• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import from *.mss file not working with pdfs !!update : my misunderstanding
Hi,

I want to clean up my library by starting a new one and importing song lists in the new library.
No need to import files, since they are all still at the same place and the storage directory is the same.
It works fine with *.pro files, importing every single one.
However *. pdf  are not imported at all, 0 files, all placeholders.
*.csv pdf files, same thing, no imports, just placeholders.

Is this not supposed to work? 

This is on a micro SDXC card on a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, win10, 

UPDATE: Just noticed that instead of importing a bunch of pdf (from a csv book pdf file), it imported pro files. 
              So not all placeholders.... 
              One file that was a *.pro file was not imported either, just a placeholder.
              These are all my Beatles song charts, but one file was imported that is not even a Beatles song, 
              just a *.pro file from a different folder altogether (although still a subfolder from the MS storage folder.

Dan
Dan,

I'm not sure what process you used for starting a new library, but if you use the option to import a .mss file (is that what you mean by song list?), it will create a setlist by referencing existing songs in the library. If those songs don't exist, it can't reference them, so placeholders are created. You can't export and import songs in this manner - you have to use a .msf file for that.

Mike
(08-29-2022, 03:25 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Dan,

I'm not sure what process you used for starting a new library, but if you use the option to import a .mss file (is that what you mean by song list?), it will create a setlist by referencing existing songs in the library. If those songs don't exist, it can't reference them, so placeholders are created. You can't export and import songs in this manner - you have to use a .msf file for that.

Mike

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

I just created a new library with a different name than the original default one. 
This is in the same windows computer, same data directory, have not moved or added anything.

I exported the song list from the default library (as .mss file), switched to the new library and tried to import it (the .mss file).
The songs are all in the same place as the other library. They all exist in the same MS data sub-directory (of both libraries) as the default library.
MS should be able to locate them no problem. I cannot understand why this doesn't work. 
Again, importing pro files from another setlist worked fine.

Is it imperative that all songs from a setlist "must" be in the same sub-directory?
That is one difference from the two setlists; one contained songs all in one sub-directory (of the MS data directory),
while the other contained songs from three different sub-directories (of the MS data directory.
I will try and see if this makes a difference...

Dan
I think you are making some incorrect assumptions about how things are stored in MobileSheets. It's important to note that there isn't a one-to-one correlation between songs and files, and songs are containers for data and contain the file paths that link to the files they use. This is important because you could copy files into the storage location but MobileSheets will be completely unaware of their existence unless a song in the library references them. When you import a .mss file, the only thing that is listed in the mss file is the title of the song. MobileSheets then tries to look for a song in the active library with that title to add to the setlist that is being created or updated. If no song exists in the active library with that title, then it can't add it to the setlist. It doesn't matter if a song exists in the other library - the only thing that matters is whether the songs exists in the active library, and since you created a new library, the song doesn't exist in that library. That is why I said you have to transfer the song between the libraries using a .msf file. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I do plan on adding more options to make it easier to transfer songs between libraries, along with options to more quickly switch between libraries without having to dig into the settings screen.

It doesn't matter how your files are structured or where they currently are - MobileSheets is only going to look for songs in the library (i.e. entries in the database) when importing a .mss file. 

Mike
Thanks again for the reply, Mike.

Ok, my bad. You are right, I misunderstood how mss files function.
And the pro files were in fact already in the library which is why they worked flawlessly.

I will try with msf files, but I imagine that they also function differently than what I think.
I will read the manual first....  

Dan