• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
App freezing since last week
I have a question concerning my app... since last weeks my app is freezing every time after a while in a rehearsal , very annoying...only a hard restart is a solution then.
Before everything has always be fine.
Is this a problem of the app or a problem of windows?
Normally windows should be fine.
Would there be a solution for that kind of problems?
Thx a lot!
gr,
Kristof

Windows Version v10.0.22621.1105
MobileSheets v3.6.9 from Windows Store
Device: Surface Pro 7+
I have not heard from any users experiencing issues with MobileSheets freezing, so at this point, I have to assume it's specific to your device. There could a hardware or software issue involved - it's really hard to say which. I responded to your email, but if you want me to test with your library and/or setlist, I can do that to see if I can reproduce any freezes on my Surface Pro 4.

Mike
Hi, I've just sent an email about a similar issue. First time using Mobile Sheets in a professional setting and it's been crashing once every hour or so.
Just a thought:

Windows quite often pre-downloads updates whist one is working so check that your update settings don't allow this during your rehearsal.
Restarting your device will kill any download that is in progress allowing the system to function again.
Luckily, once windows has updated itself, it may be a while before it needs to do so again (unless it is performing a sequence of updates)

Other programs may also do the same but they probably don't provide a way to disable their update.

Should the problem happen again, try temporarily disabling the internet during the rehearsal; this may not help but it is worth a try.

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
The only changes that have been made recently is I changed some of the code for the metronome, which also impacts audio playback. Are you utilizing the metronome and/or audio playback? If not, then I'm going to need more details on how to reproduce a crash, as I ran an automated test for 10 hours that loaded hundreds of songs and turned through pages and never saw a crash. jmmcoy, I know you are using a Surface Pro X, so it's very likely the issues are due to the ARM processor, as I mentioned in my email. You are experiencing crashes and not freezing though, so I think these two issues are completely independent of each other.

Thanks,
Mike
I have also experienced lockup today for the first time.
This has never happened to me before through many years of using Mobile sheets.
Mobile sheets worked flawlessly through rehearsal; start the performance, try to move to the first page change and no response.
I was not using the metronome, audio file or anything else.
This was most upsetting for me and the rest of the music group as the only way to fix it was to restart the computer. (And the performance)
I use the windows version on a surface book. Nothing else is running on the computer but mobile sheets.

To avoid this happening again at a critical time, is it possible to roll back the programme to a previous version which was working OK.
I can not trust the present version to work without locking up.
Look forward to your reply.
regards, Kevin
Kevin,

It's only possible to downgrade if you are using the FastSpring version of MobileSheets. You will also have to backup your library, uninstall the app, reinstall the old version and then restore your library, because Microsoft's installer framework will most likely not let you downgrade to a lower version. I do have changes for Windows that are going to be released based on some of the crash logs I've received, but that's very different from the device freezing, and I won't get crash reports when the entire OS freezes. I have heard from other users that had the keyboard attached that unplugging the keyboard made everything work again suddenly, which points to an issue in Windows in that specific scenario. I also don't have any way of reproducing the issue, as, like I described, I ran 10+ hours of testing with no issues. If you want to share your library with me, I can test it on my device, but I don't have a Surface Book to test on (only a Surface Pro 4), so I don't know if the behavior will be different between the devices. If you want to proceed with downgrading, I need to know which version you want to downgrade to.

Mike
For both of you - please do something for me. Bring up the metronome, tap the settings icon, and enable "Prevent audio delay when starting metronome". This keeps the audio engine in a state where it's idling but not shut down, and no resources will be freed. I know you said you aren't using the metronome or audio player, but the metronome still always loads an audio file because it has to be prepared for the user to play the metronome, even with a tempo of 10. Please let me know if that stops the issues you are seeing. If so, I may decide to default to having that setting on, and there will be slightly higher level of battery consumption (which matches the older version before I adjusted this).

Thanks,
Mike
(01-22-2023, 03:33 AM)Kristof Wrote: I have a question concerning my app... since last weeks my app is freezing every time after a while in a rehearsal , very annoying...only a hard restart is a solution then.
Before everything has always be fine.
Is this a problem of the app or a problem of windows?
Normally windows should be fine.
Would there be a solution for that kind of problems?
Thx a lot!
gr,
Kristof

Windows Version v10.0.22621.1105
MobileSheets v3.6.9 from Windows Store
Device: Surface Pro 7+

If you want more reliable device disable Windows OS updates now.
I would never perform/gig relying on Windows based device.
I never had a problem on Android past 4 years when I went fully paperless (including connecting 4 tablets together).
Also I don't use them for anything else.
(02-05-2023, 09:57 AM)kevin.olsen@xtra.co.nz Wrote: I have also experienced lockup today for the first time.
This has never happened to me before through many years of using Mobile sheets.
Mobile sheets worked flawlessly through rehearsal; start the performance, try to move to the first page change and no response.
I was not using the metronome, audio file or anything else.
This was most upsetting for me and the rest of the music group as the only way to fix it was to restart the computer. (And the performance)
I use the windows version on a surface book. Nothing else is running on the computer but mobile sheets.

To avoid this happening again at a critical time, is it possible to roll back the programme to a previous version which was working OK.
I can not trust the present version to work without locking up.
Look forward to your reply.
regards, Kevin

Did you have wi-fi on? Even if no other application is opened there are MANY (unnecessary) services running in the background in Windows OS.
You should disable most of them if you want more reliable device and do not connect it to the internet.
Windows is not the best choice.
Hi Zubersoft,

Thank you for your reply and possible reason for the lockup.
I have changed the metronome setting. I am not concerned about battery life.
There was one other thing I forgot to mention. All rehearsals at home and before performance were using Overlay enabled.
Then I changed to performance mode. Not sure if this could be a factor in the lockup with the new update.
I have used my windows Surface Book with Mobile sheets since 2016 with no problems.
I am well aware about not allowing updates and to have a WiFi connection, these were not the problem as has been suggested by others comments.
I will not worry about rolling back to a previous version of Mobile Sheets unless it is absolutely necessary.
I will see how it goes with the metronome setting change and leaving overlay mode on.
Will update you over the next week or so if I have any further problems.
Thanks again.
regards, Kevin