• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Song to Setlist, warning if double
Mike, would it be possible to display a warning dialog when a song is about to be added to a setlist and it's already there?
Mostly this is to be avoided (have the same song more than once in a setlist).
I have a "Needs Work" setlist that is populated with songs that need some adjustment, like improve chords or lyrics or format, so whenever I play a song and find the pdf needs refurbishment, I send it to that setlist. Often it's already in that setlist, which is pretty long with its 140 current entries. I know, I should actually work on the adjustments more often! 
For "regular" setlists a warning would surely be useful, too.
Thank you!
I do a similar thing, but I use a "Needs attention" collection rather than a set list. Songs can only appear in a collection once. So this problem doesn't arise.

Maybe this workflow would provide a quicker solution.

Regards

Andy
Thanks Andy, I like the convenience of adding a song quickly to a SL, outside of edit mode. Also, I don't have the Collection tab displayed as I didn't / don't have any use for it. To have all songs that "need attention" in a setlist seems to fit best into my way of using MSP.
Sure, I can add a new setting that requires confirmation if a duplicate song is going to be added to a setlist. I'll write this up as a future enhancement.
(10-06-2016, 03:58 AM)Ben Wrote: I like the convenience of adding a song quickly to a SL, outside of edit mode.

Sounds like we need a request for Mike to add an "add to collection" option.  Smile

When you are in the song list and have one or more songs selected the menu at the top has options to add or remove the songs from setlists and collections. It might be nice to have these available when displaying the song so adding to a collection was as easy as adding to a setlist.

(10-06-2016, 03:58 AM)Ben Wrote: Also, I don't have the Collection tab displayed as I didn't / don't have any use for it. To have all songs that "need attention" in a setlist seems to fit best into my way of using MSP.

There is an element of "whatever works for you", but I personally find collections easier for this. I use set lists, but only as an ordered list of songs to be played at a gig. Here the ability to move the order around easily is key. Although it doesn't happen often, I do occasionally need the same song twice. So I don't have a problem with the way it is now.

I like collections as a way of grouping songs for different purposes. So I'll have a collection for each band I play in and maybe a collection of Christmas songs. And my collection of songs that "need attention" Smile

The differences between set lists and collections is subtle and both can be used for very similar things. It is worth having a play with both to see what best fits your way of working.

Andy
(10-06-2016, 08:47 PM)AndyL Wrote: The differences between set lists and collections is subtle and both can be used for very similar things.

Let's not forget that MSPro is a tool for musicians to view sheet music while performing.
A collection is a sorted list of songs, no duplicates.
A set list is a user ordered list of songs, possibly with duplicates. And set lists have additional features that come in handy when performing. E.g. set list notes and the ability to view all songs one after another.

There are collections and lists for a reason.

Ben Wrote:I don't have the Collection tab displayed as I didn't / don't have any use for it.

Apparently, you do have a use for it.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
We all have our own sweet ways to make the very best of the very best app for musicians.
The reason I prefer an additional setlist over a collection is that I have one tab or dimension less, ==> less complexity.
Others find collections very useful and I'm sure they are. Just not for me.
The setlist for songs that I want to enhance is the first (starts with letter A), so it takes two seconds to add a song to that setlist, no searching whatsoever. And since the list is so long (mucho trabajo), I often move songs to the top when they are to be addressed first. I still think it would be good to have a soft warning when the song is already in the setlist. Sure, a "gig set list" will be designed with highest care but there are also the less official "buddy setlists" or "theme setlists" or "songbook setlists" that replace the old binders (all require manual sorting). When I see a song that fits into an existing list, say "Obscure Songs from the 60s and 70s", it's quickly added. Only to find, later, that I had the same idea 1 month back already. A soft warning would avoid this. One would need to confirm the duplicate obviously, no hard stop!
I have 59 setlists, which is perhaps more than Magic Mike had in mind when he designed the whole thing, but I just can't get enough of them!!
Anyway, I can certainly live without this suggested "warning". Living without MSP is more difficult to imagine...
(10-05-2016, 10:17 PM)Ben Wrote: Mike, would it be possible to display a warning dialog when a song is about to be added to a setlist and it's already there?
Mostly this is to be avoided (have the same song more than once in a setlist).
I have a "Needs Work" setlist that is populated with songs that need some adjustment, like improve chords or lyrics or format, so whenever I play a song and find the pdf needs refurbishment, I send it to that setlist. Often it's already in that setlist, which is pretty long with its 140 current entries. I know, I should actually work on the adjustments more often! 
For "regular" setlists a warning would surely be useful, too.
Thank you!

Good idea!  I agree.
Well, i agree with most here that using collections for the mentioned workflow would make more sense (imho). I wouldn't want to mix real setlists with such quasi collections and it is possible pretty easily and quickly to add to collections as well from within a song and from the respective lists. But to each his own.

But if Mike considers adding the warning in setlists I wouldn't like it as default. It would only bother me in most cases since I use my setlists as setlists, constructing them carefully and not as some kind of to do dump. So the chance to accidentally add something is minimal for me and I'd like a warning to be optional for this reason.

A bit OT, what is the difference between a collection and an album? Technically I don't see one. Mike, what's the intended use? CDs and LPs where the songs are tracks on? How do you others use albums different than collections?
(10-08-2016, 12:48 AM)BRX Wrote: But if Mike considers adding the warning in setlists I wouldn't like it as default.

Definitely!
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
The warning would be disabled by default. I typically don't like changing the app default behavior unless the majority of users appear to want that.

As for the difference between a collection and an album, there is no difference in terms of their ability to group songs without duplicates. This is the case with every group type (artists, albums, custom group, genre, etc). The only difference is that a collection can be used for an extra layer of filtering using the dropdown in the filter bar. An album can't be used that way. I should also add that I currently have options in the action bar for "Create Collection from Songs" and "Add Songs to Collection" if one or more songs are selected. These options provide a means to create or modify collections without having to first go to the collections tab. Those options are not available for other types (yet).
I must be missing something.
I can edit a song, and add it to a setlist, album or collection with equal facility/difficulty.
Having the collection or album tab(s) not displayed does not preclude using them.

I use 'setlists' in the classic sense of a group of songs played together in a performance. I don't currently have any duplications, but if I wanted any it would be a deliberate act...a warning would be an annoyance. ( I hate having to confirm shutting down my tablet, clearly I hit the shut-down button!)

For me, Collections are for the music for each of the instruments I play (ukulele, rajao, guitar, etc.).

For me, Albums are for groups of songs based on my personal criteria (songs I'm familiar with, songs I really like, and SONGS THAT NEED ATTENTION.)

If a song ends up in someone's 'needs work' setlist fifteen times, that's nature's way of saying 'get on with it!'
I could be wrong, it happened once before.