• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinch zoom in 3.8 is flaky
As I try to pinch zoom it hesitates as I move my fingers, and then zooms while my fingers are still on the screen. Shouldn't do that until I remove my fingers should it? Makes it hard to get the zoom right.
Hi Mike:

I ran the latest Beta release for about 6 hours during services on Christmas eve. It was pretty solid, except that the pinch-zoom feature doesn't seem to work reliably. Sometimes it applies the same zoom to all pages in the PDF (which is what I want) and other times it only applies it to the page I'm on (which is what I don't want). I also find it a bit difficult to use, as you don't know how much pinching to apply to get the result you want, so it turns into a guessing game. I find the old zoom slider to be more reliable, as it puts the box around the zoom area, and you can see what the zoom effect will be as you drag the slider. However, from your previous statements, I realize that you can't include that slider in the new version (but I wish you could).

Thanks.
-Larry
Can either of you guys explain to me why you find it desirable to use pinch zoom in a live situation? Surely it would be better (and a lot safer) to have all the material you are going to use zoomed/cropped/panned, or whatever prior to the event?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Yes, ideally it would. However, we sometimes get stuff handed to us in a few minutes before we start, and I don't have time to get it all cropped properly using the editing tools. So, the zoom control at least allows for getting it "in the ball park" until there is time later to do it the right way.
Does the automatic cropping not work for you? That would crop all the pages of the new material with one button click... Or if you have it set to automatically crop on import, it would already be done. Additionally, you can change to aggressive cropping if the score has noise around the edges.
(12-28-2014, 07:25 AM)stealth94rt Wrote: Yes, ideally it would. However, we sometimes get stuff handed to us in a few minutes before we start, and I don't have time to get it all cropped properly using the editing tools. So, the zoom control at least allows for getting it "in the ball park" until there is time later to do it the right way.

When you say 'handed' to you, in what format? Presumably, it's a format that you are going to import into MS, then Mike is right in saying to use the auto-crop feature, that should get you into the same ballpark.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Yes, in PDF format. I have the auto-crop applied. But sometimes things like page numbers at the bottom and hole punches from scanned pages interfere with the auto-cropping (even when "aggressive" is active). So for those instances, the zoom control provides a bit more magnification.
What size tablet are you running for this?

Personally, I think it's just as quick and easy to set the crop parameters manually, rather than relying on auto-crop, but then I don't get stuff handed to me at the last minute Smile. It's certainly a lot more reliable than try to do a zoom on the fly.
Graeme

Some of my music here
IMHO, manual cropping is amazing. It does not take long and it gets you just about as good a view of your song as you could hope for.

Great job, Mike!

(12-28-2014, 04:00 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: What size tablet are you running for this?

Personally, I think it's just as quick and easy to set the crop parameters manually, rather than relying on auto-crop, but then I don't get stuff handed to me at the last minute Smile. It's certainly a lot more reliable than try to do a zoom on the fly.
I think the original comment has gotten sidetracked. I was simply stating that the pinch zoom feature doesn't seem to work reliably. I didn't intend for a discussion of when to use it. If it is a feature in the software, then it should work; however, if it is not intended to be used, then it should be removed.
@ stealth94rt;
You probably should post your problem in the beta discussion above. Three reasons: 1. the original post is 2 years old; 2. it's about ver 3.8 not the Pro beta ver 1.1.0; and 3. Mike will be able to track/answer it easier. Smile
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Can a moderator please move this thread to the Beta test "bugs" area? I was in that area when I searched for "pinch zoom", so I wouldn't start new threads about something previous. I hit this and thought the original post was in the Beta area. My comments were intended for the Beta test version of MS.
I don't think this thread really applies (in its entirety) to the beta, so it might just be better to start a new thread in the beta forums if continued discussion is required.

Mike