• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syncing to a device failing
I'm running MobileSheets 3.8.43 on three Android tablets that have all been working fine. Two of the tablets are running Android 13, the third is on Android 9. 

My database has nearly 9000 songs in it and the PDFs and audio files take about 10GB. The two on 13 are both set to let MS manage the storage as they have plenty of internal storage. The Android 9 device is user-managed to put all the files on a uSD card as it has insufficient internal storage. The Android 9 was my original. I backed it up with the companion and restored to one of the Android 13 devices without problem. The other Android 13 device was loaded using device syncing with the first Android 13 device. 

Since then, I've modified files on both Android 13 devices and used 2-way device sync to get them both to the same level. However, I'm unable to use device sync to bring the Android 9 device up to date. I've tried syncing with both Android 13 devices, with the Android 9 as both client and server but the sync shows that the Android 13 device has sent its database file to the Android 9 device (which stores it with a temporary filename) and the process then hangs when the Android 9 device tries to send its database file (this is the last message shown).

Backup and restore from Companion work fine with the Android 9 device.

Apart from the version of Android being different, the only other significant difference I can think of is MS vs user-managed storage. 

Any clues as to why the sync doesn't complete are welcome.

Thanks, Steve.
______
SteveR
Without knowing more, it sounds almost like the Android 9 is processing the hashes for all of the files in the entire library. This can take an exceptionally long time if the device has slow I/O (which can happen with an SD card) if you have a 10 GB library. You may just need to wait a very long time for it to proceed, but this would be a one-time thing. If you backup one of the other devices that can sync properly and restore that on the Android 9 device, then the sync should go at the normal speed, as the hashes would be saved in the database.

Mike
Very strange.

First, however, I must correct an error. The Android 9 song storage is not user-managed - it is MS-managed but the files go to the SD card. This is because I changed things some time ago based on a previous issue I was having but had forgotten that fact.

I tried to backup what I regard as the master tablet (Android 13) with Companion, but this failed each time I tried, with a suggestion that there was a problem on the tablet (even though it sync'ed OK with the other Android 13 tablet). I therefore restored a slightly older backup to the master tablet. Then I cleared the library on the Android 9 machine and sync'ed the master to it.

Now everything is working as expected. It seems that the master tablet had some type of internal problem that only affected syncing with the Android 9 tablet.

Thanks for the support.
______
SteveR
Glad to hear you were able to get it all resolved.

Mike