• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updating (Swapping?) files
I'm confused: I want to update some songs with newer transcriptions. I copied the new file (using Companion Pro) and selected "replace file" but it just made a new entry in the song list. What I want is to update the transcription, but not have to reclassify it. Is there a way to do this/am I missing something?
Thanks,
Jeanne
The companion app does not have the same capabilities as the tablet for swapping files. This is something I still need to add.
(06-03-2015, 11:02 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The companion app does not have the same capabilities as the tablet for swapping files. This is something I still need to add.

Ahh. So to swap files on the table, I have to get the song onto the tablet first? When you do add it to the tablet, it would be nice to be able to do a batch swap. I'm using a base database that someone else is maintaining, so it would be handy to swap the whole thing but still keep my genre's, setlists, etc. 
And when you get to this, it would be nice to have a batch swap capability, i.e., swap all files in a folder on the pc for whatever is on the tablet.
Thanks,
Jeanne
I'm going to need a little more information on how the batch swap would work. Would you want it to try to find the songs using the files that match what is in the folder on the PC, and replace them? This could be error prone, especially if you have files with identical names in different folders in use by different songs.
Here's the situation: my partner updates one or more pdf files. I want the updates, but don't want to have to reclassify them (genre, setlists, etc.) or redo the annotations. I realize that, depending on the changes made, I might have to adjust the position of the annotations, but that's a lot easier than basically starting over with a new song and deleting the old one. I was thinking if I put the new files in one folder, that would be an easy way for me to keep track of which ones are new (and limit the risk of errors by not trying to update all 2000+ songs), but there may be a better way. For me, the file names are unique (I add a number if there's more than one that I want to keep). In other words, a bit of work on my part to make sure the file names match is worth it if the files than transfer in and keep the metadata.
Hope this helps!
Does your partner use MobileSheetsPro as well? If so, he could just export all of the songs with updated PDFs into one .msf, and you could import that and update all existing songs. If not, your best bet is to use the swap file feature with each individual song.

The other option would be to manage the files yourself instead of letting MS Pro do it, or just have your storage location be an easy to access folder on the SD card. Then, if a PDF needs to be updated, just drop the new version in the storage location, overwriting the existing file. MS will recognize that you changed the file and will update things accordingly.
(06-04-2015, 03:01 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Does your partner use MobileSheetsPro as well? If so, he could just export all of the songs with updated PDFs into one .msf, and you could import that and update all existing songs. If not, your best bet is to use the swap file feature with each individual song.

The other option would be to manage the files yourself instead of letting MS Pro do it, or just have your storage location be an easy to access folder on the SD card. Then, if a PDF needs to be updated, just drop the new version in the storage location, overwriting the existing file. MS will recognize that you changed the file and will update things accordingly.

Unfortunately, my partner uses Apple. She's in the process of updating a whole bunch of songs (getting rid of messy handwritten transcriptions and replacing them with more readable "typeset" ones). Of course, I'll want those updates. It is mostly a one-time problem. 
I could manage the files myself, but was hoping not to Smile ... I hadn't thought about that, and I think it could solve it (or close enough). Are there any downsides to managing the files myself, e.g., capabilities that I lose?
Not really - MS Pro will just use files in the locations you choose. The only downside is if you suddenly decide you want to move the locations of your folder (or rename it), and you are managing the folders yourselves, there is no way for MobileSheetsPro to know where you are moving the files, and the database will become out of sync with the file system (meaning your songs won't load).
OK. I'll try that. Or, can I use the locations MS uses, and drop replacement files there?
Yes, you can definitely do that
(06-05-2015, 03:02 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Yes, you can definitely do that

Where are they all now? I looked in the folder specified (android-data-com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro-files). I found a few folders with one pdf in them, but certainly not the whole database of 2000+ songs. Or do I need to change something in the settings to get everything moved there?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but though I do have a backup, I'd rather not make a mess!
Thanks!
Figure it out--nevermind! At least, I think I have...