• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ChordPro Scaling
Sorry, it's me and ChordPro again... but first, I think its worth letting you know that MSP and ChordPro greatly helped me through the last rehersals and presentation. We expanded our repository and I was not able to find my sheets/notes quickly enough. With MSP, this is now over and the nice features around like transposition and scaling makes my music colleagues interested in MSP  Smile

However, I also experienced two strange ChordPro display issues (even not sure whether they are interrelated...):

1) When I scale a ChordPro display in MSP, scaling takes a while and the display starts flickering for a longer time as if the touch events are not processed quickly enough and queued. I'm not really sure, but I believe that this did not happen 2 versions ago, but this also might be related to my tablet.

2) When scaling a two-page ChordPro file without explicit page/column break and displaying it on two tables, roughly 3 lines of the first page are repeated on the second page, which is pretty confusing. This does not happen in initial/default font size and also not without tablet connection/in standalone mode. For the connection, I use bluetooth, book mode on, one page turn over mode, no separation in book mode, page turnover on slave devices, songs and set list loading on slave, no display of the same page on the slave, synchronization of song changes and no temporary copies.

Please let me know how I can help, whether you need further information, ...

Thanks again for MSP,
Holger

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016), SM-T580, Android 8.1.0 
MSP: 2.9.0
Holger
Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T580, Android 8.1.0)
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 (SM-T500, Android 12)
AirTurn Duo
Hello Holger,

The only thing that has changed with chord pro processing in the last 20 updates or so is that I now have to read through the document multiple times as I calculate the original key of the document on the fly instead of having it stored as a separate value in the database. This should require barely any processing time though, so I'd be really surprised if that is the cause of the display flickering for you. Nothing has changed even in the last 8 updates related to chord pro processing that would cause flickering, so I don't think the updates are responsible for that.

Display formatting across multiple tablets in book mode is not something I can synchronize at the moment. It would be incredibly complex for the slave device to have to wait for the master device to tell it how the pages are structured and what it should render on its screen. In fact, the master would have to render page 1, then the slave page 2, then the master 3 before the slave can know how it should render page 4, and so on. MobileSheetsPro is not set up for that at all - the "Connect Tablets" feature expects that each device has its own independent library and the communication between devices is very simple (i.e. message to turn pages, load this song or setlist, or trigger this pedal action). You will have to format your documents appropriately so that they are displayed on each screen as you desire. This is why it is fairly important to use two identical tablets if you need the rendering to be the same on each display. I can't promise I'll be able to modify the "Connect Tablets" feature with book mode so that it considers multiple devices when laying out chord pro files. That would basically require a completely new implementation of not only the messaging between the tablets but the actual rendering of the chord pro file itself.

Mike
(03-05-2020, 05:37 AM)Hi Mike,thank you very much for your detailed and quick answer. Based on your change logs, I also cannot imagine that MSP causes the flickering problem. I will keep an eye on that, might be I can nail it down a bit.If explicit formatting solves my page break problem, I will just do some more explicit formatting, as long as I can get rid of the duplicated lines.  Thanks again,HolgerZubersoft Wrote: Hello Holger,

The only thing that has changed with chord pro processing in the last 20 updates or so is that I now have to read through the document multiple times as I calculate the original key of the document on the fly instead of having it stored as a separate value in the database. This should require barely any processing time though, so I'd be really surprised if that is the cause of the display flickering for you. Nothing has changed even in the last 8 updates related to chord pro processing that would cause flickering, so I don't think the updates are responsible for that.

Display formatting across multiple tablets in book mode is not something I can synchronize at the moment. It would be incredibly complex for the slave device to have to wait for the master device to tell it how the pages are structured and what it should render on its screen. In fact, the master would have to render page 1, then the slave page 2, then the master 3 before the slave can know how it should render page 4, and so on. MobileSheetsPro is not set up for that at all - the "Connect Tablets" feature expects that each device has its own independent library and the communication between devices is very simple (i.e. message to turn pages, load this song or setlist, or trigger this pedal action). You will have to format your documents appropriately so that they are displayed on each screen as you desire. This is why it is fairly important to use two identical tablets if you need the rendering to be the same on each display. I can't promise I'll be able to modify the "Connect Tablets" feature with book mode so that it considers multiple devices when laying out chord pro files. That would basically require a completely new implementation of not only the messaging between the tablets but the actual rendering of the chord pro file itself.

Mike
Holger
AirTurn Duo
I tried it after closing all other apps... font scaling for ChordPro is still flickering for me and very slow. Sometimes, MSP even even switches songs during scaling. Rather strange. 

I will try a reboot of the tablet in the next days...
Holger
AirTurn Duo
I'll investigate this on my tablet as well. Can you send me the file you are working with? If it's happening with every file you've tested with, then I can use my own files, but otherwise I'd like to use the same file as you.

Thanks,
Mike
(03-07-2020, 05:20 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'll investigate this on my tablet as well. Can you send me the file you are working with? If it's happening with every file you've tested with, then I can use my own files, but otherwise I'd like to use the same file as you.

Thanks,
Mike

I did another "round"... after stopping MSP, it seems that scaling reacts more fluently. And it also seems that shorter/less complex files are rendered faster. Some of my files have multiple pages, some just fit onto on display.

I will try to find one file that "maximizes" the problem for me and let you know. If the problem persists, I will send you the respective file.

Best,
Holger
Holger
AirTurn Duo
Smile 
Just for the records: Mike and I exchanged a problematic file and Mike quickly found an explanation as well as a bug fix.

Thanks for your work. I'm looking forward to the next release  Smile

Best,
Holger

PS: Indeed, there was an evolution... the complexity of my files increased  Angel
Holger
AirTurn Duo
Works  Smile

Thanks again,
Holger
Holger
AirTurn Duo