• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloud Sync - Songs with an apostrophe (') in title - no folder created in cloud
Mike,

In further testing of the Windows app, I have discovered that songs with an apostrophe character in the title do not get a folder created upon synchronization into OneDrive.

For example, song name is: 
  • I'm Feelin' Fine

Within the designated storage location on the Windows local computer managing the library, a folder is created with the apostrophe character (') replaced with a space:
  • Folder name in Windows created by app: I m Feelin  Fine

When the library is synced to OneDrive, there is no folder created and all song files (pdf and mp3s) are stored in the root of the OneDrive folder. As I have a number of songs that have an apostrophe in the name, this has caused dozens of files to be placed in the root of the folder in a disorganized fashion. 

I've tried to create the song without an apostrophe, sync to the cloud (works fine - sub folder created for song in cloud and all files are placed in folder) then change the song title to include an apostrophe and re-sync - this causes all song files to be placed in the root. It appears that the folder name is directly tied to the song title (good thing) and while the apostrophe character is escaped on the Windows file system (expected) this does not translate into the same folder naming methodology being used for song cloud folder names (unexpected).

This is an issue as the source folder structure and cloud folder structure are not the same. Also, if I want to use other applications to play song files on a client device that has been synchronized with the OneDrive cloud source, it is difficult to navigate as many songs are in the root of the folder.

I'm sure you already know that OneDrive does not allow the following characters for folder names (note that an apostrophe is allowed): " * : < > ? / \ |

I also have songs with a question mark (?) character in the name - same thing happens as in the apostrophe scenario.

I have not tested other client types (i.e. Android or iPad) or cloud sources (Dropbox or Google Drive) yet so I am unable to provide comment on these app versions and cloud sources. With that said, I do know from experience that the other cloud sources have similar special character limitations.

As you escape/replace special characters with a space for folder names on the Windows file system (expected), would it be possible to use the same methodology for folder names in cloud sync sources to keep the folder structures the same? 

Thanks for your time and attention regarding this issue report.
I'll look into this and if I can reproduce the issue, I'll get a fix in place.

Thanks,
Mike
I have a fix in place for this issue. Some of the logic was incorrect in that it assumed the song title would appear in the file path as is (instead of with the corrections to remove symbols). I have fixed that code so it will first check with the corrected song title, then check with the title as-is so that it can handle either scenario.

Thanks,
Mike