• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing facing pages
Under the heading of "There's gotta be a better way."

I have never been able to scan a page of music when there is a facing page.  And with some of my music books I am just not able to fold the facing page part of the book underneath the other half.  So, I've done the following.

First of all, I use my phone to take the scan since it is easier to hold steady.  I scan both facing pages at the same time, so that the image contains both page 1 and page 2.  I then move it to Dropbox from my phone and rename it to SongName1.  I also take a copy of it and rename the copy to SongName2.  Then I import the two images into MSP on my notepad from Dropbox.

So they will be imported as SongName with two pages.  I'll crop the first page removing the rightmost image which was the original page 2.  Then I'll crop the second page to remove the leftmost image which was the original page 1.  Finally I have my 2 page SongName in MSP.  What  a pain!

...begging for a better approach.
NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple
I can't really offer anything simpler, except that I don't think you need two files. If both pages are in the one file, you can add that file twice (ticking the use existing file for the second). Then crop page one out of the first copy and page two out of the second. If nothing else, this will reduce the size of your database as only one copy of the file has to be stored.

HTH

Andy
(04-10-2018, 01:32 AM)AndyL Wrote: I can't really offer anything simpler, except that I don't think you need two files. If both pages are in the one file, you can add that file twice (ticking the use existing file for the second). Then crop page one out of the first copy and page two out of the second. If nothing else, this will reduce the size of your database as only one copy of the file has to be stored.

HTH

Andy

Not sure is you already responded to this, but you could you print a copy of each page out and then scan the pages? (That is what I do).
Even though I've access to a good copy/scan machine which has the feature to scan double pages into single scans I found the best (well relatively speaking) way is to scan the double pages as they are and into one single pdf  (if your scanner doesn't have the option, simply join the scans with one of many available merge tools) and only then split the double pages into single ones with a PDF tool.

The one I found that works quite well for this is "VeryPDF Advanced PDF Page Cut" but there might be others out there (and I'm interested to hear about them in case somebody knows).
I use the free version of "PDF Split And Merge"
https://pdfsam.org/
and I'm looking for something free or cheap that can undo cropping like this
https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/how-to-und...-document/
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(04-10-2018, 06:05 AM)BRX Wrote: Even though I've access to a good copy/scan machine which has the feature to scan double pages into single scans I found the best (well relatively speaking) way is to scan the double pages as they are and into one single pdf  (if your scanner doesn't have the option, simply join the scans with one of many available merge tools) and only then split the double pages into single ones with a PDF tool.

The one I found that works quite well for this is "VeryPDF Advanced PDF Page Cut" but there might be others out there (and I'm interested to hear about them in case somebody knows).

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm still looking for a free PDF tool to do this.
NuVision 13.3" Full HD - 16GB - Android Internet Tablet with Keyboard Case, Stand & Stylus (TM1318) - Purple
(04-10-2018, 06:49 AM)itsme Wrote: I use the free version of "PDF Split And Merge"
https://pdfsam.org/
and I'm looking for something free or cheap that can undo cropping like this
https://kbpdfstudio.qoppa.com/how-to-und...-document/

I couldn't get this to split anything, so I am still searching for a pdf tool to do this.
(04-10-2018, 01:32 AM)AndyL Wrote: I can't really offer anything simpler, except that I don't think you need two files. If both pages are in the one file, you can add that file twice (ticking the use existing file for the second). Then crop page one out of the first copy and page two out of the second. If nothing else, this will reduce the size of your database as only one copy of the file has to be stored.

HTH

Andy

Thanks.  I got this to work.  I guess this is about as simple as I can get it.
(04-11-2018, 05:22 AM)RVDowning Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 01:32 AM)AndyL Wrote: I can't really offer anything simpler, except that I don't think you need two files. ....

OK, glad it was helpful.

If it is only two pages I'd be tempted to transcribe them into a scoring package like MuseScore. Then you have the option to export them as PDFs or some other more convenient format. And once in a music scoring package you have the option to transpose and change the layout to better suit you needs.

Regards

Andy
(04-11-2018, 10:09 AM)AndyL Wrote:
(04-11-2018, 05:22 AM)RVDowning Wrote:
(04-10-2018, 01:32 AM)AndyL Wrote: I can't really offer anything simpler, except that I don't think you need two files. ....

OK, glad it was helpful.

If it is only two pages I'd be tempted to transcribe them into a scoring package like MuseScore. Then you have the option to export them as PDFs or some other more convenient format. And once in a music scoring package you have the option to transpose and change the layout to better suit you needs.

Regards

Andy

Thanks, but I don't really need anything that elaborate.   I scan the two facing pages using Simple Scanner on my phone which lets me share the file as either pdf or jpg.  For some reason it doesn't let me share the file to either Dropbox or Google Drive so I email it to myself and save it on my notepad and then import it to MSP.

Rich