• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Select all bug?
I was trying to clone my db, for switching libraries, so I can make a smaller db for syncing with an ipad with much smaller storage.

After struggling with copying and renaming with the iOs files app (and learning that iOs is case sensitive and you can't even switch back to the other library because you can't get into the settings anymore if you have msinamed the clone) I finally wanted to delete most of the songs from the clone.

For this I filtered (excluded) 4 collections which should remain and tried to select all other songs in the song tab for deletion (> 60.000).

I selected one song so the selection tool showed up. But using the select all button didn't work. The number which shows the selected number changed from 1 to 64.000 (or so), but just 1 file was visually selected and when I tried deleting MSP only wants to delete the one file.

Is this a bug or are 60k files to much gor such operations?
Historically, 65537 (if I remember correctly) is the maximum that one can store in a 16 bit word so that could be an issue (and only half that if it is a signed 16 bit word).

I doubt that this is the problem here but you never know.

Suggest you use some other criteria to reduce the displayed items and try with a smaller size

Also, deleting a large number of files can take a very long time - most systems delete from the first selected file towards the last and this causes the directory information to be repeatedly rewritten (if they deleted in the reverse order then this minimises the flushing of the directory as it can just be truncated).
Bearing this in mind, it might be easier to select the files that you want to copy e.g. a collection and just export/import those. Keep doing this until all the required files are transferred.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Thanks Geoff. But I'm only deleting the song entries in the cloned database. Files need to stay for the original big database.
That sounds to me like a bug. I'll look into it. Should hopefully be an easy fix.

Thanks,
Mike