• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sending Program Changes from Mobilesheets to Gig Performer (Windows 10)
Hello,

I am a long time user of Mobilesheets.

I have recently started incorporating a Windows 10 Laptop with Gig Performer into my set up.

I am looking for guidance how to send program changes so whenever I switch songs in Mobilesheets it will automatically change to the same song in Gig Performer.

A wireless set up is preferred.  But, I would explore a wired (USB) option.

I use an RCA Android tablet for MS and a Windows 10 laptop (Dell) for Gig Performer.

Thanks for any guidance or direction.

Jeff
(08-23-2022, 02:27 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Hello,

I am a long time user of Mobilesheets.

I have recently started incorporating a Windows 10 Laptop with Gig Performer into my set up.

I am looking for guidance how to send program changes so whenever I switch songs in Mobilesheets it will automatically change to the same song in Gig Performer.

A wireless set up is preferred.  But, I would explore a wired (USB) option.

I use an RCA Android tablet for MS and a Windows 10 laptop (Dell) for Gig Performer.

Thanks for any guidance or direction.

Jeff
Could I potentially send (and have the laptop receive) midi program changes via bluetooth without any additional hardware (and without interfering with my bluetooth pedal).

Or do I need something like this? 

https://www.amazon.com/CME-WIDI-Bud-Pro-...3J3J5?th=1

(If so, would it connect to my tablet (would need convert to micro USB connection) or to my laptop (I would have to use a USB bus since I am running out of ports on laptop)

Is anyone doing this?

Jeff
If anyone else uses Gig Performer and is looking to automatically change songs (or rackspaces) when you select a song in Mobilesheets,

this walk thru at the Gig Performer forum may be helpful: https://community.gigperformer.com/t/mob...uter/11500
Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner Jeff - do you have the information you need now? As far as your question about how to connect the two over bluetooth, I think for something like this you would need to use virtual MIDI ports, which will work over USB, but I'm not sure if it's possible over bluetooth. 

Mike
(08-24-2022, 05:05 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner Jeff - do you have the information you need now? As far as your question about how to connect the two over bluetooth, I think for something like this you would need to use virtual MIDI ports, which will work over USB, but I'm not sure if it's possible over bluetooth. 

Mike

No problem, Mike.

My RCA tablet has a full sized USB A port.  I am picking up an additional USB A cable (and a right angle adapter) and I plant to try it out via the wired USB connection (rather than mess with wireless midi).

If this works out (fingers crossed) it will be great if my laptop automatically changes to the right song/rackspace in Gig Performer whenever I change the song in Mobilesheets.

If everything works right, that will probably lead me to increasingly use my laptop/Gig Performer/soft synths/sample libraries for all sounds and to use my physical keyboards solely as controllers.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jeff
(08-25-2022, 02:10 AM)jeffn1 Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 05:05 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner Jeff - do you have the information you need now? As far as your question about how to connect the two over bluetooth, I think for something like this you would need to use virtual MIDI ports, which will work over USB, but I'm not sure if it's possible over bluetooth. 

Mike

No problem, Mike.

My RCA tablet has a full sized USB A port.  I am picking up an additional USB A cable (and a right angle adapter) and I plant to try it out via the wired USB connection (rather than mess with wireless midi).

If this works out (fingers crossed) it will be great if my laptop automatically changes to the right song/rackspace in Gig Performer whenever I change the song in Mobilesheets.

If everything works right, that will probably lead me to increasingly use my laptop/Gig Performer/soft synths/sample libraries for all sounds and to use my physical keyboards solely as controllers.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jeff

So far, no luck.  I connected the RCA Android tablet to my WIndows 10 laptop via USB and there is no indication of any connection.  Ugh, nothing is easy.
So a few things:

1) Your tablet needs to be running Android 6.0 or higher in order to use the MIDI features Android added to the OS to support virtual MIDI ports
2) You need to drag down from the top of the Android screen while it's connected to the Windows device over USB, tap the USB connection and switch it to "MIDI" so that the USB connection is used for MIDI instead of file transfers
3) In MobileSheets, go to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, change the MIDI library to Google if needed, then you can connect to the virtual ports that should show up.
4) On your Windows device, you should see the Android MIDI ports show up so you can connect to them, and then messages will flow between MobileSheets and whichever software you use on the Windows device.

Mike
(08-25-2022, 05:48 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: So a few things:

1) Your tablet needs to be running Android 6.0 or higher in order to use the MIDI features Android added to the OS to support virtual MIDI ports
2) You need to drag down from the top of the Android screen while it's connected to the Windows device over USB, tap the USB connection and switch it to "MIDI" so that the USB connection is used for MIDI instead of file transfers
3) In MobileSheets, go to Settings->MIDI Settings->Configure MIDI Connections, change the MIDI library to Google if needed, then you can connect to the virtual ports that should show up.
4) On your Windows device, you should see the Android MIDI ports show up so you can connect to them, and then messages will flow between MobileSheets and whichever software you use on the Windows device.

Mike

Thanks for your help Mike.

In my case, my Windows Laptop did not recognize any connection to my RCA Pro Android tablet.

I am good with Android 6.0

I think one hurdle I have to overcome is a weird quirk that the RCA Android tablets apparently require some "special" USB cable to communicate with a Windows computer.

https://www.downtowndougbrown.com/2018/0...rough-usb/

So, I ordered the cable (and have my fingers crossed):  https://ishopdepotinc.com/products/speci...ablet-6-ft

We will see if I wasted $30.00.....

Thanks!

Jeff
That's very interesting... I'm curious how that cable differs from a regular USB-A to A cable. I guess we'll have to wait to see if it works for you.

Mike
(08-26-2022, 03:24 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That's very interesting... I'm curious how that cable differs from a regular USB-A to A cable. I guess we'll have to wait to see if it works for you.

Mike

I'll give you an update, Mike Wink