• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BeatBuddy Midi Messages
I have a BeatBuddy Rhythm pedal which I control using midi messages from MobileSheetsPro on my Android tablet. When a song is selected in MobileSheets, I have setup in the song so a midi message is sent to BeatBuddy to select the rhythm style and other midi message is sent to set the tempo. This works perfectly. However, when I return to the song library, I am able to manually select another Rhythm style on my BeatBuddy but the tempo is fixed to the tempo of the previous song which I cannot change using the tempo dial on the BeatBuddy. It appears that midi messages for the tempo are still being sent to the BeatBuddy after I exit the song. If I load another song that does not have any midi settings or exit out of MobileSheets completely, then the tempo on the BeatBuddy can be changed.

Is there a way to stop midi messages being sent from MobileSheets to the BeatBuddy when I exit the song and return to the Song Library.
I have found a work around to set the tempo in BeatBuddy. Rather than using "Start Sending Timing Clock" as the midi command in MobileSheetsPro to send a tempo command to BeatBuddy, you are able to do the same with Control Change (CC) commands. The benefit of using CC is the tempo command is sent only once to BeatBuddy rather than continuously using the timing clock. This means during the song or when you exit the song, the tempo on the BeatBuddy can be changed manually. To set a tempo of 109bpm, the CC commands are CC106  0 and CC107  109.  Please refer to the BeatBuddy manual under Tempo Control for more information.
Sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner. Yes, sending the tempo through CC commands is a much better way to handle this. In order to stop the MIDI timing clock, you have to explicitly trigger the stop sending timing clock message (which isn't actually a MIDI message, it's just issuing the command to MobileSheets to stop), which can be done with a smart button. I could do this automatically when switching songs, but that would mean that you'd have to explicitly add a "Start sending timing clock" message to every song in a setlist, which makes it very tedious to use.

Mike
Mike at ZuberSoft directed me to your thread for information on MIDI control of the Beat Buddy pedal.  I'm new to Mobile Sheets and I have a Beat Buddy pedal also and would like to control it through the Song Sheets in Mobile Sheets.  Can you help me with the following questions:
1. What method are you using to connect your tablet to your Beat Buddy - direct cable or Bluetooth.  Can you share with me where you purchased the cable or the Bluetooth device to connect the Beat Buddy to your tablet.  I have the MIDI cable for the Beat Buddy already.
2. At this time, I just like to try having the Song Sheet select the song on the Beat Buddy from the list of songs I have setup on it already.  I don't need to select a Style or Tempo on the Beat Buddy at this time. Not sure whether you have try this and if so, what do you think is the best approach and the MIDI command to use for this request and how do I set this up on the Song sheet in Mobile Sheets so it will send this when the Song Sheet is selected.

Thanks.
(10-18-2023, 04:44 AM)Music Lover Wrote: Mike at ZuberSoft directed me to your thread for information on MIDI control of the Beat Buddy pedal.  I'm new to Mobile Sheets and I have a Beat Buddy pedal also and would like to control it through the Song Sheets in Mobile Sheets.  Can you help me with the following questions:
1. What method are you using to connect your tablet to your Beat Buddy - direct cable or Bluetooth.  Can you share with me where you purchased the cable or the Bluetooth device to connect the Beat Buddy to your tablet.  I have the MIDI cable for the Beat Buddy already.
2. At this time, I just like to try having the Song Sheet select the song on the Beat Buddy from the list of songs I have setup on it already.  I don't need to select a Style or Tempo on the Beat Buddy at this time. Not sure whether you have try this and if so, what do you think is the best approach and the MIDI command to use for this request and how do I set this up on the Song sheet in Mobile Sheets so it will send this when the Song Sheet is selected.

Thanks.

Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

I extensively use MobileSheets on my Android to control the Beat Buddy and the settings on my keyboard. When I select a song in MobileSheets, various midi commands that I have setup in the Midi tab of the song instantly selects the Drum style, tempo, volume and settings on my Nord.

