• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Workflow - what is the best method?
If this has already been answered, please let me know... I couldn't find it...

What is the best way to create your own guitar tab, edit and play it?

I tried a text file I loaded onto a google drive and I can see how to edit it, but I can't figure out how to keep the tab rows together. Currently when I change pages I have a few strings on one page and a few on the other.

Do I need to use a different file type?

My goal is to collect guitar tabs from online and from friends, edit them to fit how I play and then play them.

Ideally, I would do this all in MobileSheets.

Thanks!
If you use a chord pro file, you can insert a page break before a guitar tab to ensure that it's not broken up between multiple pages. My chord pro logic with {start_of_tab} and {end_of_tab} is not currently ensuring that the tab doesn't get split up between pages, but I can certainly look into trying to support that in the future.

Mike
(09-24-2020, 03:43 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you use a chord pro file, you can insert a page break before a guitar tab to ensure that it's not broken up between multiple pages. My chord pro logic with {start_of_tab} and {end_of_tab} is not currently ensuring that the tab doesn't get split up between pages, but I can certainly look into trying to support that in the future.

Mike

It sounds like using {start_of_tab} and {end_of_tab} in a chordpro file would work nicely. 

A page break would be better than what I see now.

Are there other options until {start_of_tab} and {end_of_tab} are supported?

Thanks!
{start_of_tab} and {end_of_tab} are already supported - anything you put inside that block will be formatted with a fixed-width font (a monospace font). This ensures that each character/line is aligned correctly. I'm just saying that in the future I can add additional code that checks to see if a tab is going to extend past the end of a page, and if so, move the entire tab to the next page. This is not an easy thing to do though (despite how easy it sounds) because there are tons of things that have to be considered (such as multiple columns and whether the tab lines are long enough that they would wrap, creating multiple lines in the rendered document for each line in the tab), and documents are processed one line at a time, so I have to do extra work to buffer the contents, and move those lines around.

I can't think of anything that is currently supported that would ensure the tabs are kept together besides just forcing a new page. You can control the font size though (i.e. you can reduce the font size before the guitar tab to ensure it fits on the current page), so that is one thing you could also adjust to make the document fit as you desire. That's a lot more work than just inserting a page break though.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

I made a quick file with a text editor and it looks promising.

What is a good tool for creating/editing chordpro files? It looks like it will get a bit tedious in a text editor.

thanks
I just use NotePad++. Other users may be able to provide feedback on editors they've used that are designed for chord pro editing.

Mike
I'm no great lover of ChordPro, but I do get given files by other performers and I've found Chordsmith - http://www.statistics101.net/chordsmith/ - very useful for tidying up/correcting them.  It's giftware, so you're not obliged to pay for it but, if it's usefulto you, then it's only fair to bung the author a few bucks.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here