• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Automatic MIDI connection
I use MobileSheets on a Samsung Tab 7 FE and connect it via USB to a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 to send MIDI program changes.
Up until recently, MobileSheets would detect the VL3 immediately upon connection and I wouldn't have to do anything else.
Now every time I connect the USB I have to go to MobileSheets MIDI settings and tap each connection before it shows (Connected)
For whatever it's worth, my tablet recently updated itself from Android 12 to 13. Don't know if that might be related.
Any ideas on what might have changed and how I can fix it? It's a minor annoyance, but it was so much more convenient to just plug and play.
If you are using the Google MIDI library, when you connect to MIDI input and output ports, MobileSheets saves the names of those ports. If the application is restarted and MobileSheets detects that MIDI devices are connected, it will compare the input/output ports for that device with the values saved in the configuration file. If it sees a match, it will automatically connect to those. So if this is not working for you, it means that either the port names are being reported in an inconsistent fashion where they don't match what was saved in the MobileSheets configuration, or something is happening where saving/loading of the configuration file is not working properly. I'm not sure how else to explain it. If you switch the MIDI library to "Default", that MIDI library will just automatically connect to any device that is connected, but you lose the ability to utilize MIDI port filtering.

Mike
The VL3 has only ever been able to use the Google Library, so that hasn't changed
The firmware on the VL3 hasn't changed in many years, so that's not it
The port number displayed by MS does change every time, but it's always done that
So I guess I'm not sure how it was previously able to auto-connect every time
There may have actually been bugs in the past where MobileSheets wasn't correctly managing the list of saved ports. With the current version, MobileSheets is only saving the ports that were last connected to, so if the ports are always changing, it won't reconnect. I can look through logic again to see if there are any improvements that can be made. Perhaps I can save a larger list and just prune the list if it gets beyond a certain size, or I could base it on dates (i.e. only save connections for the last 30 days).

Mike
I reviewed the code and I haven't touched the code that manages the list of saved ports for a very long time, so that can't be involved here. So I don't have an explanation for why it previously worked for you without knowing what ports were saved. If you load up the "Configure MIDI Connections" dialog, that is going to clear the saved ports when you switch between MIDI libraries or turn on/off ports. The list isn't modified otherwise. I do think if I adjust the code to build a larger list of ports and use different logic to decide when to clear ports out (i.e. only when the user specifically unchecks them on the Configure MIDI Connections screen), that should address the issues you are currently seeing.

Mike
As always we appreciate your hard work. I don't know of any other developer who gives his users this level of personal attention.
I certainly do my best to give every individual user the support they need, even if it comes at the cost of slower development.

Mike
For what it's worth, I'm seeing the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8: it used to connect automatically, but now I have to go to settings and manually make the connection each time.  It's working OK otherwise.  Android 13, MobileSheets 3.6.9, Google MIDI library.

I'm not sure when exactly this changed, so don't know if it could have been an Android update, a MobileSheets update, or something else.
My MIDI woes are increasing. My tablet has started randomly disconnecting from the VL3. When it disconnects, the MIDI ports disappear entirely from MS until I pull the cable from the tablet and reconnect it. Any insights would be greatly appreciated
Can you try using one of the other MIDI libraries to see if that resolves the issue? I definitely have not changed any of the USB MIDI functionality for a long time.

Mike
No MIDI ports appear using any of the other MIDI libraries
That is correct - the other MIDI libraries don't display MIDI ports. They just connect automatically to whatever MIDI device is detected. Do you not see a connection message when switching to those libraries?

Mike
I tried using the standard library and that seemed to work ok. The only minor issue was that some of my songs that have multiple commands separated by pauses didn't work correctly. I'm guessing the standard library connection is slower and requires longer pauses?
That may be true - it uses a very different implementation.

Mike
(02-10-2023, 03:15 AM)bfields Wrote: For what it's worth, I'm seeing the same issue on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8: it used to connect automatically, but now I have to go to settings and manually make the connection each time.  It's working OK otherwise.  Android 13, MobileSheets 3.6.9, Google MIDI library.

I'm not sure when exactly this changed, so don't know if it could have been an Android update, a MobileSheets update, or something else.

This is no longer a problem, by the way.  It seems to always connect automatically.

Still using a Galaxy Tab S8, Android 14, MobileSheets 3.8.36, Google MIDI library.  Again, I'm not sure when the behavior changed.