• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sync keeps finding new things to sync
Hi folks!

Held off on reporting this for a while since it's a bit hard to characterize and it appears to be mostly an inefficiency. 

Basically, sync finds a ton more things to sync than have changed. There are countless "File successfully received and written..." log entries during a sync regarding files I haven't touched in weeks on either device. It's like it's finding differences that aren't there.

But I saw the recent fix about floating point differences, and I was thinking that's exactly the kind of thing that could cause this problem. But I tried sync again after updating both sides to 3.7.6 and it still happened. 

So I decided to dig deeper and try to prove it to myself. So I ran a two-way sync to successful completion. Then I figured if I run ANOTHER sync right now, without changing anything, it should do a quick comparison and find no changes and not copy anything (except perhaps the db to do the comparison). 

So when I tried the subsequent run, the first time the server (on macOS) reported a connection failure part way through. The next time the server crashed MS. But the third time, sure enough, it found a whole bunch more file to copy. 

I wasn't sure if the last sync might have been finding changes left over from one of the two previous failed syncs, so I ran sync again. But the server crashed again. So I ran it again and succeeded. And I ran it once more, and it succeeded. I wasn't sure if something would prevent two successes in a row, but the last pair worked.

So anyway, somehow MS is finding differences that are not based on any changes I'm making. And I only point out the crashes in case they are contributing to this issue, or at least complicating the troubleshooting.

Thanks! Let me know how I can help!
Are you synchronizing devices directly together? Or are you synchronizing to a cloud folder? When I have time, I can test both out, but it would help for now to know what you are testing with. It would also help to have a latest version of a backup from your device, as well as either a backup from another device (if synchronizingthe two devices directly), or access to the folder you are synchronizing to. I recognize that this is tedious though, so if you want to wait, at some point I'll find time to set up my own tests with test libraries to see if I can reproduce what you are seeing with my own files. If I can't, then I would need to come back to you for more information.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks for the reply!

Earlier on I used to sync both sides to a common folder. I felt like it was safer to not have them talk directly together, and the cloud folder could act like a backup. 

But for various reasons I ditched that for now and everything discussed here is peer to peer sync. 

Tonight I should be able to make a backup of both devices and send you Dropbox links to them.
Noting that 3.7.7 appears to have fixed this! A side effect is that sync is much faster, especially on the Client side of a two-way sync. THANKS!!
You are very welcome. Thanks for letting me know the fix worked for you.

Mike