• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'|' as separator for value lists
I work a lot with CSV import. Sometimes it makes sense to import a PDF via CSV import, edit and refine field values in MSP and export as CSV file again.
I described a workaround to use Generate Song List for CSV export long ago:
https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...-5213.html

When doing that, one important feature is missing: when a field contains multiple values, which is often the case for composers or source types, a value list is exported where multiple values always are separated by a comma followed by a blank. For CSV import values in a value list have to be separated by |.
Search and replace in the exported file needs a lot of attention as e.g. for composers comma is frequently used as part of a single composer entry.

It would be great if I could choose between ', ' and '|' as value list separator when configuring a song list format.

Or, even better, if there existed a specific Song List Format for CSV export. This should use
| as separator for fields with multiple values, allow choosing tab or semicolon as field separator and include the column headers in the file.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I'll add that to the list. As far as tab versus semicolon for separating fields - that should be something you can already control yourself with the generate song list format I believe. Are you saying you'd want an option to override the current logic and forcefully use a different separator than what is specified in the format string? 

Thanks,
Mike
No, I cannot control that.
The song title format allows specifying the separator between fields, but not the separator between list entries.

e.g. a song with several composers:
The CSV file
Title;AlternativTitel;PDFPage;Pages;SourceTypes;Keys;Years;Composers;Tempos;Signatures;Albums
Achin' Hearted Blues;;331;331-332;LS|2 S.|Tx;Eb;;Clarence Williams|Clarence Johnson|Spencer Williams;;4/4;CJB Fakebook 2023
also works with tabs between the fields and creates three composer entries in the MobileSheets database as expected.

Exporting with this setlist format

%TITLE%;%CUSTOM_GROUPS%;%KEYS%;%PAGE_ORDER%;%FILE_NAMES%;%SOURCE_TYPES%;%FILE_PATHS%;%COMPOSERS%;%GENRES%;%YEARS%;%SIGNATURES%;%TEMPOS%

creates this

CJB Fakebook 2023 Sample

Achin' Hearted Blues;;Eb;331-332;_CJB_Fakebook_2023_C.pdf;2 S., LS, Tx;D:\HerbertsGoogleDrive\_MobileSheets\Fkbk0\CJB_Fakebook_2023\_CJB_Fakebook_2023_C.pdf;Clarence Johnson, Clarence Williams, Spencer Williams;;;4/4;

Simply copying the setlist format into the file should create a valid CSV file for import. But re-importing that creates one composer entry, not three.
The commas between the composers for the export as well as the | for CSV import seem to be hardcoded. Using search&replace or a script to replace comma with | is not possible because composers often are specified as
Williams, Clarence|Johnson, Clarence|Williams, Spencer;
to get them sorted by lastname.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de