• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations Zoom and Pan
At first thanks again for this great und very useful tool.

Perhaps I am also missing something but what I observe is that while making annotations with my stylus I can still pinch to zoom (which is great) but only move the view when selection the corresponding "move" tool. After that I have to switch back to my stylus to further annotate...

This seems like an unnecessary hassle. Why not allow moving the view with two fingers (or even one finger - if that is possible in stylus mode) without selecting that tool? I would mean the user does not need to change the tools back and forth and thus greatly enhance the editing speed.... I would very much like that...
The Windows 10 version actually works that way right now. I just modified the Android version to also let you pan with your finger while stylus mode is enabled. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Mike
Saw it just this morning - works wonderful. Thank you very much! Thats much more convenient!

On a Side note: is it possible for the floating pop up tool to remain hidden when dismissed? it seems to pop up again if closed as soon as i use the stylus again...
Tap the circle at the top left and deselect the tool windows you don't want shown.

Mike
This is exelent. Thanks for that update. Works perfect on the Samsung Chromebook with stylus.

A small suggestion though, directly "stolen" from Squid. (Squid is a free note-taking/drawing app for android).
On squid, you draw with the stylus. You pan and zoom using two fingers. You erase with one finger. 
This is really nice, as you can draw with the stylus, and when making a mistake just use the finger right away to erase. That make note entry and drawing very fast.
Hi, I have an Android Ebook Reader with Stylus AND Touch (Onyx Boox Max 2).
The problem with the new mode (allow pinch+zoom while in stylus mode) makes it unusable on this device, because when you write with the stylus, your hand will rest on the surface it it would on paper. However this results in continuous pinching and zooming making natural writing impossible!

Please make this at least configurable so that stylus mode ignores all touch events (at least on the editing surface) completely!
Okay, I can modify the stylus mode setting to pop up a dialog that has a setting to enable stylus mode as well as a setting to enable touch inputs for panning/zooming while stylus mode is active. I can also add appropriate warnings on this dialog, as some users enable stylus mode without realizing that it only works with a smart stylus, not a capacitive stylus.

Mike
However I think the Max Boox 2 is the best device for Musicians out there right now (and I am not the only one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2jBA3lVXWI). So MobileSheetsPro would be the perfect app and it works already well, except for the Annotation mode. If it ignored touch events it would already be way better. Another thing is speed: The preinstalled PDF Annotation app is much faster in drawing lines. In Mobile Sheets I have a very long delay until the Line i am drawing is displayed.
The third improvement would be support of the pressure-sensitivity, but I am not sure if this is needed. After all I don't want to create a drawing on my sheets, but just add quick notes.

Thank you for your quick response and sorry for my small and many responses.

EDIT: I would be happy to be a tester for your changes, so feel free to send me a debug build if you need testers.
If you enable stylus mode with that device, and then try to draw with the stylus, does it work? If so, then the OS is correctly distinguishing between touch input and your stylus input. That doesn't work with a capacitive stylus - the tablet can't tell the difference between the stylus and a finger. 

The preinstalled PDF annotation app on the Boox 2 is utilizing some kind of API for faster redrawing or refresh rate. I don't know if that's something that external applications can access. If you install any other kind of application that utilizes touch input (such as a simple drawing app), do you experience the same kind of delay? It would help to know, because if not, then there may be a different approaching to drawing that is faster. If so, then this is a general problem with that device that can't be overcome without accessing functionality specific to the Boox 2. I do see an Onyx SDK here https://github.com/onyx-intl/OnyxAndroidSample but I don't know if that works with the boox 2.

Mike
Hi, my stylus works in stylus mode, so it is not registered as touch input. I just confused capacitive with inductive.
So the feature with disabling touch events in stylus mode has first priority for me. The faster drawing second.

Since I am a developer myself, you can provide me with some code-samples if you want so I can test them on the device.
Have you tested another simple drawing type application to see if there is the same issue with slow draw speeds? If so, you could then build up some of those samples from the GitHub page that I linked, and see if the sample applications draw faster. The problem is that, even if that does work better, I would have to add an entirely different implementation for the Onyx Boox 2 in order to utilize their SDK for faster writing/drawing. They disable refreshing the rest of the screen while in "scribble" mode, so that might make other parts of the application unusable. I'm not really sure I fully understand yet how I could easily integrate their SDK without having an entirely different version of MobileSheetsPro designed for that type of tablet.

Mike
I will Check that.
However disabling of the Touch Events is more Important than speed for me so having that Feature would be great
Hello Zuberman,

concerning the stylus mode you implemented to the android version (and which is a really valuable asset): Is it possible to modify the palm detection somehow to make it recognize the palm more consistently?

Reason: If I zoom in to make annotations (I rather often need to do that to be precise) and then lay my hand with the stylus on the screen it is mostly recognized as zoom action until the whole hand lays firmly on the screen. But by then the zoom has changed so much that the view is unusable and has to be adjusted with pinch to zoom after which the whole process starts over again...

It is really hard to whack the whole hand to the screen in a manner it will not zoom again. Is there something you can do about it? As the palm is much bigger than a single finger it should be discernable which one is laid on the screen. In a perfect word i could lay my stylus hand on the screen and make annotations without worrying to change the view - and it works this way e.g. in the samsung note app for the s-pen.

Thank you very much for your great work  and greetings
Hi McConner, if I understand correctly, you can use your palm in stylus mode? This means that the palm is recognized differently than the fingers, so what I already suggested: disabling touch events in stylus mode should also fix your problem.
Of cause there could be an advanced setting which only disables touch events while stylus events are recognized (with a delay of cause) so that if the stylus is near the surface, you can do what you want with your hand, but if you move it away, you can still pinch and zoom.
However for me it is would be enough if I can switch on a stylus mode which completely ignores touch events so I can lay my hand on the screen. If I need to zoom, I could still use the zoom tool or switch off stylus mode.
(06-11-2018, 04:23 PM)t-oster Wrote: Hi McConner, if I understand correctly, you can use your palm in stylus mode? This means that the palm is recognized differently than the fingers, so what I already suggested: disabling touch events in stylus mode should also fix your problem.
Of cause there could be an advanced setting which only disables touch events while stylus events are recognized (with a delay of cause) so that if the stylus is near the surface, you can do what you want with your hand, but if you move it away, you can still pinch and zoom.
However for me it is would be enough if I can switch on a stylus mode which completely ignores touch events so I can lay my hand on the screen. If I need to zoom, I could still use the zoom tool or switch off stylus mode.

It seems to me the palm is - at least to some degree - recognized AS finger(s) leading to the problems with zooming. Other than that the implementation is good as it is because right now you can use your stylus to annotate and at the same time and without hassle move and zoom the view with the fingers. Calling up some tool box for move and zoom would not be a convenient solution....