• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrolling small pages in 1.9.5
A bug fix mentioned in 1.9.5 talks of vertical scrolling small pages. I don't think it is quite right. I have vertical scrolling set with page alignment set to bottom and align first page to top ticked. I have a song that has three small pages that almost fit on the screen.

When I touch next page the bottom of the second page moves to the bottom of the screen.

So I've lost all of the third page. Touching next page again gets the whole of the third page, which is what I expected to happen the first time.

Going back does more odd stuff and then things get even more confused.

Regards

Andy
I didn't test with that combination of settings, so I'll see if I can reproduce the issues you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike
(10-07-2017, 07:00 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I didn't test with that combination of settings, so I'll see if I can reproduce the issues you are seeing.

Thanks,
Mike

I would add that I am having similar problems to those reported above with 1.9,5 (but not in earlier versions) - and am sometimes seeing a black space appear instead of the next page when vertically scrolling.  I'm not sure that I could reproduce the problem, but it certainly seems to happen with music that has been cropped.
I believe I've fixed all of the issues now, and I've made a number of improvements when using heavily cropped pages. Any number of pages can be shown on the screen at once now, so it's no longer possible to have a section of the screen become black because it was more than two pages away from the current page (and the current page is whatever is in the center of the screen). Speaking of that, I want to have a discussion about how the current page is determined. Right now, when the pages are scrolled, the app is constantly checking to see when a new page crosses over the middle of the screen. This is how page turns occur. This can be unintuitive at times though, especially with some of the configuration options like aligning the pages to the bottom. I thought about adding a new setting that lets you control whether the current page is determined by the top of the screen, the middle, or the bottom, but for most users, I don't think this matters. If your pages are large enough to fill most of the screen, then it's a non-issue most of the time. For users who use small pages though, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Mike
I'm not sure I understand why I care which is the current page and how it is selected. So perhaps an explanation of why this matters would be useful before we comment on the ramifications of different selection modes.

Thanks

Andy
It would only matter if you care what song/page is shown in the overlay, or if you trigger actions when songs change such as sending MIDI commands (which would be unusual to do with a bunch of very small pages that all belong to different songs).
OK, so I don't think I care. I'm not bothered about the overlay and I don't trigger any actions on song changes. So I'm happy for you to do what's easiest, unless someone else shouts.

Thanks

Andy
I've just tried the latest version and it's better, but may not be optimal. With everything set as described above and using the same song, when I touch next page, the second page goes to the top of the screen. This shows all of page 2 and all of page 3 with a large amount of black below. If I touch next page again it puts the bottom of page 3 at the bottom, so most of page 1 is shown and I get the "End of Song" popup. If I touch previous page, it scrolls so the top of page 1 is at the top, so just a small amount. Touching next and previous now scrolls up and down by this small amount. If I touch previous several times I get the "Start of Song" popup and the behaviour goes back to next jumping page 2 to the top.

I'm not sure any of this is "wrong". I get to see all of the last page when I touch next. Which is what matters. So it's usable, but may not be perfect.

Regards

Andy
The combination of settings you are using (align first page to top and bottom align other pages) leads to some interesting problems with the layout logic, especially when testing with only a few small pages (I was testing with a setlist with a lot of pages).  If the first page is aligned to the top and the second page is so small that you can also see the third page, then the next page turn that is issued requires some special handling. This is because MobileSheetsPro sees that the current page is 1 and you are turning to page 2, but the bottom of page 2 is already above the bottom of the screen, which normally shouldn't happen when pages are aligned to the bottom. So I have to fall back to aligning the next page turn to the top of page 2. Unfortunately, that logic must also be missing a check to see if the scroll would cause the bottom of the last page to be scrolled up past the bottom of the screen. So I'll have to add additional logic for that (and also ensure that it works when the third page is so small that all three pages fit on the screen at once). Note that you won't encounter any of these issues if you don't align the first page to the top or you have all pages top aligned.

Mike
The combination of bottom align and align first to top was to make "normal" pages work better. My standard A4 page fits the screen with a small amount of black at the bottom. This is just enough to be able to see the first line or two of the next page (if the first page is aligned to the top). Then when I scroll I want a bit of the previous page visible to keep the context (align to bottom). Vary rarely do I have more than two pages. So this works well for most of the time and if I do, having the context of the previous page seems preferable.

The multiple small pages I've shown here is a little unusual and the current behaviour is workable. But if you can improve things it might help other situations too.

Thanks

Andy