• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import MSF error invalid file
Hello,
I own multiple tablets that are shared by a few singers and musicians. To share setlists, I tried exporting an MSS file from one tablet to Dropbox and importing it in the other one. This works but requires all the song to exist on both tablets. If not, doing the same with MSF file seems exactly what I need but I never managed to get it to work. The export seems fine and the file size is about the same as a full PDF with all the songs (1.5MB for 10 songs). However, when I import it from Dropbox, I always get the same error: 
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/cache/filename.msf is not a valid MobileSheets file (.msf)

I did not select any option in the import dialog for set list, collection,... and left everything blank.
I tried it many times with different setlists and different songs, tried renaming the filename to remove spaces,... to no avail.
Any idea what could the issue be?
Thanks
Tristof
If you go to Settings->About on the tablet, what version of MobileSheetsPro is listed? I just exported a setlist to Dropbox, then used Import->Dropbox to import the .msf file and encountered no problems. What type of tablets are you using and what Android OS version are they running? If you go to Settings->Storage, have you changed any of the default settings? If you download the file from Dropbox and use Import->Local File, does the .msf file work in that case? I may need to take a look at the .msf file.

As a side note, are you using the FastSpring version on each tablet since different musicians are utilizing them?

Mike
Thank you Mike for your reply.

I have 2 tablets "HANNSPREE 13,3 Zeus" and one "Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE". I tried the transfer between the 2 Hannspree and also between one Hannspree and the Samsung. I unfortunately do not have any of the tablets with me (I left them at the choir last week-end), I'll post the answers to your questions about versions after the next rehearsal in a week. In the meantime, in case it could be useful, I created a download link in WeTransfer (valid until February 8 2022) with an example MSF file that I could not import:
https://we.tl/t-acUyDpXIY3 (WeTransfer MSF download link).

I'm not aware of FastSpring, I bought the regular license on Google Play multiple times (once for each Android tablet).

Finally, just after I sent my previous message, I had the idea to try the Bluetooth transfer and it worked perfectly the very first time. Only the export/import via Dropbox does not work. I still prefer the Dropbox solution because it allows me to share all the sheet music at once with multiple people, provided that have MobileSheetsPro on their tablet.

On a side note, I never used the synchronization feature between tablet because I could never get them to connect. However, for a concert, I think I would prefer everybody to be able to turn the pages when they want to. What I would prefer, however, would be an ability to keep the whole music library in sync accross multiple tablets. Does such a feature exist?

Thanks,
Tristof
Tristof,

I imported your .msf, which worked just fine, then I exported it to Dropbox, delete the song, imported the .msf I exported, and that also worked fine. So I'm at a loss as to why you are seeing issue (assuming you are running version 3.4.0). It would help to know the details of any settings you've changed under Settings->Storage. Are you using the default storage location and letting MobileSheets manage your files?

As long as you are using a separate email address on each tablet that you used to purchase the app through Google Play, then that is perfectly fine. I had mainly commented to ensure people realize it's not okay to use a single Google Play account to share purchases for multiple musicians (it's a violation of the Google Play terms of service). The FastSpring version just makes things more simple as there is one license key per device.

If you tap the three dots at the top right corner of the library screen, you will see a "Sync Library" option. That can be used to synchronize the library across devices using either WiFi or a cloud folder. That would probably be the easiest and fastest way to keep all of the devices synchronized. It's recommended to only use one-way syncs, meaning you update the other devices using one device as server, or you push changes to the cloud from one device and the other devices only pull changes from the cloud. Check out the feature and let me know if you have any questions about it.

Mike
I see the same or a similar error on my phone I think.

Never used .msf files so far, nor do I really use my phone for MSP. I'd have to try on my S3 tablet to see how that works.

Phone is a samsung A52, android 12

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you go to Settings->About, are you running version 3.4.0 on that device?
Yeah 3.4.0
I'm not sure how I was able to import the file to begin with - I just looked at the actual data at the beginning of the file, and it's completely missing some of the required file headers that would be written out normally when the .msf file is generated. In fact, if you rename that .msf file to .pdf, it works as is. It seems to be completely missing all of MobileSheets data that is supposed to come before the PDF. If you try to export that file again as a .msf, does it generate the same size (1,678 KB in Windows) every time? If you export to Local File first, then upload that file to the cloud using the dedicated Dropbox app or a browser, then import the file again, does it fail in the same way? If you export to Google Drive instead, does the same issue occur? We need to figure out why the export is producing a file in that state, as I've never seen that before. Just to verify - are you going to the setlist tab, long pressing the setlist, tapping Share->Export songs and files and selecting Dropbox as the destination?

Thanks,
Mike
(02-02-2022, 04:58 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm not sure how I was able to import the file to begin with - I just looked at the actual data at the beginning of the file, and it's completely missing some of the required file headers that would be written out normally when the .msf file is generated. In fact, if you rename that .msf file to .pdf, it works as is. It seems to be completely missing all of MobileSheets data that is supposed to come before the PDF. If you try to export that file again as a .msf, does it generate the same size (1,678 KB in Windows) every time? If you export to Local File first, then upload that file to the cloud using the dedicated Dropbox app or a browser, then import the file again, does it fail in the same way? If you export to Google Drive instead, does the same issue occur? We need to figure out why the export is producing a file in that state, as I've never seen that before. Just to verify - are you going to the setlist tab, long pressing the setlist, tapping Share->Export songs and files and selecting Dropbox as the destination?

Thanks,
Mike

I checked the info you asked. I'm running MS 3.4.0 on an Android 10 (build 20210413_EU_133TS) tablet model HSG1416.
I'm indeed exporting songs and files using what described (long press in setlist,...).
I tried the upload to local first.
- local MSF file = 3.82 MB
- local joint PDF = 3.79 MB
- Dropbox MSF file = 3.82 MB
That seems consistent...
Thanks
Tristof
I did not pay attention but this was a different playlist and the import worked. I redid the same with the one that had failed and it worked this time. Could it be due to a delay between the export to Dropbox and the time where it is available?
In any case, it seems resolved. Thank you for your support.
And the synchronization feature of the library using one tablet as server worked great, this was exactly what I needed, thanks again,
Tristof
I'm glad to hear that it's all working now. I think we can ignore that first file unless you ever see it again in the future.

Mike