• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same pdf used in multiple songs
Hi,

a quick search hasn't yielded any results, but maybe my wording is wrong. My problem is this:

I have a setlist where different measures of the same piece should be played at different positions in the setlist. E.g. song 1 measures 1-100, song 2, song 1 measures 101-200, song 3, song 1 measures 201-300.

I usually crop pages to the relevant part. Cropping the page to measure 1-100 in the first occurance of song 1 results in it being cropped to those measures in all occurences of the same page of that song, however. Is there a way to prevent this other than just making and renaming copies of the file? (Ditching the setlist and slapping it all into one big song might also work, but would probably be much more work and lead to other consequences)

Thanks!
At the moment, there is no way to accomplish what you are wanting without copying a song and cropping each copy separately. The song versioning feature that is planned for later this year would give you a better way to solve this (you can find other threads talking about this), as you could just have two versions of the song, where the page is cropped differently in each version, and add each version to the setlist in the appropriate position.

Mike
Would something like this work?
Snippet 1, song 1 = song 1 measures 1-100, [uses pages 1-20, cropped]
Snippet 2, song 1 = song 2, measures 101-200 [uses pages 20-40 cropped]
Snippet 3, song 1 = song 3, measures 201-300 [uses pages 40-end cropped] 
Each snippet is treated as a separate song.
Set list = snippet 1; snippet 2; snippet 3, arranged however you want.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(05-11-2023, 06:17 AM)Skip Wrote: Would something like this work?
Snippet 1, song 1 = song 1 measures 1-100, [uses pages 1-20, cropped]
Snippet 2, song 1 = song 2, measures 101-200 [uses pages 20-40 cropped]
Snippet 3, song 1 = song 3, measures 201-300 [uses pages 40-end cropped] 
Each snippet is treated as a separate song.
Set list = snippet 1; snippet 2; snippet 3, arranged however you want.

If I understand you correctly that should work.
I have used this several times, 3 identical files with different file names.
Then you can set the pages for each file separately.
When we have versioning it will be great, but until then, this works.
Il ne faut pas rouler vite... il faut freiner tard
You could probably use a csv file to import the song; this could specify the page range for each chunk of songs. This would have the advantage of there being a single physical file.

Alternatively, if you only have a couple of files like this, it might be easier to split the file outside MSP and just import each bit as a separate file; this eliminates the need to crop out unwanted pages for each song. It also makes it easier to replace a portion of one of the songs (although this is unlikely to be an issue for you if you aren't adding more pages to song).
This would use similar storage to using a .csv

The easiest approach is probably to do what others have suggested - basically, just import the song multiple times and set the page range to remove unwanted pages. This will use more storage than the methods above but this should be be marginal if the file is chordpro or possibly a pdf. Might be more significant if you are using scanned images.

I suspect using the "Create Snippet" option in MSP just references the original source file rather than creating a separate file ie. this would be like using the csv option. Might be a bit more effort if you need to change the page range in one of the middle chunks.

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6