• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 5.0.0 More Previews
I just wanted to let everyone know that I posted some additional videos of the new features in version 5.0.0. There are four videos because the screen capture software Google provides cuts off videos at 3 minutes. Once I'm ready to start making tutorial videos, I will use a better setup. The video links are posted below:

Preview #1
Preview #2
Preview #3
Preview #4

In these four videos, you will find demonstrations of the new song editor, including the ability to add any number of files to a song, automatic cropping, tons of new fields, the audio tab, and the MIDI tab. I forgot to demonstrate the new cropping screen that lets you drag the corners manually. I also showed off the new group editor screen, which lets you set up things like the setlists, collections, artists, albums, etc. As part of this, I showed off the new drag & drop features when working with setlists, which should make it much easier to drop songs in the middle of an existing setlist.

After the editors, I showed off the new display modes, including the single page, two page, half page in portrait, and vertical scrolling modes. I also showed off the ability to scale pages to fill the screen if desired. The two page display mode also has multiple options for page turns, including a single page turn, two pages at a time, or alternating pages.

Lastly, I showed a few new screens, such as the reformatted batch import screen, some of the new settings including the song format screen, and the pedal actions screen.

This was once again a quick and dirty preview, but I wanted to show people where things are at. I still have a number of features that have to be fully tested, including the new sharing features and the many available options with text files, but I'm doing my best to try to get things finished as fast as I can. I want this release to be rock solid, but it's amazing how much time it takes to get even minor features completely bug free.

Thanks everyone for your continued support and patience,
Mike
Certainly some major re-working there, Mike. It's difficult to judge from these clips - everything seems to happen so fast, I don't have time to read all the screen information. I guess I'll have to put some time aside and step through each one.

The final proof will be when it's released. My only concern there is I wouldn't want to jump to V5 without the safety net of being able to go back the version that I know works for me Smile .
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I made the videos sometime after 1AM, and I was getting very tired, so I kind of rushed through getting it done. Hopefully if you pause the video on the various screens, you can see what's available. I think setting up a camera to record is going to be important so that people and see what I'm tapping on with my finger... That or I should have at least turned on the "Show Touches" option in the Android developer settings so people could clearly see what I'm tapping.

I know it's concerning to have to jump between the versions, but unless everyone wants to have to purchase the application again as MobileSheets2 or something like that, there is no way around jumping in head first. I'm hoping we can iron out any of the problems in the beta, as quite a few people have signed up to help test.

Mike
Personally, I would be more than happy to pay for the new version and I suspect so would many other users.

Let's face it, this is a whole order improvement over the existing version - it's not just a minor upgrade and I think you should make a charge for it. All other considerations aside (including the fact that you would actually get rewarded for all the work you have put into this new version) the ability to drop back to a known working version would, in itself, be worth the money.

The very fact that this is so different means there is always the possibility of some glitch showing up, no matter how much testing has been done. Many of your users are relying on MS for their work. Not being able to revert to a previous release puts the end-user in a very difficult place, should the worst happen.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Thumbs Up 
Wow! so many great, amazing, fantastic features! Thanks for sharing these previews. Can't wait to get the new version!!

Your job is outstanding and I cannot never say enough thanks for making MobileSheets such a great music reader app which makes my music activities much easier and better!
Thank you maestralien!

Graeme, I'm not sure what I should do. I've told many people they could upgrade for free, and a lot of users purchased the current version under the assumption that that would be possible. While I would love to be rewarded for the amount of work that went into this update, angering my current user base is the last thing I want to do. I completely understand your point of view though - a potentially risky upgrade for professionals using the app is definitely an issue.

While I would still love to hear everyone's opinion on this, I think the plan still has to be to rely on the beta to ensure that the new version is 100% stable before I release it. If everyone bangs on the new version for 2-3 weeks, and there are no glaring issues, I think I will be confident enough to release the update for everyone.

Mike
Another interesting idea that I want to get people's take on is offering MobileSheets under a subscription model. I could just do something like $1 a month which would help support continued MobileSheets development and give me an avenue to release the new update as a separate product. I could take this further to offer different tiers as well. I could offer a cheaper subscription plan for people who only want the most basic features, and more expensive subscription plans for users who want all of the advanced features.

Mike
I don't like it. I'd rather pay more upfront.

If you came out with a new version over couple of years, I would pay for the upgrade.

But, I really don't like subscription model.

(09-16-2014, 09:53 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Another interesting idea that I want to get people's take on is offering MobileSheets under a subscription model. I could just do something like $1 a month which would help support continued MobileSheets development and give me an avenue to release the new update as a separate product. I could take this further to offer different tiers as well. I could offer a cheaper subscription plan for people who only want the most basic features, and more expensive subscription plans for users who want all of the advanced features.

Mike
Although the subscription model does offer some advantages, on balance, I think I'm with jeffn1 and would prefer simple up-front payment.

Beta testing is never 100% proof - plenty of software houses have found that out Smile . There is always going to be a risk potential with software upgrades, particularly where major re-coding has taken place.

I appreciate the fact that you have told people they could upgrade for free - a great offer on your behalf, but hardly very business-like. Here's an alternative model, used by other houses. Offer the product at a price, but not charge anyone who registered/purchased the earlier version within a set time frame before the release of the latest version.
Graeme

Some of my music here
I have no control over the transactions at that level. Because I use Amazon/SlideME/Play Store, I can't offer a means for people not to get charged. I can't even refund purchases - if I refund a purchase on the Play Store, it counts as a cancellation and the user is no longer flagged as registered. I also always have to pay the 30% free to the store, so even if I wanted to just send money back to people, I take a loss every time I do that. It really limits my options...

The app market is very different than the PC software market, and I think people have developed different expectations. I'd like to hear if people have had different experiences with other apps, but I don't believe any apps I know of charge for upgrades past the initial purchase. Google doesn't even have infrastructure for this (only in-app purchases and subscriptions), so your only option is to release an entirely new product on the market if you want to go that direction. You are definitely right that offering a free upgrade this big is not very business-like, but my main goal right now is to increase the size of the user base versus getting additional income from existing users.

I really need to get as much input as possible from users to know whether having to repurchase would be met with strong opposition, or would be welcomed as it provides the option to run both versions in parallel.

Thanks,
Mike
The other thing I should mention is that just because I release an update does not mean people have to download it. People that don't want to take the risk right away can sit back and wait to see what happens after the release, and then upgrade when they feel safe.

Mike
(09-16-2014, 09:45 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Thank you maestralien!

Graeme, I'm not sure what I should do. I've told many people they could upgrade for free, and a lot of users purchased the current version under the assumption that that would be possible. While I would love to be rewarded for the amount of work that went into this update, ...

Mike

Mike, I think definitely that a "upgrade-contribution" is what you sincerely deserve for the hard and great job you do! We all love MobileSheets and nobody, I say nobody, should get angry if you charge few box. Your job and app are so precious to us! Thanks again.
maestralien has hit on a good idea - how about a PayPal 'donation' button?
Graeme

Some of my music here
(09-16-2014, 06:38 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: maestralien has hit on a good idea - how about a PayPal 'donation' button?

Sure! I'd go for that, but usually the "donation" system does not work very good, many people just skip it ... how about upgrade from actual version for 3,50 EUR?
Mike, I would be quite willing to pay for version5 as a separate program. The amount of work you have put into your program is outstanding and I am sure all your users would agree its the best program going.
Paul. (Slate 21)