• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jazz Chords in annotations
I would like to have a more easy way to write jazz chords in annotations.
May be I am wrong but to create a simple Ab-7 chord I
  1. create a textbox "A  -"
  2. create a stemp "b"
  3. resize and move the stemp "b"
  4. create a textbox "7"  
  5. resize and move the textbox "7"  
May be it is possible to have a chord slection similar to ireal pro?

Another option would be to have the b-flat, #-sharp, delta and diameter, sus, alt, numbers ...  symbols in upper position available as a special font using the size and height position according to the main annotation size/position.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

---------------------------------------------------------
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-P1325, Android 4.1.1
13" - Point of View POV_TAB-I1345, Android 5.1.1
Microsoft Surface Pro 4; Windows 10
Phone: Motorola Moto G3, Android 6.0
I just write them, using freehand...
FYI: What we call 'jazz chords' are chords that can be written down quickly, usually with a few strokes. They were written that way.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(12-07-2015, 08:27 AM)sciurius Wrote: I just write them, using freehand...
Confused My fingers are to thick for that. If I try to zoom in, I cannot move to the correct position, because zooming is always defined to the pages center.
Oops. Forgot to mention that my tablet has a stylus Smile .
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I definitely think this would be a useful thing to add. I'm going to need to focus on an update for annotations soon to add things such as this.
I write jazz chords a lot. This option would be nice.

I think it is faster now not to use stamps most of the time (I just use text box instead). So in your example, I would just write: Ab7b5

Jeff
(12-08-2015, 04:18 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I definitely think this would be a useful thing to add. I'm going to need to focus on an update for annotations soon to add things such as this.

Is there any progress on this issue?
Not yet - there just hasn't been enough time to tackle all the big features I need to work on. Sorry I haven't been able to address it sooner.
Like jeffn1 I use text annotations for adding chords.

I doubt that stamps would make it easier. 

I attached a screenshot of the Finale chord selection. Note that it needs a slider and contains 80 entries!

first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(04-16-2016, 06:23 PM)itsme Wrote: ... I doubt that stamps would make it easier. ...
It mustn't be stamps.
I would prefer for example a Chord-Input-Section similar to Biab or Ireal using something like a textbox to enter:
A7sus
Bb-7/F
C#7b13
This should generate the jazz chords as shown in the attached example.

The easiest way to accomplish this would be for me to add support for an extra font that works well with jazz chords, and then allow you to type in whatever chords you want, and they will appear as you've shown. I'll mark this down as something to do during the annotation rework.
This is quite trivial and will be sufficient for most cases.
However, there is more involved. For example, when the user types Abm6/Eb, what he really wants is

I've implemented formatting like this in my iRealPro data formatter and it is quite complicated.
Johan
While we are discussing fonts for 'jazz' chords, I'd just like to say I find the default font in iRealPro to be virtually unreadable in some instances. 

Why anyone ever thought the flowery pseudo-handwriting that seems to be loved by the producers of chord charts was a good idea, I shall never understand and I have my version display in a simple sans-serif font (and so do all the people I know who use that software).

Mike, if you ever do add something like this may I put in a request now - that the user be able to select a font they like.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(04-17-2016, 05:27 AM)sciurius Wrote: However, there is more involved. For example, when the user types Abm6/Eb, what he really wants is

Yes, that is what I thought of.
It is not so easy, but I think most could be done using simple rules for positioning and font size.
Attached you find a file, where I tried to define such rules that would work in the most situations.

At the end it is important to get one annotation object for one chord, that could be moved and resized according to the sheet without need to move or resize every single sign in it.

HtH Paul

Attached Files
.docx   Akkordaufbau.docx (Size: 79.24 KB / Downloads: 11)
@Vibraphon: Interesting. Did you create those rules / that file yourself? Do you use it anywhere else?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de