• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real-book jazz font?
I see that MobileSheets doesn't allow use of user-specified fonts. I have the RealBook font from https://github.com/vinzentt/jazz-lead-sh...ebfont.ttf, and would love to use it for my text. It looks similar to the chord-name stamps and other stamps in the built-in set.

Any chance it, or a free font like it, could be bundled into MobileSheets? I understand requiring external fonts causes portability issues (though I personally would be happy to ensure my font is installed anywhere I'd need it).
The real issue with supporting user-supplied fonts is with determining what characters should be displayed in the stamps window, because fonts can have thousands of characters. With the existing stamps in MobileSheets, I created a configuration file that specifies which characters to use from each font that is bundled and the order of those stamps. In order to support user-specified fonts, I would also require that the user provide this kind of configuration file indicating which characters to use from that font. This would eliminate a lot of the complexity. Then I would also have to support ensuring that the custom font is bundled if you export a song containing annotations that utilize that custom font. So it's certainly something I can support in the future, but it will require that extra step of users mapping out the characters/symbols they want to use from the font.

Mike
(10-01-2022, 04:21 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: The real issue with supporting user-supplied fonts is with determining what characters should be displayed in the stamps window, because fonts can have thousands of characters. With the existing stamps in MobileSheets, I created a configuration file that specifies which characters to use from each font that is bundled and the order of those stamps. In order to support user-specified fonts, I would also require that the user provide this kind of configuration file indicating which characters to use from that font. This would eliminate a lot of the complexity. Then I would also have to support ensuring that the custom font is bundled if you export a song containing annotations that utilize that custom font. So it's certainly something I can support in the future, but it will require that extra step of users mapping out the characters/symbols they want to use from the font.

Mike

Thanks! I was just thinking about being able to select it as a font in the Text tool though, not necessarily to create new stamps.
If the stamps in the Jazz tab come from an already-bundled real-book-style font (they look like they do), then maybe all I need is to expose that font in the text tool's font selector drop-down.
I can certainly support that as well but when you go to type in letters from that font, the virtual keyboard is still going to just show the regular letters (a, b, c, etc). So you would still need to know what character maps to which symbol, which is the benefit of the stamp window - it gives you that information graphically so you don't need to know what characters are being used. 

Mike
I see -- I wasn't thinking about symbols at all I guess, just typing regular text, for things like "Start 2 feel, then walk on solos" or "ending: tag 3x". Perhaps the font you have is more like a "wingdings" font with symbols replacing standard characters? The one I mentioned at https://github.com/vinzentt/jazz-lead-sh...ebfont.ttf (I don't know its license terms) is just a regular Unicode-style font (0x65="A", 0x31="1", etc.), no special symbols. If your bundled one is wingding-style then yeah, it would be harder to just type with it.