To answer your questions
1. I use a cable to connect my tablet to my Beat Buddy. You will find details of the connection at  mioXC — iConnectivity . The problem is the Android tablet does not have enough power to send midi messages via this cable to the Beat Buddy. I therefore had to purchase a midi power adapter available at  MIDI Solutions Power Adapter; Power Supply for MIDI Solutions Products . The midi connection cable from my Android connects to the power adapter and from the power adapter to Beat Buddy.
2. Go into the song sheet in MobileSheets and tap the middle of the song to bring up various menu options. At the top left-hand corner select the pencil icon. A set of tabs will appear and select the Midi tab. Select + then add a label name. The Command Type is Patch Select. The Channel is 1 (this is the channel set in Beat Buddy). The Command is MSB = 0, LSB = the style on Beat Buddy. Remember midi numbers start from 0 so Ballad mini being the first style will have a value of 0 and the second style Blues will have a value of 1. Value = the number of the beat within the style, Ballad 2 within Ballad mini being the first beat will have a value of 0. Send on song load will be On. Load song on Receive will be Off. Select OK. Select Ok at top of screen.  Now when that song sheet is selected, the Beat Buddy will be changed to your settings on the song.

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Thank you for responding CLW - it really helps when users share their experiences and solutions.

Mike
(10-18-2023, 09:12 AM)CLW Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 04:44 AM)Music Lover Wrote: Mike at ZuberSoft directed me to your thread for information on MIDI control of the Beat Buddy pedal.  I'm new to Mobile Sheets and I have a Beat Buddy pedal also and would like to control it through the Song Sheets in Mobile Sheets.  Can you help me with the following questions:

Thanks.

Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

I extensively use MobileSheets on my Android to control the Beat Buddy and the settings on my keyboard. When I select a song in MobileSheets, various midi commands that I have setup in the Midi tab of the song instantly selects the Drum style, tempo, volume and settings on my Nord.

To answer your questions
1. I use a cable to connect my tablet to my Beat Buddy. You will find details of the connection at  mioXC — iConnectivity . The problem is the Android tablet does not have enough power to send midi messages via this cable to the Beat Buddy. I therefore had to purchase a midi power adapter available at  MIDI Solutions Power Adapter; Power Supply for MIDI Solutions Products . The midi connection cable from my Android connects to the power adapter and from the power adapter to Beat Buddy.
2. Go into the song sheet in MobileSheets and tap the middle of the song to bring up various menu options. At the top left-hand corner select the pencil icon. A set of tabs will appear and select the Midi tab. Select + then add a label name. The Command Type is Patch Select. The Channel is 1 (this is the channel set in Beat Buddy). The Command is MSB = 0, LSB = the style on Beat Buddy. Remember midi numbers start from 0 so Ballad mini being the first style will have a value of 0 and the second style Blues will have a value of 1. Value = the number of the beat within the style, Ballad 2 within Ballad mini being the first beat will have a value of 0. Send on song load will be On. Load song on Receive will be Off. Select OK. Select Ok at top of screen.  Now when that song sheet is selected, the Beat Buddy will be changed to your settings on the song.

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Thanks for the quick reply and information.  Much appreciated.  Have you try using Bluetooth MIDI to connect from the Tablet to the Beat Buddy.  This will free up the USB port as one concern I have is if I used the USB port on the Tablet for the MIDI connection, then I have no way to charge the Tablet and it may run out of power in the middle of a session.  Also, do you know what MIDI command can be used to select a specific song already programmed into the Beat Buddy as I have a list of songs already setup with the style and tempo in the Beat Buddy and I just need to be able to select that song using Mobile Sheets instead of using the knobs on the Beat Buddy to find that song.
(10-19-2023, 04:11 AM)Music Lover Wrote:

Thanks.

Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

To answer your questions

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Thanks for the quick reply and information.  Much appreciated.  Have you try using Bluetooth MIDI to connect from the Tablet to the Beat Buddy.  This will free up the USB port as one concern I have is if I used the USB port on the Tablet for the MIDI connection, then I have no way to charge the Tablet and it may run out of power in the middle of a session.  Also, do you know what MIDI command can be used to select a specific song already programmed into the Beat Buddy as I have a list of songs already setup with the style and tempo in the Beat Buddy and I just need to be able to select that song using Mobile Sheets instead of using the knobs on the Beat Buddy to find that song.
Hello Music Lover

Selecting a song using Midi in Beat Buddy is exactly the same as selecting a beat as described above.

I assume you have setup your list of songs in Beat Buddy using the Beat Buddy Manager.

Open the Beat Buddy Manager on your PC. On the left hand side of the screen in the Songs tab there will be folders that contain the various styles of beats and you may have a folder that contains your songs. Count down from the top the number of folders. Your songs folder may be number 20 for example. Refer to my notes above, LSB for your folder will be 19. Within your song folder will be a number of songs that you have setup. Let's say the song in Beat Buddy you want MobileSheets to select is song number 5 in that folder. Value (see my notes above) will be 4.

If you program the Midi setting in your song in MobileSheets to the above, when that song is selected, the song in Beat Buddy will also be selected.
(10-20-2023, 08:11 AM)CLW Wrote:

Thanks.

Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

To answer your questions

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Hello Music Lover

Selecting a song using Midi in Beat Buddy is exactly the same as selecting a beat as described above.

I assume you have setup your list of songs in Beat Buddy using the Beat Buddy Manager.

Open the Beat Buddy Manager on your PC. On the left hand side of the screen in the Songs tab there will be folders that contain the various styles of beats and you may have a folder that contains your songs. Count down from the top the number of folders. Your songs folder may be number 20 for example. Refer to my notes above, LSB for your folder will be 19. Within your song folder will be a number of songs that you have setup. Let's say the song in Beat Buddy you want MobileSheets to select is song number 5 in that folder. Value (see my notes above) will be 4.

If you program the Midi setting in your song in MobileSheets to the above, when that song is selected, the song in Beat Buddy will also be selected.

Thanks for the instructions. I got it working now.  Wish there is a way that I can import the MIDI command to Mobile Sheets as I can easily create a file with the song name and the MIDI command that match each song instead of having to type it in song by song.  Also, with your current setup, how can you charge your tablet during a session when you are using the USB-C port to connect the MIDI cable.
(10-20-2023, 02:27 PM)Music Lover Wrote:

Thanks.

Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

To answer your questions

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Hello Music Lover

Thanks for the instructions. I got it working now.  Wish there is a way that I can import the MIDI command to Mobile Sheets as I can easily create a file with the song name and the MIDI command that match each song instead of having to type it in song by song.  Also, with your current setup, how can you charge your tablet during a session when you are using the USB-C port to connect the MIDI cable.
Hello Music Lover

Good to hear that you have midi controlling your Beat Buddy from MobileSheets. 

I charge my tablet between music sessions. On a full charge, my tablet will last 4+ hours before requiring a recharge. 

All the best with enjoying your Beat Buddy. I have certainly enjoyed using MobileSheets to control all the settings on my keyboard and the Beat Buddy.
(10-21-2023, 08:08 AM)CLW Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 09:12 AM)CLW Wrote: Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

To answer your questions

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Hello Music Lover

Hello Music Lover

I charge my tablet between music sessions. On a full charge, my tablet will last 4+ hours before requiring a recharge. 

All the best with enjoying your Beat Buddy. I have certainly enjoyed using MobileSheets to control all the settings on my keyboard and the Beat Buddy.

Thanks again for all your insight and instructions. Looking forward to using Mobile Sheets with my Beat Buddy in my next jam session.
(10-21-2023, 08:08 AM)CLW Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 09:12 AM)CLW Wrote: Hello Music Lover

Thanks for your message.

To answer your questions

Hope this helps

Regards

CLW
Hello Music Lover

Hello Music Lover

In order to be able to supply power to the Android tablet at the same time, I am now switching to CME Widi, which leaves the USB port free for charging.