• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layers have been added in all my scores
Hello,
A strange bug happened : one or 2 layers have been added to all my scores, even the ones that didn't have one. Apparently the number of layers added is proportional to the number of existing layers (looks like n-1).
Those added layers appear first in the list. They stole the content of the pre-existing layers!, and the corresponding preexisting layers are now empty (I didn't check that intensively).
So, I think I can correct that easily by suppressing the former layers, and renaming the new ones with the former ones' names. But I have to do it on all my scores (about 100).
Any other idea ?
PS1: I have also this specific case : one layer (called Layer 1) has been added to my 2 former ones, Layer 1 stole the content of my 1st layer, and this 1st layer stole the content of my 2d layer, and that 2d layer is now empty. Seems it's just a circular permutation of the contents, after new layer(s) has(ve) been added, which makes sense.
PS2: Note that the added "Layer 1" is named in English, although I've parametered MS in French, so should be "Calque 1".
PS3: also, some time ago, I've seen that the order of my layers had been scrambled. I tried to use the reordering arrows with no effect (but I've read in another post that this feature is not working).
That is incredibly strange. No other user has reported anything like that happening, and I didn't really change anything related to layers in the previous few updates, so it's it seems like something unusual occurred in your database. Did this issue occur after updating MobileSheets? Or did it occur after some action like synchronizing your library? Do you use the companion application? We will need to track down what caused the issue. You can go to Settings->Backup and Restore->Restore Automatic Database Backup to revert your library to an earlier point which should reset the changes to the layers.

As a side note, not being able to reorder layers is not a bug or anything of that sort. I just don't support reordering layers at the moment. The reorder arrows are only for reordering annotations within a layer.

Thanks,
Mike
(04-01-2024, 11:29 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: That is incredibly strange. No other user has reported anything like that happening, and I didn't really change anything related to layers in the previous few updates, so it's it seems like something unusual occurred in your database. Did this issue occur after updating MobileSheets? Or did it occur after some action like synchronizing your library? Do you use the companion application?
As a side note, not being able to reorder layers is not a bug or anything of that sort. I just don't support reordering layers at the moment. The reorder arrows are only for reordering annotations within a layer.
Thanks,
Mike
Updating MS ? I remember seeing the change list recently, so probably... I am now in 3.8.36.
Syncronizing my library, yes, and through companion, yes. I did upload several times several files recently, and edited several others to add the timings.
(Note that I have a file in my library that always creates a wifi connexion problem, I am unable to update it (just to add the time), rather big file, whole op28 Chopin 108Mo 50 pages.)
(My DB weighs 1.19GB.)
I don't have a backup, but it won't be that long to rearrange the layers, I don't have that many files with annotations, I just began experimenting this feature. (I will have a question about the possibility to import the Pdf layers as MS annotation layers... but that's another subject. I didn't even make a try yet.)
Thanks 
(Can I do something to help ? I am waiting a bit before updating to 3.8.39)
PS: About reordering layers, yes I remember now reading in the Manual that the arrows were just for the annotations (after I found that my layers had been swapped ; that was a long time ago, several months).
Well every page has to have at least one layer (MobileSheets automatically creates one), so let me ask this - does this mean songs in your library with no annotations now have two layers? You said every song in your library was affected, correct? I'm going to need to figure out what list of steps results in the issue you are seeing. Given that you are using library synchronization and the companion, that increases the number of variables involved, so we will need to try to narrow this down. I synchronize all the time and regularly add songs with the companion, but I've never seen layers created out of nowhere, so I'll keep an eye for this, but without a list of steps to reproduce it, I don't have enough to go on to investigate it. If you can figure out a way to reliably reproduce an issue, please let me know and I'll make sure to get it fixed immediately.

Thanks,
Mike
(04-02-2024, 10:19 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Well every page has to have at least one layer (MobileSheets automatically creates one), so let me ask this - does this mean songs in your library with no annotations now have two layers? You said every song in your library was affected, correct? ...
Thanks,
Mike

I can answer for the songs that didn't have any annotations before, it's probably interesting. I see 2 cases :
- those which now have 3 layers : 
  • if I unselect the 1st one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 2d are unselected
  • if I unselect the 2d one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 2d are unselected
  • if I unselect the 3rd one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 3rd are unselected
  • if I delete any of the 3, they are all deleted (well, no, there is always a "Layer 1" which remains) on this page only, all others keep 2 "Layer 1" ; if I redo the same on another page, the 2 layers disappear on that page, but all other n-2 pages return to normal i.e. one "Layer 1".
  • then I quit MobileSheets, and enter it again, and display the same song : the 2 pages in which I deleted layers have now a normal "Calque 1" layer (french name for layer), but all other pages keep one "Layer 1" layers.
- those which now have 4 layers : 
  • if I unselect the 1st one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 2d are unselected
  • if I unselect the 2d one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 2d are unselected
  • if I unselect the 3rd one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 3rd are unselected
  • if I unselect the 4th one (with the eye icon), the 1st and the 4th are unselected 
  • if I delete 1, 2 or 3, 2 layers "Layer 1" remain ; if then I delete those 2 layers, BOTH ARE DELETED, on the selected page only (although the "chain"icon is selected) ! I did it on another page, same as before, except that now all other pages have "Layer 1", as normally.
In fact, I can do a lot of experiments ! For instance :
- in a 3 layers-type, I changed the name of the 1st layer, now this layer is independent of the 2 others (on all pages) ; and now if I unselect the 2d one (with the eye icon), the 3rd and the 2d are unselected
- When opening a bigger song (22, 24 or 86 pages), I had this message for 2 or 3 seconds : "Modifications détectées dans les fichiers. Changements des fichiers" means : "Modifications detected in the files. Changing the files." I see that only on songs with 2  or 3 "Layer 1".
- But I didn't have this message on a 43 pages song with 4 "Layer 1". Deleting the 4th layer on one page deleted 2 layers on this page, and 1 on all other pages. Deleting the last ot the 3 remaining layers on another page deleted 2 layers on this page, and one on all others (including the 1st page where I deleted a layer)... Doing this again did the same, meaning that I had 3 pages without layers. Then I quit MobileShhet and entered again, the 3 pages without layers got a "Calque 1" layer, as already seen.
- Interesting : with this same 43 pages song. I connected the Companion, edited a minor attribute of this song (tempo). The 3 pages with one "Calque 1" layer have now one "Layer 1" layer, and all others have now 2 "Layer 1" layers. So the bug is really linked to the Companion.

Note that I use the Companion in english... (er... no other choice I think!). Version 3.2.0. On Windows 7 pack 2 64bits. (Yeah, PC from 2012.)

Also: not all songs have been affected by the bug : they have only 1 layer (called "Layer 1" and not "Calque 1", but ... maybe that was from the beginning...). I cannot identify any specificity for unaffected songs compared to others. The size of the song has no impact on the bug (some changed, some unchanged).
If possible, please create a library backup under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library, upload that to the cloud (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc) and share a link with mike@zubersoft.com. It sounds like something has gone seriously wrong in the database for those songs. If you are selecting properties for one layer and it's affecting multiple, that makes it sound like there are duplicate layers present in the songs, but I'm not sure how that's possible. No other user has reported this, so I believe it's an isolated issue, but I don't know how it got into that state on your device. I'll have to see if there is some code I can add to repair a library that has duplicate layers. I'll know more once I have a copy of your library to investigate this.

Thanks,
Mike