• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airturn BT500 problems
I'm trying to use an AirTurn BT500|S-2 with MobileSheets on a Surface Pro 7 with Windows 10 without success.  I had an earlier version of the Airturn, which worked fine.  I connected the AirTurn to my Surface via Bluetooth, but can't seem to make it work with MobileSheets. I've gone to MobileSheets settings then to touch and pedal settings then to Airturn Direct but can't seem to connect them. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
If you want to use AirTurn Direct Mode, I would advise clearing the pairing on the pedal first, set it in Mode 1, then go to AirTurn Direct Mode in MobileSheets, and then you may need to pair the pedal in order to have it connected. If this does not work, please switch to Mode 3, pair in the bluetooth settings in the OS, and then try the following:

1) Load MobileSheets, tap the three dots at the top right and then Settings.

2) Tap Touch & Pedal Settings and then Pedal Actions
3) Tap the "Keys" field for Pedal 1.
4) Tap the "Clear" button on the dialog.
5) Press a pedal switch. If a key shows up, the pedal is communicating properly with your device and will work with MobileSheets. If it does not, the pedal is not communicating properly with your device.
6) If a key shows up, tap OK, then select the action you want that pedal to trigger from the dropdown below the keys field. Repeat these steps for pedal 2.

If the pedal isn't communicating properly with your device, you can try re-pairing the pedal in the system bluetooth settings and repeating the steps above.

If none of that works, do you have another device we can test the pedal on?

Mike
(05-08-2022, 11:53 AM)If you want to use AirTurn Direct Mode, I would advise clearing the pairing on the pedal first, set it in Mode 1, then go to AirTurn Direct Mode in MobileSheets, and then you may need to pair the pedal in order to have it connected. If this does not work, please switch to Mode 3, pair in the bluetooth settings in the OS, and then try the following: Wrote: 1) Load MobileSheets, tap the three dots at the top right and then Settings.

5) Press a pedal switch. If a key shows up, the pedal is communicating properly with your device and will work with MobileSheets. If it does not, the pedal is not communicating properly with your device.
6) If a key shows up, tap OK, then select the action you want that pedal to trigger from the dropdown below the keys field. Repeat these steps for pedal 2.

If the pedal isn't communicating properly with your device, you can try re-pairing the pedal in the system bluetooth settings and repeating the steps above.

Mike

I have the same problem, the only difference: I have Airturn BT500S-4. I tried everything I could imagine. I have MobileSheets running on Windows tablet HP X2 (very well!). After my first unsuccessful attempts I installed Airturn Manager App on my Android phone. I updated the firmware of BT500 and resettet it to factory defaults. Unfortunetly it didn
(05-08-2022, 11:53 AM)If you want to use AirTurn Direct Mode, I would advise clearing the pairing on the pedal first, set it in Mode 1, then go to AirTurn Direct Mode in MobileSheets, and then you may need to pair the pedal in order to have it connected. If this does not work, please switch to Mode 3, pair in the bluetooth settings in the OS, and then try the following: Wrote: 1) Load MobileSheets, tap the three dots at the top right and then Settings.

Mike

I have the same problem, the only difference: I have Airturn BT500S4. I tried everything I could imagine. I have MobileSheets running on Windows tablet HP X2 (very well!). After my first unsuccessful attempts I installed Airturn Manager App on my Android phone. I updated the firmware of BT500 and resettet it to factory defaults. Unfortunetly that didnt change anything. After that I tried to get anything work on any machine I could get:- Android phone- Windows 10 Laptop, Bluetooth 5.0- Windows 10 Tablet, Bluetooth 4.2 (HP X2)- Apple Ipad PRo 13" (2021)all with factory defaults: open communication, mode 2. In mode 2 the 4 switches of bt500 work as arrow keys.Pairing always ran without any errors, on all machines. The Ipad was the only machine, where the switches work as expected (like the arrow keys), on all other machines there was nothing (except pairing itself).How to go on? Just returning the airturn back to company? Any suggestion?

