more width...
If you have an older Samsung tablet they'll except on trade, you can do what I did. I scored an S8 Ultra from Samsung last August for about $650 and it included a set of Budz2 earbuds for free. Check their website as the special was still running as of 10 days ago. Basically you select the Ultra then go to the "trade-in" window. I was shocked to see that the gave me $500 off for a Tab S7 lite in trade ($600 for iPads). I paid $150 less than that for it at Costco 6-months prior.
I have a Galaxy View 1 with an 18.4 inch screen and MobileSheets that I use for a 2 page display.

Chris

[Image: uPJdmAC.jpeg]
(02-14-2023, 10:17 AM)cebracher Wrote: I have a Galaxy View 1 with an 18.4 inch screen and MobileSheets that I use for a 2 page display.

Chris

[Image: uPJdmAC.jpeg]
 Just a comment.  A 2 page view would be great on keyboards.

But on trombone it is unusable.  The slide is to the left of the stand, and can't move farther right without hitting it.  My vision is such that I can only see well for one page to the right of the trombone.  That's the main reason I went to the tablet.  My eyes are fine for one page, but many charts are multiple pages, and I always struggled after the first.
I did go ahead with the Samsung Tab S8 Ultra -- it works great in landscape orientation for displaying 2 pages at once at the keyboard. I do find it a little small to read easily sometimes, depending on the complexity of the score.

The Samsung DeX environment is nice (it creates a Windows-like multi-window kind of layout, among other things), but with it enabled, unfortunately auto-rotate of tablet orientation is disabled and you are locked into landscape mode.  To switch to single-page mode (portrait mode), you have to disable DeX.

Other than that, very happy with the tablet choice, even if it was pretty spendy (over $1000 including the keyboard/case).
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra
Friend of mine in the band just bought the S8 Ultra (and MobileSheets - do I get commission?!). Others in the band are murmuring about getting tablets now. Currently up to 6 with them...
After 8 years using a 2-in-1 notebook to read and annotate sheet music, I'm considering switching to a tablet like the Samsung Galaxy S8 Ultra, which has a diagonal a little smaller than my current 15.6" screen, but there's a ratio of 16:10 closer to sheet music. Has anyone made this migration from Windows to Android? Is it possible to migrate of all the annotations taken in Windows MobileSheets? In addition, I use surveillance camera software on the front camera of my notebook so that, if there is movement in a certain spot of the video, turn the page for me. This is very useful, since, in addition to being a violinist, I am also an organist, and we often have our hands and feet fully occupied. I saw on my cell phone that from Android 12, there is a accessibility feature that translates certain facial movements into keyboard keys. Has anyone used this feature in MobileSheets?
(06-08-2023, 06:37 PM)spandit Wrote: Friend of mine in the band just bought the S8 Ultra  

I have one too, bought a couple weeks ago. Fantastic. Even horizontal 2-page mode is useful (depending on the type of chart)
(06-29-2023, 09:11 PM)abaymajr Wrote: After 8 years using a 2-in-1 notebook to read and annotate sheet music, I'm considering switching to a tablet like the Samsung Galaxy S8 Ultra, which has a diagonal a little smaller than my current 15.6" screen, but there's a ratio of 16:10 closer to sheet music. Has anyone made this migration from Windows to Android? Is it possible to migrate of all the annotations taken in Windows MobileSheets? In addition, I use surveillance camera software on the front camera of my notebook so that, if there is movement in a certain spot of the video, turn the page for me. This is very useful, since, in addition to being a violinist, I am also an organist, and we often have our hands and feet fully occupied. I saw on my cell phone that from Android 12, there is a accessibility feature that translates certain facial movements into keyboard keys. Has anyone used this feature in MobileSheets?

Just to update this thread. I was able to use Android 13's accessibility features by associating facial gestures (smile, eyebrow raise, etc.) with with page-swiping touch gestures. It's not a very obvious feature, but once enabled, tested and configured, simply set a touch command to quickly turn the feature on and off.
That's a good workaround until the built-in facial gesture recognition is available. Thanks for sharing!

Mike
(10-03-2023, 09:26 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's a good workaround until the built-in facial gesture recognition is available. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

As I said, the Android acessibility feature works well adapted to the MobileSheets. However, it is not perfect. Firstly, it is not possible to assign to facial gesture a keyboard shortcut, only touch gesture, which is not as fast as keytroke for page turning and have to be recorded carefully to be usefull for both portrait and landscape orientations. Another is that the list of recognizable facial gestures is relatively small. A smile to turn a page is ok. However, it is a relatively common/easy facial expression, which can cause inadvertent page flipping. The same to eyebrow raising. It would be even better if there were facial gestures that were less confusing with common expressions, such as raising one corner of the mouth or another, or blinking one of the two eyes, raising the nose, showing the tip of tongue (lol), etc. If Mobilesheets incoming built-in gesture recognition feature would have these differences, it will very welcome. 

BTW, as for recognition, It would also be very welcome if MobileSheets could one day recognize writing and assign it to certain special characters like fingerings, dynamics, articulations, etc.