• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth pedal setup
Hi Mike, I'm trying to setup a Donner bluetooth pedal without success are there any specific instructions for the iPadOs I should follow. The pedal works fine in songsheetpro so is communicating with the iPad correctly but in Mobilesheets it is not recognising the pedal presses. In the pedal setup dialog pressing the pedal causes the keys field appears to spot something has happened as it gets a blue border, but the action name does not appear. I've also noticed that Aiturn support is enabled and cannot be disabled, well it can be disabled but then the dialog cannot be exited so Airutn remains on. Also dialog shows it searching for devices but it never actually finds any.

The pedel is supported on my android so I think its just a lack of iPad skills/documentation im missing 

thanks for any guidance
Steve
Try the different mode settings on the pedal itself. Each sends different commands. Sounds like it's sending tabs at the moment.
(01-06-2023, 03:09 AM)mdavej Wrote: Try the different mode settings on the pedal itself. Each sends different commands. Sounds like it's sending tabs at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion mdavej but the pedal works perfectly if I pair it with my android tablet so I think the problem is with the iPad/mobilesheets setup. The inability to turn off airturn is where I suspect the issue lies.
If you turn off AirTurn Direct Mode and tap outside the dialog, it should just dismiss it. That works perfectly fine on my iPad. If I then bring up the dialog, it stays disabled. That shouldn't impact how MobileSheets process key commands though. You should be able to go to Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Pedal Actions, tap the keys field for pedal 1, tap the clear button, then press the pedal and see a key show up. If it does not, what key command is your donner pedal currently sending? 

Mike
(01-06-2023, 04:00 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: If you turn off AirTurn Direct Mode and tap outside the dialog, it should just dismiss it. That works perfectly fine on my iPad. If I then bring up the dialog, it stays disabled. That shouldn't impact how MobileSheets process key commands though. You should be able to go to Settings->Touch & Pedal Settings->Pedal Actions, tap the keys field for pedal 1, tap the clear button, then press the pedal and see a key show up. If it does not, what key command is your donner pedal currently sending? 

Mike

If I turn off airturn and drag the dialog down it does close it (the top left arrow back button does nothing) but if I go back in its enabled itself again. 

Clearing the keys field and pressing the pedal just puts a blue border around the field. The pedal is sending DPAD_UP/DPAD_DOWN and works when paired with my android tablet.

Thanks
You are running version 3.6.5, correct? I'm not sure how we can be seeing such a drastic differences in behavior. You shouldn't need to drag the dialog down - tapping outside of it should just dismiss it. Or is the dialog taking up too much space on your screen? What model of iPad are you using? I'm also not sure why AirTurn Direct Mode would be enabled again when you bring up the dialog as I'm definitely not seeing that. You did grant MobileSheets the bluetooth permissions it needed when you were prompted, correct? It may be worth going to your tablet settings, scrolling down to MobileSheets, and verifying you have granted the bluetooth permission. Even if AirTurn direct mode is disabled, I still rely on AirTurn's framework to deliver key press notifications, as they are handling setting up the listener for the notifications and such, so then I just have one central location in the code that is generating those key press notifications. I'm wondering if something is stopping the AirTurn library from working correctly, which is preventing the key press notifications from being triggered.

Mike
Yes mobilesheets is  3.6.5. Ipad is running iPadOS 16.1.1  it is an iPad AIR 3rd generation. MobileSheets has Bluetooth permission set on.
I will update the AirTurn library to the latest version and we can see if that somehow helps with the issues you are seeing, as I'm not sure what else to try. As it stands, I've tested a Cicada PageFilp, Coda Music Pedal, AirTurn Ped Pro, AirTurn BT-106 QUAD, AirTurn DUO 500, and AirTurn Digit III, and they all work without issue on both my iPad Pro and my smaller iPad. I don't have an iPad Air to test with, but I don't think that should make a difference.

Mike
Also, as a side note - bluetooth pedals act like keyboards, and iOS is different in how it handles keyboard input compared to Android. I've found that if I have a pedal connected and I type in a text field, I have to manually bring up the keyboard by tapping the keyboard icon at the bottom of the screen, then "Show Keyboard". However, once I've done that, I then have to press the pedal multiple times before it switches back to processing the pedal input. I don't think this is relevant to the problem you are seeing, as I'm sure you pressed the pedal multiple times on the pedal keys dialog, but I just wanted to mention it.

Mike
Hi Mike I've installed version 3.6.7 and it's still not working, is there anything else I can do to help with tracking down the problem?
I don't know much about that Donner pedal - does it let you switch the mode on it to change which keys are sent? Can you configure it to send page up/page down keys? I'd like you to test with that if possible. Also try to see if you can scroll an internet browser using page up/page down outside MobileSheets to see if the pedal is communicating like a normal bluetooth keyboard. I know you said it's working in that other app, but I'd like to identify it works with this simple test.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-10-2023, 08:21 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I don't know much about that Donner pedal - does it let you switch the mode on it to change which keys are sent? Can you configure it to send page up/page down keys? I'd like you to test with that if possible. Also try to see if you can scroll an internet browser using page up/page down outside MobileSheets to see if the pedal is communicating like a normal bluetooth keyboard. I know you said it's working in that other app, but I'd like to identify it works with this simple test

Hi Mike, yes it does allow you to configure the keys, I have selected page up/down and tried using a Web browser, where it works perfectly. Unfortunately mobilesheets still refuses to recognise the pedal presses, it appears to see something has been pressed as the field border turns blue but it doesn't fill in the key name.

Thanks
(01-06-2023, 03:22 AM)spflmf Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 03:09 AM)mdavej Wrote: Try the different mode settings on the pedal itself. Each sends different commands. Sounds like it's sending tabs at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestion mdavej but the pedal works perfectly if I pair it with my android tablet so I think the problem is with the iPad/mobilesheets setup. The inability to turn off airturn is where I suspect the issue lies.

That pedal, if it's the one I think it is, has five different modes that each send different keypresses. If it's working with the Android tablet, it would make sense that it should work with the iPad too, but I would still try at least modes 1-3 and see if any of them allow you to set the keystrokes in the "Pedal Actions" settings.

On my iPad, if I tap "Airturn Direct Mode," then disable the "AirTurn Support" toggle, then tap outside the dialog, the dialog disappears and Airturn support remains off. This is on iPadOS 16.2, MobileSheets 3.6.7.
(01-12-2023, 02:28 AM)jlgtx Wrote:
(01-06-2023, 03:22 AM)spflmf Wrote:

That pedal, if it's the one I think it is, has five different modes that each send different keypresses. If it's working with the Android tablet, it would make sense that it should work with the iPad too, but I would still try at least modes 1-3 and see if any of them allow you to set the keystrokes in the "Pedal Actions" settings.

On my iPad, if I tap "Airturn Direct Mode," then disable the "AirTurn Support" toggle, then tap outside the dialog, the dialog disappears and Airturn support remains off. This is on iPadOS 16.2, MobileSheets 3.6.7.
My pedal (different than OP's) sends screen swipes in Andriod mode that don't work at all in iPad mode. So claiming it should work on all platforms if it works on one is a fallacy. That's why it's worth trying the different modes in order to find iPad/MobileSheets friendly commands/keys.
I believe I have found a way to fix all of these pedal issues. In the current version, if the AirTurn support toggle is switched off, pedal input stops working entirely. The next version (3.6.8) will fix that, and I will be submitting it to Apple today. 

Thanks,
Mike