kr,
Bernd HollermannGermany
[quote pid="37845" dateline="1652025194"]
(05-08-2022, 11:53 AM)I have the same problem, the only difference: I have Airturn BT500S-4. I tried everything I could imagine. I have MobileSheets running on Windows tablet HP X2 (very well!). After my first unsuccessful attempts I installed Airturn Manager App on my Android phone. I updated the firmware of BT500 and resettet it to factory defaults. Unfortunetly it didn Wrote: If you want to use AirTurn Direct Mode, I would advise clearing the pairing on the pedal first, set it in Mode 1, then go to AirTurn Direct Mode in MobileSheets, and then you may need to pair the pedal in order to have it connected. If this does not work, please switch to Mode 3, pair in the bluetooth settings in the OS, and then try the following:

1) Load MobileSheets, tap the three dots at the top right and then Settings.

Mike

[/quote]

hollermannhm, forum behaves strange, i'm confused...
I am adding back support for AirTurn Direct Mode in the Android version with the next update, so that is something you can try to see if it works. Otherwise, it's important to note that when the pedal is in mode 2 or 3, it is acting like a computer keyboard when paired with the device. That means that when you press the pedal, it will send a key down event like "page down" or "page up". So if you bring up an internet browser, navigate to a page that can be scrolled and then press the pedal, it should scroll the page if you are using mode 3 on the pedal (page up/page down). If that doesn't work, then the pedal is definitely not communicating correctly with the OS. As a side note, I would recommend trying mode 3 with MobileSheets versus mode 2, although in theory either should work.

Mike
I'm having the same issue with a new BT500 Duo pedal. Connects but isn't communication with the OS, it seems.

I've tried all of the above steps as well, even restarting each device after removing old devices and before installing the new devices, giving the OS as clean an environment as possible. AirTurn sent me here first to try to trouble shoot...

Charles Harris
(05-09-2022, 03:35 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I am adding back support for AirTurn Direct Mode in the Android version with the next update, so that is something you can try to see if it works. Otherwise, it's important to note that when the pedal is in mode 2 or 3, it is acting like a computer keyboard when paired with the device. That means that when you press the pedal, it will send a key down event like "page down" or "page up". So if you bring up an internet browser, navigate to a page that can be scrolled and then press the pedal, it should scroll the page if you are using mode 3 on the pedal (page up/page down). If that doesn't work, then the pedal is definitely not communicating correctly with the OS. As a side note, I would recommend trying mode 3 with MobileSheets versus mode 2, although in theory either should work.

Mike

Today I took all devices (BT500S-4, Notebook, tablet, ipda, android phone) to give it another try.

First I connected it to my phone and connected it to the bt500. It worked, so I managed to install the new firmware 3.0.6. That didn't change anything. Then I updated all available drivers on my hp x2 pro tablet, esp. firmware and bluetooth driver. It didn't change anything.

Then I connected it to my ipad pro. There it worked well! The Airturn Manager App is much more elegant than this on Android. So I continued working with the Ipad.

The Airturn Manager app offers many many opportunities to change the setting of the bt500. There are some different input modes, and you can assign every key combination you can think of, even for releasing the switch! Really amazing - if it's an Ipad. So I experimented a bit: I changed the mode "Mechanism" from "Pulse" to "Momentary" and some other settings; every time I changeg something, I stopped Bluetooth on the Ipad, startet Bluetooth on the tablet and looked what happens. Well .. nothing happened. I changed the code of one switch from "arrow up" to the letter "q". Opening a document on the Ipad and pressing the switch I wrote some "q"s like it should be. On the tablet nothing happened.

Maybe someone has an idea what's going on! For me it seems like the bt500 isn't recognized as a keyboard.

Hohever: I'm stuck with this.

kr,
Bernd Hollermann
Germany.
Hello Bernd,

I have contacted AirTurn about this, as at least 6 users have contacted me having issues with their 500 series pedals. They don't seem to work on Windows or Android based on what I'm being told by users. Hopefully AirTurn will find a fix for whatever is going on. I'll certainly post any information I receive. They provide the best support for iOS as there are far more iOS users of sheet music apps than Android. So you can contact AirTurn about this to try to find a resolution, but you may have to return the pedal. MobileSheets will be coming to iOS soon, but I'm sure you'd like something that works on all operating systems. Other users have switched to PageFlip or Coda Music pedals and those worked immediately. I've updated the pedals page on my website to reflect this. 

