• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
adding flat symbol quickly
I usually just use regular printed letters to type on changes in a song.

I usually just write in the letter of the note, rather than using notation.

If I need a sharp, that is easy.  I can just use the # sign.

But I don't have a quick way of adding a flat symbol while I am inputting text (I'd rather not back out and us a stamp, if I can avoid it).

Any thoughts?

[I use Hackers Keyboard]

Thanks,

Jeff
lower case b
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western
(11-27-2023, 05:25 AM)Frank Cox Wrote: lower case b

Thank you for responding, Frank.

Yes, I know this. I would like to write chords in UPPER CASE and individual notes in lower case.

So, a lower case "b" does not work well if I am using lower case for individual notes.

Any other ideas?

(In Microsoft Word I can pretty easily access a flat symbol).

Jeff
A flat symbol isn't part of the default font set on Android devices so you're outta luck for a "real one".   A lower case b is about as good as it gets, really. You could just arbitrarily select another character and call that a flat symbol but that might be confusing.

Colours might be an option to consider.  Chords in red and notes in blue or something.  It's still not what you want though.
If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country AND Western
Will this help?
https://bretpimentel.com/sharp-flat-and-...s-devices/
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Thanks, Skip.  I read that one.  I will dig into it. Maybe one of those options will work.

Jeff
Or use an "h" instead of a "b."
I fully understand the request. Jeffn1 wants to do things like that:

and he's talking about using proper Unicode sharps & flats.
I created examples using copy/paste from the Win10 character map and must say: it's not a big deal with sharps, but lower case b instead of a proper flat symbol looks really ugly, even more when lower case letters are used to write single notes, which is pretty common, I also do it like that every now and then

@Frank Cox: sorry, I have to contradict, MobileSheets renders it nicely, both on Win10

and on Android

So I can propose a workaround: copy/paste the proper characters from the Windows character map, from my attached file sharps_flats.pro, from a UTF8 .txt file that you prepare for yourself or from somewhere else and MobileSheets will render it just fine.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

And there's even more to consider:

Lower case characters in brackets [a] [bb] [c#] should be transposed correctly like chords [A] [Bb] [C#]

And the ChordPro reference implementation can be configured to render chords like e.g. [Bb] [C#] with proper Unicode sharps and flats.
Attached sharps_flats_pro.pdf is the PDF output of sharps_flats.pro

Attached Files
.pro   sharps_flats.pro (Size: 1.93 KB / Downloads: 1)
.pdf   sharps_flats_pro.pdf (Size: 166.42 KB / Downloads: 2)
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

@Skip: thanks for the link, it shows great alternatives to my copy/paste proposal above
@ jlgtx: "h" instead of a "b" is a topic of its own. You might want to search the forum for keywords "transcode" or "Scandinavian"

(12-02-2023, 08:27 AM)itsme Wrote: I fully understand the request. Jeffn1 wants to do things like that:

and he's talking about using proper Unicode sharps & flats.
I created examples using copy/paste from the Win10 character map and must say: it's not a big deal with sharps, but lower case b instead of a proper flat symbol looks really ugly, even more when lower case letters are used to write single notes, which is pretty common, I also do it like that every now and then

@Frank Cox: sorry, I have to contradict, MobileSheets renders it nicely, both on Win10

and on Android

So I can propose a workaround: copy/paste the proper characters from the Windows character map, from my attached file sharps_flats.pro, from a UTF8 .txt file that you prepare for yourself or from somewhere else and MobileSheets will render it just fine.

Thanks! I may need to figure out a few things (like where files go when I download something into my tablet, hah!), but I will work on it.
(12-02-2023, 08:44 AM)itsme Wrote: @ jlgtx: "h" instead of a "b" is a topic of its own. You might want to search the forum for keywords "transcode" or "Scandinavian"

Yeah, I thought about that after the fact, and looked it up. I didn't realize that the "h" is swapped for the B but the Bb is still used. Makes my brain itch.
@ jeffn1: in your first post you mentioned "Hacker's Keyboard", I also use this on my Android devices.
I managed to add the sharp and flat symbol to the "Suggested Punctuation" bar of Hacker's Keyboard: I copied sharps_flats.pro to my tablet, renamed it to sharps_flats.txt and opened it in a texteditor. When I start editing, Hacker's Keyboard shows up. I copied the flat symbol to the clipboard, opened Hacker's Keyboard - Settings - Suggested Punctuation and pasted the flat symbol to the list. Same with the sharp - voila, you can insert the symbols from here.

What I did not understand by now: this "Suggested Punctuation" bar is not always shown. It pops up in certain situations while editing a text file. Do you know which action triggers the "Suggested Punctuation" to show up?

Just in case (it was missing in sharps_flats.pro)
natural: Unicode Character 'MUSIC NATURAL SIGN' (U+266E) 0x266e
I noticed that the natural sign is missing in several fonts that contain both flat and sharp - pretty strange

I posted in another thread about this, but when I tried to replace # and b with the unicode equivalents, the spacing between characters got really messed up. With the Android default font (Roboto) it created a gap between the chords and the sharp/flat characters that was unacceptable. Based on the screenshots above, it sure looks to me like the chord pro specification is using an entirely different font in each case - not just substituting the ascii characters with the unicode equivalents. For users that want the accidentals rendered in a nicer way, I need to add support for more fonts (including custom fonts).

Mike
(12-02-2023, 10:03 AM)itsme Wrote: @ jeffn1: in your first post you mentioned "Hacker's Keyboard", I also use this on my Android devices.
I managed to add the sharp and flat symbol to the "Suggested Punctuation" bar of Hacker's Keyboard: I copied sharps_flats.pro to my tablet, renamed it to sharps_flats.txt and opened it in a texteditor. When I start editing, Hacker's Keyboard shows up. I copied the flat symbol to the clipboard, opened Hacker's Keyboard - Settings - Suggested Punctuation and pasted the flat symbol to the list. Same with the sharp - voila, you can insert the symbols from here.

What I did not understand by now: this "Suggested Punctuation" bar is not always shown. It pops up in certain situations while editing a text file. Do you know which action triggers the "Suggested Punctuation" to show up?

Just in case (it was missing in sharps_flats.pro)
natural: Unicode Character 'MUSIC NATURAL SIGN' (U+266E) 0x266e
I noticed that the natural sign is missing in several fonts that contain both flat and sharp - pretty strange

Thanks, Mike and everyone with all the great responses.

Yes, I suppose this is something that people would use a lot. (Yep, if there were a convenient way within MS to add a flat symbol (sharp is less necessary) to a letter that would be very useful.

I will explore these options.  Thx!

[Oh, yes, natural symbol would be nice too]