• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 3.7.5 crashes on startup on a Galaxy Note 12.2
I just upgraded MobileSheets to 3.7.5 on my Galaxy Note 12.2 (Android 5.0.2, which is the most recent version available), and now for the first time ever it crashes on startup (every time; this is consistent and repeatable).

The same version works perfectly on my Galaxy Note 9 (Android 10, also the most recent version available).

Clearing the cache doesn't help, nor does uninstalling and reinstalling.

- Steven
I was notified about the issue about 30 minutes ago and submitted an update to Google immediately. The crash occurs on devices running Android versions below 6.0. If anyone needs an immediate fix, send me an email at mike@zubersoft.com and I can send you a link to the installer to update outside the Google Play Store. Otherwise the update should be available within the next few hours and should install automatically on most devices.

Mike
(03-22-2023, 03:46 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I was notified about the issue about 30 minutes ago and submitted an update to Google immediately.

Thank you!  I need it by tomorrow afternoon, but not before then, so I can wait for it to become available through the usual channels.

- Steven
...and the update is already available, and I just finished installing it. I'm pleased to report that it works perfectly. I had to restore my library after deleting and reinstalling the broken one, but fortunately I had a fully up-to-date backup (this is not a coincidence :-)).
Thanks for reporting back - sorry about any time you wasted due to the issue.

Mike
(03-22-2023, 04:08 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: Thanks for reporting back - sorry about any time you wasted due to the issue.

Mike

Thanks to your quick action, what would have been a major showstopper turned into a minor nuisance. Thank *you* for taking care of it so quickly!

Incidentally, is this a sign that you may need to drop support for Android 5 in the near-to-medium term? I'd hate to have to replace a tablet which is otherwise doing exactly what I need it to, but if it becomes necessary...  Well, let's just say I bought this tablet in the first place (only) to run MobileSheets in the first place.
No, it's not a sign of that. I just have to be very careful about what functionality I access in Google's SDK. I accessed a function that seemed harmless and didn't double check the documentation for it, and didn't realize that it only supported Android 6.0 and higher. Google has some tools that can help with this, so I just need to make sure to run their analysis tools before releasing a build to see if it points out any potential issues with functions being accessed that aren't supported on older OS versions. The Android OS fragmentation can be difficult to handle sometimes.

Mike