Mike

UPDATE:
I've been told that an update is coming next week to fix the issues users are seeing.
(05-22-2022, 04:13 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello Bernd,

I have contacted AirTurn about this, as at least 6 users have contacted me having issues with their 500 series pedals. They don't seem to work on Windows or Android based on what I'm being told by users. Hopefully AirTurn will find a fix for whatever is going on. I'll certainly post any information I receive. They provide the best support for iOS as there are far more iOS users of sheet music apps than Android. So you can contact AirTurn about this to try to find a resolution, but you may have to return the pedal. MobileSheets will be coming to iOS soon, but I'm sure you'd like something that works on all operating systems. Other users have switched to PageFlip or Coda Music pedals and those worked immediately. I've updated the pedals page on my website to reflect this. 

Mike

UPDATE:
I've been told that an update is coming next week to fix the issues users are seeing.

Just a moment ago (31. May 2022) I asked Daniel Vigil (support worker at Airturn) for this update.
(05-31-2022, 09:40 PM)hollermann Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 04:13 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Hello Bernd,

Mike

UPDATE:

Just a moment ago (31. May 2022) I asked Daniel Vigil (support worker at Airturn) for this update.

Today (3.6.2022) I realized that there is a firmware update for airturn BT500S4 (3.0.7) AND an update on MobileSheets (3.5.6). I took my Ipad as this is working well with the BT500 and installed the firmware update. In fact that didn't change anything.
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and also just purchased an AirTurn BT-500.  I also can't figure out how to discover the AirTurn through MobileSheets, and I've tried all of the modes. 

I also looked for a firmware but can't find it (only one for Android or Mac). Is there a firmware for Windows 11?
I sent an email to the AirTurn customer service as well.

Tim
Tim,

I would advise holding the power button on the pedal for eight seconds until you see the lights blink three times. That clears the pairing. Next, go into the tablet bluetooth settings and clear the pairing for the pedal and forget it. Next, with the pedal blinking in mode 1, meaning it wants to pair/connect, go to the AirTurn Direct Mode in MobileSheets, try to connect and see if it succeeds. Hopefully then it will connect as you would expect and you can set up the pedal actions as needed under Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Pedal Actions. You'll want to tap the keys field for pedal 1, then tap Clear on the dialog, then press the pedal switch and something should show up if it is working.

Alternatively, switch the pedal to mode 3, hold the power button for eight seconds until you see the lights blink 3 times, clear the pairing in the bluetooth settings, then turn the pedal on and pair it with the tablet. You can then set up the pedal actions in MobileSheets

Mike
(06-07-2022, 03:08 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Tim,

I would advise holding the power button on the pedal for eight seconds until you see the lights blink three times. That clears the pairing. Next, go into the tablet bluetooth settings and clear the pairing for the pedal and forget it. Next, with the pedal blinking in mode 1, meaning it wants to pair/connect, go to the AirTurn Direct Mode in MobileSheets, try to connect and see if it succeeds. Hopefully then it will connect as you would expect and you can set up the pedal actions as needed under Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Pedal Actions. You'll want to tap the keys field for pedal 1, then tap Clear on the dialog, then press the pedal switch and something should show up if it is working.

Alternatively, switch the pedal to mode 3, hold the power button for eight seconds until you see the lights blink 3 times, clear the pairing in the bluetooth settings, then turn the pedal on and pair it with the tablet. You can then set up the pedal actions in MobileSheets

Mike

Thanks, Mike. 
I tried both methods and still no luck connecting to the AirTurn. The customer service at AirTurn said that they are working to fix the problem.

Tim
I recently purchased a Duo 500 for testing to see if I could reproduce what other users have described, but the pedal worked in every mode I tested right out of the box on my Samsung Tab S4. So I'm still not sure why some users are encountering issues.

Mike