• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transferring library to new device (with google drive)
I just purchased a new tablet (latest Surface Pro). Just recently, I purchased this program and had it installed on my Surface 3. I believe I set MSP so that the directory would be set on my local version of Google Drive.

Given all of that, what is the best way to transfer the library to the new computer? I realize I can backup on the old device and restore on new device. But I don't want to create multiple copies accidentally and I am not sure whether the library has already been transferred when I installed Google drive on the my new device.

Maybe all I need to do now is restore somehow from google drive (now installed locally on the new device)?

Note, I do not want to have the library merely accessible when I am online.  That is why I initially indicated that MSP should store things on my computer (even though the drive on the computer is google drive).

Thanks.
Using a local Google Drive folder to synchronize your library between devices is only going to work if the path to that folder is identical on each machine, so make sure you set it up that way (or the file paths in the database won't match up). Additionally, the MobileSheets database file is not stored in the storage location you specify. It's always stored under the application data directory C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState

So if you want to manually synchronize the files between the devices, you have to make sure that folder is identical on each device as well. Using a backup file to duplicate the libraries is usually the safest approach if you have any reservations about this. The upcoming library sync feature will make it easy to keep your devices in sync as well, so you may not want to rely on a local Google Drive folder for that.

Mike
(06-18-2018, 04:30 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Using a local Google Drive folder to synchronize your library between devices is only going to work if the path to that folder is identical on each machine, so make sure you set it up that way (or the file paths in the database won't match up). Additionally, the MobileSheets database file is not stored in the storage location you specify. It's always stored under the application data directory C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Packages\41730Zubersoft.MobileSheets_ys1c8ct2g6ypr\LocalState

So if you want to manually synchronize the files between the devices, you have to make sure that folder is identical on each device as well. Using a backup file to duplicate the libraries is usually the safest approach if you have any reservations about this. The upcoming library sync feature will make it easy to keep your devices in sync as well, so you may not want to rely on a local Google Drive folder for that.

Mike

After trying to copy my library to a new device last week and having big problems with broken file paths I am definitely looking forward to your upcoming library sync feature. Can't wait!
I am not too techy.  I find backing up to the Companion and restoring from the Companion to be pretty foolproof.

So, if you know one of your tablets has the best (most updated) data base, maybe back up and restore (using the Companion) from that?

(Sorry if I'm missing something).

Jeff