• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batch edit issues
When editing fields on multiple songs, the interface has several issues depending on the platform:

Windows and Android color versions: looks ok however according to the brief section in the manual, fields that are different between songs are highlighted red (not sure what the selection box is for)
Not sure how this works since in the Windows version there are no red fields even though are different between songs ...

e-ink version:
  The field name shows up all black and unreadable and the selection box is not there.

Also in all versions: When trying to edit more than 2 songs, their names listed at the top is not complete and covered by the fields list. Perhaps it needs a scroll bar?
Can you explain the purpose of the select boxes and the red color in the fields?  I tried to make sense of it but it doesn't seem to work consistently.
They seem to become selected when for example I add or remove one of the field values but I can also select the box myself, what does that do?

Thanks
Onyx Boox Max Lumi 13.3 -Android 10
Dell Latittude 5290 2-in1 (Win 11)
Donner BT pedal
The red color indicates that the songs have different metadata. If you check the selection Box and confirm with okay all the selectet Songs will get the same Information of metadata in that field. Its a "merge" function.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE Android 12
Samsung Note Pro 12.2 LineageOS 14.1
Huawei Media Pad M3 lite Android 7
(01-25-2023, 04:48 PM)McAroni Wrote: The red color indicates that the songs have different metadata. If you check the selection Box and confirm with okay all the selectet Songs will get the same Information of metadata in that field. Its a "merge" function.

Thanks @McAroni.  There are still the other issues that hopefully Mike can attend to.
Donner BT pedal
I will certainly look into the issues you have observed. What McAroni said is accurate - checking the box indicates that you want every song being edited to use the exact same metadata for that field. It was difficult to come up with a mechanism to show the values for every song being edited while still providing a mechanism to join them all together if desired, so that's how I went about it. I'm always open to recommendations for UI improvements. I think trying to separate out the fields for each individual song would create a mess of a UI if you were batch editing 20+ songs all with different values, for example.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-26-2023, 06:17 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I will certainly look into the issues you have observed. What McAroni said is accurate - checking the box indicates that you want every song being edited to use the exact same metadata for that field. It was difficult to come up with a mechanism to show the values for every song being edited while still providing a mechanism to join them all together if desired, so that's how I went about it. I'm always open to recommendations for UI improvements. I think trying to separate out the fields for each individual song would create a mess of a UI if you were batch editing 20+ songs all with different values, for example.

Thanks,
Mike

I agree, I think that the system is good. However I'm still confused about the checkbox:
For example, if I have a batch of say 4 songs in different collections (some in the same, some not) and I delete one of the collections in that field, the box is checked automatically and the red highlight is removed even though I still might have songs in different collections, so I don't expect to assign those to all songs.  The box should still remain unchecked and red.
Now, If I decide to assign those collections to all songs then yes, I would check the box myself.

Regarding the listing of the songs selected, I noticed that already has a scroll bar but if the fields section has also a scroll bar because there are many to fit on screen, the scroll bars overlap and cannot be used properly, specially in small screen devices.
Donner BT pedal
The idea behind the dialog is that if you make any modification to a field, it's going to be checked indicating that you want to make changes to that field. If you uncheck the box, MobileSheets will ignore any changes you've made. Removing a field is reversible but if you permanently delete a field, that is not. You can't make changes to some songs but not others when using the batch edit dialog - it's all or nothing.

I'll see if I can improve the UI in regards to the scroll bars. 

Mike
(01-26-2023, 01:29 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: The idea behind the dialog is that if you make any modification to a field, it's going to be checked indicating that you want to make changes to that field. If you uncheck the box, MobileSheets will ignore any changes you've made. Removing a field is reversible but if you permanently delete a field, that is not. You can't make changes to some songs but not others when using the batch edit dialog - it's all or nothing.

I'll see if I can improve the UI in regards to the scroll bars. 

Mike

Thanks Mike, I get it now, It has to be all or nothing since the field values are all together and there's no distinction on what song or songs share each value.
Remember also to look at the e-ink UI
Donner BT pedal