• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selectable MIDI transmission?
Just want to ask how the development of being able to transmit MIDI data at any time (as well as when a chart is loaded) is coming along? As I think I mentioned ages ago, iOS app called Unrealbook allowed "hotspots" which were placeable tabs on a page that when tapped executed what ever they were set to do. One could assing MIDI commands to these, or even "jump to/from" positions in a long chart.

They could be used for turning a drum machine on and off as well as selecting variation drum patterns. They could be used for changing user presets on a synh/keys...the list goes on.

Several iOS apps can do this so maybe there is something inherently more difficult with Android??

Anyway, just thought I'd ask.
There is nothing more inherently difficult with Android - it just comes down to time. I have to work on what's requested the most and this feature has not come up very often. It's still on my list of things to add after I deal with the higher priority changes.

Mike
wow I'm surprised more people are not asking after it. Especially the solo peformers who want to chagne say BeatBuddy (or other drum machine)presets or fills hands free, or want to load alternate synth setups midway through a song....I guess the user base for android and sheet readers is overwhelmingly either church players, bedroom players or just plain piano players Smile

I know a LOT of iOS users need/use a lot of MIDI operations and options in the chart reader software.

Not to worry. Although I might now have to consider going back to iOS to get this functionality. Although that wouldn't bother you too much I'd guess, I've already paid my money for MS Pro hahaha!
I never want disatisifed customers, and I would hate for anyone to have to go back to iOS just because my app doesn't have a feature they need. I'm just trying to be realistic with what I can manage. I have a limited amount of development time currently, and I have to balance that with customer support. I have to try to work on what the majority of users are requesting first, but I always try to fit in smaller features for individuals when I can. This feature requires a lot of UI changes, new database tables to store the information (which requires changes to the Android app, Windows 10 app and the companion app), along with a lot of new code for handling the actions themselves. That's why I can't just quickly add this in a day or two - it's going to take some time.

Mike
(01-30-2017, 08:05 AM)pax_eterna Wrote: wow I'm surprised more people are not asking after it. Especially the solo peformers who want to chagne say BeatBuddy (or other drum machine)presets or fills hands free, or want to load alternate synth setups midway through a song....

I'm not surprised by the lack of demand.  Where I live, we are inundated with solo performers of one type or another and I've yet to see one of them using a midi controlled setup.  To a man (or woman) they rely entirely on pre-recorded backing tracks.

I use midi a lot in composition, but never live (unless you count my Ztar) and I think that's probably more usual.  Without the pressure of a live performance, there is no need to have the ability to change things on the fly

With the recent introduction of the Win10 version - which was asked for by a lot of people - Mike has his hands full just keeping with tracking down the glitches in that version.  Don't forget, he's one person, with a proper job, trying to keep a lot of balls in the air.  Personally, I think he does a remarkable job of it.

If you can't live without these midi features, go back to IOS.  After all, you hardly have a major financial investment in MSP and the day may yet come when it will do what you want.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(01-30-2017, 12:44 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I never want disatisifed customers, and I would hate for anyone to have to go back to iOS just because my app doesn't have a feature they need. I'm just trying to be realistic with what I can manage. I have a limited amount of development time currently, and I have to balance that with customer support.  I have to try to work on what the majority of users are requesting first, but I always try to fit in smaller features for individuals when I can.  This feature requires a lot of UI changes, new database tables to store the information (which requires changes to the Android app, Windows 10 app and the companion app), along with a lot of new code for handling the actions themselves.  That's why I can't just quickly add this in a day or two - it's going to take some time.

Mike

haha, no I wouldn't think you would Mike. And overall I am not disatisified it's a great tool! As Graeme says the majority of folks he comes across use ONLY backing tracks and that's cool. all I can write about is the circles I move in.

And yes I totally understand the workload you are under and that required to bring this in. however it is not something I was looking for in the "next few days" so to speak. More an acknowledgement that it will make it in, not it will never make it in.

Woudl it be possibel to get it worked into the app without adding it to the other comapnion apps? Or I guess it's as much work doing that as doing the other. As in, once started and on that section it might as well be finished totally haha!

The only reason I am not using my BeatBuddy pedal, for example, is I cannot change beats via MIDI. As I play left hand bass lines, right hand keys, sing, need to change settings on the keys "on the fly" operate a harmomy pedal  - well there's not much left to run the drum pedal haha! Hence this request. Being able to modify keyboard setups dynamically would also make things a lot easier as well.

I left iOS as I was TOTALLY pissed off with the whole Apple ethos! That and the fact the 12" iPad is exorbitantly expensive!! I would much prefer to stick with Android and if I know that help with the MIDI side of things is coming, then I can at least stick a while longer...at lest to the point where it becomes totally unworkable haha!

Thanks fro taking the time to explain your postiion though, much appreciated Smile

Dennis
Hi Mike,
many thanks for all your terrific support.
Any news about the option to send MIDI messages at any time?

Thanks

Giovanni
I'm working on it, but not I'm not sure exactly when it will be finished. It's going to require database changes as well as UI changes to Android, Windows 10 and the companion app. So the changes need to be rolled out to all of them at once. That means I can't release any one version until the others are complete, and this is not a minor change, so it's going to take a bit.
Grazie Mike.

G
Hi Mike,
thank you very much for all your terrific work on MIDI.

Giovanni