• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page turn with soft/sostenuto pedals issues
Hi,

I connected my kawaii electric piano to my tablet to use the pedals to flip the pages using the midi connection. I tested it and it works.

But, when I try to flip the pages while playing the piano, it does not work. This only happens if I'm pressing the piano keys while trying to flip the pages.

I connected my piano to my tablet with a USB A to B cable through a USB C hub. I also tried a USB C dock.

Can you please help?

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy tab s8 ultra with Android 13 and Mobilesheets version 3.6.2.

Thank you!
Hello,

What MIDI messages is your piano sending when you press the pedal? Is it also sending MIDI messages when you press the keys? If the pedal actions are tied to multiple MIDI messages, it's possible that the key down/up messages are being sent in between other messages, stopping MobileSheets from being able to detect the required sequence of messages to trigger the action for the pedal. 

Mike
Video 
(12-25-2022, 04:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello,

What MIDI messages is your piano sending when you press the pedal? Is it also sending MIDI messages when you press the keys? If the pedal actions are tied to multiple MIDI messages, it's possible that the key down/up messages are being sent in between other messages, stopping MobileSheets from being able to detect the required sequence of messages to trigger the action for the pedal. 

Mike

Here's a screenshot of what was sent when I pressed one pedal to set the page turn in the midi setting. I thought maybe the soft pedal was not working properly so I also tried setting the sostenuto pedal but they both behave they same way.

Both the soft and sostenuto pedals send 2 messages each.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's helpful. Now bring up the MIDI listen dialog (let me know if you need instructions for that), and press the pedal at the same time as the keys. Take a screenshot of that. We need to see if the pedal is sending those same commands when pressing the other keys on the keyboard.

Thanks,
Mike
Photo 
(12-25-2022, 04:54 AM)Cincin17 Wrote:
(12-25-2022, 04:46 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello,

Mike

Here's a screenshot of what was sent when I pressed one pedal to set the page turn in the midi setting. I thought maybe the soft pedal was not working properly so I also tried setting the sostenuto pedal but they both behave they same way.

Both the soft and sostenuto pedals send 2 messages each.

I pressed a couple keys and the pedal at the same time and here is a screenshot of what shows up.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is my suggestion - if you want to have the pedal action trigger when the pedal is pressed down, and not when it's released, change the MIDI action to trigger just on the first command (CC 67, Value 127). If you prefer to trigger it when the pedal is released, change it to CC 67, Value 0. If you only use that one command, then the keys can't interfere with the command. As it stands, based on your screenshot, the pedal is pressed down, the keys are played on the piano, and then you release the pedal, which splits up the two control change commands. 

Mike
Thank you so much! That works perfectly. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!!
I'm glad to hear that my suggestion worked. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you as well!

Mike