• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simple Question Regarding the Companion
So far I have always loaded new songs into my tablet by transferring pdf's from my PC to a folder on the tablet and the importing them (either by batch import or one songs at a time) into MS. Its has been working fine.

But, my understanding Is I could use the Companion to do this. I would just import the song into the PC Companion (either batch import or individually).

And them, whenever I connect the Companion to the Tablet (via WiFi) it will automatically add the song into MS.

I guess that raises the issue about getting the songs into collections. But for now, I can just move the songs into a collection (or a setlist) on the tablet itself.

I just want confirmation that this is correct.

Thanks,

Jeff
(12-24-2013, 12:02 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: So far I have always loaded new songs into my tablet by transferring pdf's from my PC to a folder on the tablet and the importing them (either by batch import or one songs at a time) into MS. Its has been working fine.

But, my understanding Is I could use the Companion to do this. I would just import the song into the PC Companion (either batch import or individually).

And them, whenever I connect the Companion to the Tablet (via WiFi) it will automatically add the song into MS.

I guess that raises the issue about getting the songs into collections. But for now, I can just move the songs into a collection (or a setlist) on the tablet itself.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you haven't used the companion yet. When you run it, it establishes a real-time connection to your tablet, either via wifi or via USB, if you have configured that. (But USB is a bit more complicated, so let's stick to wifi). Once the companion is connected to your tablet (which must be running MobileSheets during the connection), it allows you to do most actions that you would do on your tablet, including editing and creating songs, setlists and collections. Everything you do is "real time", and changes are synced to the tablet at each operation. I would suggest reading the online manual for a more detailed description of the operation of the companion.

There are a few things you currently cannot do via the companion: specifically, annotations, link points and shortcuts can't be added or changed. I'm told that the author is considering adding some of this functionality at some point in the future.

I would add one caveat/suggestion with the companion: if you are planning on making significant edits/additions, it would be a good idea to create a Mobilesheets backup before doing so. On one or two occasions (albeit a very long time ago) I experienced a loss of communications during one of the syncs, and I needed to do a restore to get things right again. However, there have been numerous improvements to the app and companion since then, so my problem may have been related to a bug that has long since been exterminated. But still, better safe than sorry!

Good luck and have fun!

- Mike
Basically, Snard has covered all your queries.

I have only one thing to add - if you haven't tried the companion yet, you really should. It makes managing your files, etc., a whole lot easier.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
hi guys, this question is on this forum somewhere i guess, but i'm just trying to get my head around all this, i know how to import from my comp the pdf files using the companion, how do i import a song which has more than one sheet, so that i can scroll across the screen in performance, i have looked through the tutorial cant sort it, i'm only a piano player what do you expect, anyway any help would be appreciated, i have a shed load of music i want to import, cheers, in the meant time happy xmas

just to add, what i'm doing is scanning each sheet and saving it in a file on my desktop, so i have 6 pdf files, i have renamed the pdf's to the title off the song, the i drag them into the companion, but of course they are all seperate files, so i'm doing something wrong
(12-25-2013, 02:27 AM)art Wrote: hi guys, this question is on this forum somewhere i guess, but i'm just trying to get my head around all this, i know how to import from my comp the pdf files using the companion, how do i import a song which has more than one sheet, so that i can scroll across the screen in performance, i have looked through the tutorial cant sort it, i'm only a piano player what do you expect, anyway any help would be appreciated, i have a shed load of music i want to import, cheers, in the meant time happy xmas

just to add, what i'm doing is scanning each sheet and saving it in a file on my desktop, so i have 6 pdf files, i have renamed the pdf's to the title off the song, the i drag them into the companion, but of course they are all seperate files, so i'm doing something wrong

If a song has more than one page, it should be scanned and imported as a single song with multiple pages (in other words, a single pdf with mutiple pages).
So, you can't import a song at a time into the Companion. You can only do it as a batch?
(12-24-2013, 08:57 PM)Snard Wrote:
(12-24-2013, 12:02 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: So far I have always loaded new songs into my tablet by transferring pdf's from my PC to a folder on the tablet and the importing them (either by batch import or one songs at a time) into MS. Its has been working fine.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you haven't used the companion yet. When you run it, it establishes a real-time connection to your tablet, either via wifi or via USB, if you have configured that. (But USB is a bit more complicated, so let's stick to wifi). Once the companion is connected to your tablet (which must be running MobileSheets during the connection), it allows you to do most actions that you would do on your tablet, including editing and creating songs, setlists and collections. Everything you do is "real time", and changes are synced to the tablet at each operation. I would suggest reading the online manual for a more detailed description of the operation of the companion.

There are a few things you currently cannot do via the companion: specifically, annotations, link points and shortcuts can't be added or changed. I'm told that the author is considering adding some of this functionality at some point in the future.

I would add one caveat/suggestion with the companion: if you are planning on making significant edits/additions, it would be a good idea to create a Mobilesheets backup before doing so. On one or two occasions (albeit a very long time ago) I experienced a loss of communications during one of the syncs, and I needed to do a restore to get things right again. However, there have been numerous improvements to the app and companion since then, so my problem may have been related to a bug that has long since been exterminated. But still, better safe than sorry!

Good luck and have fun!

- Mike

Thank you.
You can import a song at a time. The real distinction is that you have two options - import one PDF at a time or use a batch import to import multiple PDFs. In the current version of MobileSheets, only one PDF is allowed per song (multiple image files are allowed though). To import a single file/song, just drag & drop the file into the main MobileSheetsCompanion window.

Mike
(12-25-2013, 03:42 PM)Zuberman Wrote: You can import a song at a time. The real distinction is that you have two options - import one PDF at a time or use a batch import to import multiple PDFs. In the current version of MobileSheets, only one PDF is allowed per song (multiple image files are allowed though). To import a single file/song, just drag & drop the file into the main MobileSheetsCompanion window.

Mike

Ahh, ok. Thanks.