• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations Zoom and Pan
As I already explained: For me the current implementation makes it unusable, because I cannot use the Stylus without my hand resting on the surfaces and thus generating pinch+zoom events. So at least for Stylus mode I would like the option to disable touch events. Maybe configurable in the settings if it works on other devices.
(06-13-2018, 10:25 PM)t-oster Wrote: As I already explained: For me the current implementation makes it unusable, because I cannot use the Stylus without my hand resting on the surfaces and thus generating pinch+zoom events. So at least for Stylus mode I would like the option to disable touch events. Maybe configurable in the settings if it works on other devices.

I think you are mistaken - the feature palm detection should instantly recognise that you are not using a finger but resting your hand on the screen in this case nothing should happen. but if you use your fingers then you could invoke a pinch/ zoom or a pan action..... This already works "pretty good" but only "pretty good" not "very good" because many times the palm would be mistaken as Fingers invoking the not intended pinch and zoom actions. so it needs some refining - that is the kind request...
Hello, I think the solution of disabling fingers action while the stylus is near the surface should be a good compromise to work fast; when the stylus goes far, the touch returns active for pan and zoom without having to manually turn it on or off every time. I hope Mike can make it possible.
Marco

Samsung Galaxy S8 Ultra 14.6" - Nord Stage 2 HA88
I've never tested it, but it does appear that I can detect hover events with smart styluses in Android. So in theory I could ignore touch input while the stylus is near or on the tablet screen.
(06-18-2018, 04:31 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I've never tested it, but it does appear that I can detect hover events with smart styluses in Android. So in theory I could ignore touch input while the stylus is near or on the tablet screen
I say - go for it....  Wink I will gladly test that. As I use annotation a whole lot that would come in handy.... It could at least be an option to tick on or off in the Annotations Dialogue...
Hi @Zuberman,

I am still using the app on the Onyx Boox Max 2 and have the problem, that in Annotation Mode the palm of my right hand moves and zoomes the page while I am trying to take notes with the stylus. I think it is not so easy to get the palm-detection correct, so please allow (at least in advances settings) to disable touch input completely when working with a stylus. This would finally render the annotation function usable to me.
And since I am a developer too, I'd like to assist in order to get the Onyx SDK integrated (if possible) to make the annotations feature faster on those devices. I can understand if you don't want to give me access to the source (although I promise, I won't do anythng else than trying to make it work for me and give you back my patches). Maybe you can give me a stripped-down version, which just loads a sample PDF in  annotation mode without the rest, so I can try to integrate the SDK.

However, the "disable touch events, just use stylus events"-feature is what I need most, so please add it to the next version.
Thank you.
Maybe a highlightened button directly in the annotattion editor which disables/enables touch input on a single touch would ease the problem: flip touch input to on (you could do that also with the stylus) - make view adjustments (with the stylus that would need a zoom slider somewhere) - disable it - use stylus for annotations.

Not really perfect but better than to dig through to the advanced settings... Yesterday I again had a hard time with my palm.... I noticed that it gets better for some time once the palm mode sticks. Of course I do not know If that is an API feature but in Samsung Notes the palm detection works flawlessly. That would be the best user experience but in the meanwhile the possibility to quickly dis/enable touch input would help definitly.
I have both added code to disable touch inputs when a stylus is hovering or down, and a new setting to disable touch inputs entirely while stylus mode is enabled. Hopefully between the two everyone will be happy.

Thanks,
Mike
Thank you, I will test that as soon as I am home
The update hasn't been released yet. I'm finalizing it (hopefully) today.

Mike
Just saw the update today and instantly had to give it a shot with the stylus: looks and feels great! Finally no need anymore to hop around on the page - thats the way its meant to be - thanks alot for this implementation.
I'm glad it's working well for you. This update has been a little bit of a mess so at least some parts of it are positive Smile
On my smartphone it looks great, but on my Onyx I cannot see the update in the play store... Maybe it takes some time until it refreshes? Or is the latest version not for all Android versions?
I released version 2.4.0 late last night. Do you not see the update available?
I  got the update but as soon my stylus comes near the surface it switches from pen to move utility. Here is a video of the problem https://cloud.thomas-oster.de/s/CC1MMnlc7fC1kQz