• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorting and grouping
I'll start with an example:

I have a huge library of classical vocal music, and a GENRE called OPERA ARIAS with about 400 entries. If I open that genre, I get the full list, sorted and grouped alphabetically by TITLE. (I know I can also sort by change date, entry date and certain other criterias.)

What I really would love to do, though, is to sort and group this list by COMPOSER (alphabetically). I know I can use filters, but that would be a lot more cumbersome and give another result.

Is there any way to do this (that I haven't seen), or could it be possible to implement this; to sort/group a long list by other criterias than title?
A song can exist in multiple collections so why don't you just create a collection for each composer?

Assuming you already have this info in the Composers field then filter on this field to isolate one composer.
Select all the displayed songs (long press one song and then tap the open square at the bottom right).
Having selected the songs, tap 3 dots (top right) and "Create Collection from Songs"

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(07-08-2022, 06:14 PM)Geoff Bacon Wrote: A song can exist in multiple collections so why don't you just create a collection for each composer?

Assuming you already have this info in the Composers field then filter on this field to isolate one composer.
Select all the displayed songs (long press one song and then tap the open square at the bottom right).
Having selected the songs, tap 3 dots (top right) and "Create Collection from Songs"

Geoff

Creating a collection for a composer would be a bit double work, as all entries also have COMPOSER attached to them Smile

What it looks like now is this:

GENRE

A  (title)
          B  (title)
          C  (title)

What I would love to see is this:

GENRE

A (composer)
               a (title)
               b (title)
         B (composer)

a (title)
               b (title)

or for example this:       

COMPOSER

A (GENRE)
               a (title)
               b (title)
         B (GENRE)
               a (title)
               b (title)
I don't currently support sorting on all of the metadata fields. You can certainly add the composer tab, and as you've said, you can filter on the other fields, but you can't group or sort the data based on other fields. Grouping it based on things like composer or genre would require a lot of significant changes to the way songs are grouped and visualized on the library screen, so that's not something I can commit to anytime soon, but adding more sorting options is something I can support sooner. You'd have to change the song title formatting to display the field you want to sort on in order for it to make sense though.

Mike
(07-09-2022, 03:41 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I don't currently support sorting on all of the metadata fields. You can certainly add the composer tab, and as you've said, you can filter on the other fields, but you can't group or sort the data based on other fields. Grouping it based on things like composer or genre would require a lot of significant changes to the way songs are grouped and visualized on the library screen, so that's not something I can commit to anytime soon, but adding more sorting options is something I can support sooner. You'd have to change the song title formatting to display the field you want to sort on in order for it to make sense though.

Mike

Really appreciate the answer! On one hand, it is a function that would be fantastic to have, on the other hand, I understand it would be a lot of work, and it is still an amazing app as it is Smile
You could add the composer field reference to the displayed title. Or rename songs to start with the composer's last name (I've done this for the classical songs in my library).
Sam

Surface Pro 7 with MSP