• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move dbase file(s) to external sdcard?
Hi,

Is there a way to store the database (db) files to an external sdcard?
That is where the MS file directory is located and all my other files are (pdf, pro, jpg, mp3, etc).
It would then be easier to transfer everything to a new tablet. 
I am on Android 8. Also, the internal memory is getting near full, 
which is an extra reason to want the external card holding all MS data.

Dan
No, it's not possible to do that because I did not want the database stored on an SD card as it would cause severe problems if the user removed the SD card and then loaded MobileSheets, as MobileSheets would then revert to using internal storage with a new database instance, and if you then plugged in the SD card, it wouldn't know to switch back to the SD card database, and could potentially overwrite the file on the SD card. I've also seen SD cards go bad for users many times over the years, and that would cause the library to be lost if the database was only stored on the SD card. There are also issues with read/write speeds with some devices/SD cards which would dramatically impact the disk I/O with the SQLite database. 

As far as the internal storage, the database file is probably < 50 MB even if you have thousands of songs in your library.

If your storage location is set to the SD card, then the database is stored under /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files

Mike
Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Ok, that's reasonable.

One question, then.

If one moves the sdcard from a Samsung tablet to another Samsung tablet,
then copies the Zubersoft data folder from the first tablet internal card to the internal card of other tablet,
is there a good chance MS would start correctly in the second tablet with the transfered sdcard?

Dan
Did you consider the device sync feature to update the new tablet from the old?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
If you have set the storage location to a folder on the SD card and MobileSheets is managing all of your files/folders, then yes, it should transfer just fine because all paths in the database are relative to the storage location. If you manage your own files and folders, then no, it will most likely not transfer well because the SD card path is going to be different on every device (and every SD card). The OS assigns a mount path to the SD card when it's inserted, so you'll see the path is something like /storage/XXXX-XXXX where the X's are the letters A through F and numbers 0-9, so /storage/E84D-72FA, for example. So the database will have file paths that are invalid on the new device.

Mike
Ok I understand, thanks Mike.

And I was not aware of the device sync feature, I will definitely check that out, Johan.

Thanks to both you.

Dan