• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pen recognition issue, takes 2 tries to write.
Hello, I am a Galaxy tab S7 which I use in orchestra settings with a frequent markings with palm touching the screen in a rehearsal conditions.

There is an issue of writing down on the tablet - it quite often takes me 2 tries to get something to write as one can see from the video below. Without palm (last few tries) everything is fine but with palm on, it is quite frustrating. Below is the link.

https://youtu.be/HkZXj6RAV9Y

I do have Enable Touch Input in Stylus Mode turned on, but turning it off changes nothing, exactly same.

Please help so that I am no longer hindered from writing freely on the music during the rehearsal Smile

ps. it should also be noted that I didn't seem to recall having this problem until today, when in the morning, the tablet went through an update of UI... maybe it has something to do with it?

Onyou
I haven't really changed any code related to palm rejection, but in this case, the touch input is happening in a problematic order - your palm is touching down while you aren't annotating yet, which the app is going to interpret as a pinch gesture most likely, and then you hover the stylus, which will enter the annotation editor, but due to the fact that your touch input started with your palm, it's most likely disregarding the stylus input until you touch down a second time. I'll have to see how easily I can reproduce this on my S8 Ultra. It's most likely just going to require more of the palm rejection code in the normal viewing mode to ensure that the palm is ignored and doesn't interfere with the stylus input that comes after.

Mike
Hi Mike, now that I read your explanation, from time to time I also see on my tab s7 fe that the palm is interpreted as pinch.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
I want to follow up on this is actually device and/or stylus specific behavior. On my Samsung Tab S4, I can have my palm resting on the screen, and when I hover the stylus, MobileSheets immediately enters annotation mode and I can write without delay. However, on the Samsung Galaxy S8 Ultra, the S-Pen works differently, so if a palm is resting on the screen, the hover event is completely ignored and MobileSheets will never be notified of it. I tried every trick I could think of, but the touch event just isn't delivered to the views, so there is nothing I can do about that. You have to hover the S-Pen first, then you can rest your palm on the screen and start annotating (or just use a three finger tap to enter annotation mode). I'm sure Galaxy Tab S7 is identical to the S8 Ultra in this regard. There has been discussion about the S8 Ultra and other tablets in threads such as this: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyTab/comme...rejection/

The Wacom EMR is apparently what has changed. 

I also revisited the handling of palm rejection, but due to the fact that the Samsung tablet seems to have this integrated in the OS in some way, most of the time, I wouldn't even receive a touch event in my code when I pressed my palm on the device. Even when I did get a touch event, there was no way to clearly distinguish it from any other touch input (the reported touch size was still tiny). 

Mike
Dear Mike,

Thanks for your thorough follow up. I appreciate your time trying to find a solution - I understand you have exhausted your options. This afterall is a very small/minor inconvenience where I can live with it, happily enjoying your product that enabled me to be a modern musician with a tablet.

Thank you and hope you have a lovely day.