• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fed up with MobileSheets on Surface - Is Android better?
I've been using MobileSheets for a couple of years on a Surface Go 2, and while it's been adequate, there are some quirks that are finally driving me to seek other options. The problems are (I think) not with MobileSheets, but with Windows or this particular tablet.

I chose the Surface Go (rather than Pro) because I use it for choral singing, and want something lighter to hold, so maybe some of these issues relate to the smaller Surface model.

The issues are:
- The battery life is usually ok, but maybe every month or two, it will suddenly just run down in a couple of hours. I don't know what causes it (Window's battery usage plot doesn't seem to show anything), but I don't want that happening in the middle of a rehearsal or concert.
- Some Windows gestures seem to get in the way of the MobileSheets interface. If my finger is too close to the edge when I swipe right or left, Windows will throw up the Calendar or a screen full of widgets. Tapping the top of the screen while editing sometimes brings up the Windows title bar, with covers the MobileSheets button bar. 
- It seems like the touch screen goes into a power save mode or something, because if I don't touch the screen for one minute, the next tap might not be registered. So every page turn (which is often about a minute) is a gamble of whether I'll have to tap once or twice. 
- The pen mostly works ok for annotations, but maybe every 5 seconds it just stops moving for a fraction of a second and whatever I was writing get's messed up.

Is Android any better?
In general, yes, the Android version is better. You will not encounter any of the issues you mentioned with the Android version. Having said that, I think some of the problems are most likely due to it being a Surface Go versus a Surface Pro, as they have significantly different hardware. I'm also going to be trying to change the framework that is used for the Windows version of MobileSheets later this year. This could resolve many of the issues as it will be able to function like a normal desktop app instead of a UWP app.

Mike
So I finally went out and bought a Galaxy Tab S8+. Overall, it's a much better experience:
  • It's a lot faster to start and load sheets.
  • The pen is much more responsive (the Surface was usable but slightly laggy).
  • The annotation tools are a lot faster. On the Surface, there were significant pauses any time you switched, which really slowed down annotating.
  • I haven't noticed any missed page turns.

I've found a few odd behaviours with the S-Pen, but I'll report those as bugs in the appropriate thread. Besides that, the Tab is definitely a better devices than the Surface Go 2.