• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Smart button for Half Page turn
For a couple of years I use forScore on iPad Pro for my music playing.
Mostly I use the Full page turn (Portrait mode mainly), but in many scores it is not possible to turn the page at precise that moment. In those cases I often use a button to generate a Half-page turn, that is (for me) sometimes really a life-safer!
I was glad to see that MobileSheets is now also available for an iPad, but the lack of this feature is a show-stopper, I use it quite often.
Is it possible to add this in an upcoming version?

manyt thanks beforehand
Jeroen
I don't understand. I use half page turns on MobileSheets all the time.
Jeroen,

Flic 2 smart button will work wit MobileSheets

See this thread about the flic smart buttons

https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...-6085.html

Rudy
Sorry I did not made myself clear enough I think, I do not mean a hardware button, but the software button in the app. In forScore you can use them a.o. to generate a half-turn, in MobileSheets for MIDI, Metronome, Next piece etc, but not a half-turn.
I cannot use a pedal like Airturn, or Flic buttons, since I use both hands and feet (carilloneur)! Page turns have to be done by touching the screen.
Most of the time I use Full page turns but sometimes the end of the page is not a convenient place to turn, and then an occasional half-page turn comes in very handy.
I do not use half-page turns all the time, because then I have twice as much page turns!
As far as I can see the choice between Fullpage turn and Halfpage turn is a Global setting (or per piece/song or setlist) but I need an occasional choice for this.
Well there isn't a way yet to alternate between half page and whole page turns (yet).

But there are several solutions to this. You could use the 2 page display (maybe even in book mode with two tablets if the sheet is too small for you to read).
You can use it that it turns just 1 page a time (and not both together) so you have a whole page to choose when to turn.

Myself I'm playing piano and know the problem with hands not free (and I'm tending to toss a pedal away or not finding it with the foot when I'm not looking so I don't like that
too much). I'm just using a small BT camera remote tied to my left index finger I'm pressing with my thumb when the sheet it allows. Works quite well for my kind
of music with the recently improved half page mode (might not work for classical pianists whose fingers are always busy).

But the best way to achieve almost that what you want is to use the vertical scrolling mode and use the half page turn option. So you can have half page turns with just one tap
as you want it. The only minor adjustment for you would be that you have to tap twice to get a whole page turn, but IMHO that's no biggie.

(P.S. I actually just realized there's not much difference between the vertical scrolling mode used this way and the normal half page mode apart from the divider line and keeping 
the half pages in place, so you might try that one as well if it suits you).
If you use the vertical scrolling mode with half pages enabled or the half page display mode, you can assign touch actions to the corners to "Turn One Page Forward" and "Turn One Page Backward". You then would just have to use the corners for normal page turns and the sides for half page turns. I realize that may not be your preference, but I just wanted to suggest it as a workaround for the time being. I can certainly look into adding an option to turn half a page with a smart button, but should the behavior be if you are using a display mode that doesn't support half page turns like the two page display mode? Should it just turn a full page in that situation?

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks, I will try this workaround, but beforehand I think that is indeed not my preference.
If there is no visual indication whatsoever, so you have to think each time where to touch the screen to get the turn you want. If the normal situation is a full page and there is a colored button visible, then it is much clearer what to do.
The main thing is to interprete the music, and not thinking about what to do to go to the next page!
What to do in the case of a display mode that does not support half turns I do not know, had not thought about that! But it might be best to turn simply a whole page instead.
I never use the two page mode, cannot read that anymore!
thanks
Jeroen
I've added support for half page turns with smart buttons as part of the version 3.8.0 update so this should get you what you need.

Thanks,
Mike
Ah, that's great!
Thank you very much, really fast solution!
Is this update coming soon? I am now on version 3.7.8 which seems to be the latest.

many thanks,
Jeroen
Yes, I'm working on finishing porting over changes for the iPadOS version, but I should hopefully be able to release the update in the next few days.

Mike
Hi Mike. I just noticed the new update for iOS came in though you haven't announced it here yet. Awesome.

You added support for turning on/off scrolling by smart buttons. I'm not using/needing it myself. But isn't it a bit impractical to stop scrolling (also half page turns) with a smart button, since you need one (or rather many) positioned on the screen to use it and they scroll up and vanish from the screen when used?

If one wants to use smart buttons for that wouldn't it be sensible (and possible to implement) to have the option to make them persistent or rather floating so they stay in the same position on the screen? Or have I overlooked something?
That's why I didn't support that action with smart buttons previously - it didn't really make sense to me to have that. However, it was introduced due to feedback in this thread: https://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum...l#pid43395

I'm not going to try to support floating buttons - the architecture just doesn't currently support that and it would require a very different design for how the button would be rendered and managed. In general, a button shouldn't be the primary way to start/stop scrolling. A pedal action or touch action should be used for that. I mainly supported this as the other user wanted a reminder for songs where they have assigned scroll settings.

Mike
I understand and agree. Pedal action or touch action is the way to go (as I've been doing anyway). But I was wondering about the use case of this function (none for me). Thanks for clarification.