• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep display on....but only kind of?
I'm seeking some ideas for a fairly minor issue using MSP on my Android tablet.

Sometimes I stay on a page for 5-10 minutes at a time (e.g., working on a particular passage), and so I really appreciate the "keep screen on" setting.

But I will sometimes walk away without remembering to turning the display off, and come back hours or a day later and see it's still on :O Total user error, but still.

Is there a way to specify a unique screen timeout while displaying sheets? I'd prefer to not change the system settings to ALWAYS have a timeout of 10min no matter what, if possible.

I also have a Home Assistant integration that will turn on my tablet screen and start up MSP whenever I approach my piano, but AFAIK there isn't a way to turn the screen off, or programmatically exit the sheet display view (so always-on display turns off), again when I step away from the piano.  Is there an intent that can be exposed to show the Library screen, or send MSP to the background?
The tricky part about having a timeout is I then have to constantly monitor all input to the application to reset the timer every time the user does anything, which could include taps, using a pedal, sending a MIDI command that triggers functionality, etc. It's not necessarily difficult to do this - just a little tedious. However, if it's important to users, I can certainly add the necessary changes along with a new setting on the settings screen for it. I'd need to see some amount of push from users for this though, otherwise just using the OS screen timeout setting is sufficient. If you have the OS screen timeout set to 15 minutes, for example, it should only timeout if you aren't interacting with the tablet, so it's already accomplishing what you want.

MobileSheets can't programmatically turn the screen off, but I could expose an intent to disable the option to keep the screen on. Do you have a way of triggering specific intents for installed applications?

Mike
I can broadcast an intent from Home Assistant to Mobilesheets, it sounds like that would do the trick if MSP can ingest it? Doing it this way, I'm thinking for my specific purpose it would be better if the intent simply triggers "return to library screen" which would doesn't respect "keep screen on."

I'm assuming an intent to disable screen-always-on would mean that next time I would have to re-enable that setting manually, which makes it more of a pain for everyone.
With version 3.7.4, I will support two new intents:

package name: com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro
action: com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro.ACTION
extra int: action <pedal action to trigger as a number>

action: com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro.RETURN_TO_LIBRARY

With the first one, I can provide a list of all of the pedal actions at some point if anyone needs it. I just want to add it in case anyone would like to take advantage of being able to trigger pedal actions through an assistant like that.

Mike
Quote:With version 3.7.4, I will support two new intents:

action: com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro.ACTION
extra int: action <pedal action to trigger as a number>

action: com.zubersoft.mobilesheets.RETURN_TO_LIBRARY
Wow! Thank you, I'll be on the lookout for the next update and will be eager to test it out!
Thanks again for implementing the intent in 3.7.4. I confirmed it works, and have 2 bits of feedback:

1. When returning to library directly from viewing sheets, "keep screen on" is not reset, so the library will keep the screen active even if you have "keep screen on While Viewing Scores" in Settings. 

I think the preferred behavior is to honor the screen-on selection in Other Settings when returning to library via the intent? I hope this can be fixed!

2. Just in case others are seeking to use this, the name of  the intent action I had to use is:

com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro.RETURN_TO_LIBRARY

(not 
com.zubersoft.mobilesheets.RETURN_TO_LIBRARY)

Thanks again!
I'll take a look at that, although the "return to library" action should function in the exact same way when triggered by the intent as when triggered by any other means.

I did list the intent as com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro.RETURN_TO_LIBRARY in my previous messages in this thread, so I hope you saw that before testing. The package name for the app is still com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro, and that's not something I can ever change.

Mike
(03-18-2023, 04:28 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I did list the intent as com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro.RETURN_TO_LIBRARY in my previous messages in this thread, so I hope you saw that before testing. 

Oh strange, on my end it looks like the intent action described in this thread is written without the "pro" (which I tried but of course it didn't work, I wasn't sure if there was a legacy package it was calling from the "Mobile Sheets Free" that I originally had installed years back).

I'm sure anyone deep enough to be messing with Android intents will immediately know how to resolve the syntax, but I justed to be explicit because there may be folks like me who are more at a copy-paste level than truly tech savvy Smile 

Thanks again for looking into this.
I had modified the posts at one point - if you hit Ctrl + F5 to refresh the page (or just F5 if your browser doesn't support that), does it then show up correctly?

Mike
(03-18-2023, 05:44 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I had modified the posts at one point - if you hit Ctrl + F5 to refresh the page (or just F5 if your browser doesn't support that), does it then show up correctly?

Mike

Oh strange, yes it still shows up without the pro if it refresh:

[Image: 4hsVrCq.jpg]

In the meantime, I tested the return-to-library intent on two other Android devices and can confirm the incorrect behavior exists on a Samsung Galaxy as well as a Pixel 6 Pro: if I programmatically return to library using the intent, it retains the "keep screen on while viewing sheets" setting. If I use the back button or gesture to return to library, the library correctly re-adopts the system display timeout.
Apologies, I overlooked that part of the bottom value that I had written. I've fixed it now (just in case anyone else references this thread). I'll look into the issue tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mike
3.7.5 fixes the new RETURN_TO_LIBRARY intent, it now respects the system screen-off timeout correctly. Thanks!
You are very welcome - thanks for identifying the issue.

Mike
For some time now I have the problem that the screen will turn off after some arbitrary time: I have set Mobilesheet Pro to keep the screen on while viewing a song. Still it keeps switching the screen off after some minutes (at least it is letting the system do so).

My system wide screen timeout is 30 Sec. - so I cannot say why this is happening to me. I think it may be related to one of the recent updates because earlier I have never expected this behaviour... While rehearsing a song and therefor staying on one side of a song for a longer period of time this can happen quite often and is not helpful. Is there something on my end I could do?

(Galaxy Tab S3)
The code for keeping the screen on has not changed for a long time. You can try going to Settings->Display Settings and enable "Hide the navigation bar" which will enable immersive mode on older devices. That may keep the screen on even if the current method doesn't work on your device. 

One thing I should mention is there is a 1-hour time limit where, if the screen has been kept on and there has been no interaction of any kind with the device for over an hour, the screen will be allowed to turn off. This is to prevent the battery from being completely drained if the user happened to leave their device on accidentally.

Mike