• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Auto Load & Display Whole Setlist" suggestion
Hi Mike,
I play in a contra dance band and practically all of our sets are two or three short jigs and/or reels. My list of sets has over 70 entries. It would be great if there could be something like an "Auto Load & Display Whole Setlist" or "Skip Load All Screen" setting (or whatever you want to call it) which, after selecting a set from the list of sets, would skip the "Load All" screen and immediately load and display the entire set from the top (which usually fits on a single page). 
Currently, I ALWAYS have to touch "Load All" to display the tunes. I NEVER select a single tune from that list.
Likewise, after playing a set, when I touch the Back arrow in the top left corner, it would great to again skip the "Load All" screen and go straight back to the list of sets.
Thanks for your consideration.
Walter
MS for Windows v3.5.9
I can certainly consider adding support for that. The only downside of supporting this is it then makes it impossible to view the list of songs under the setlist if you wanted to perform actions on them on the library screen. 

Mike
Since our sets are so short, I actually create the set name from the names of the two or three tunes in the set, so the set name tells me exactly which tunes are in the set. I can annotate the tunes while they are displayed, so I can't imagine what I would ever need that "Load All" screen for. But in the rare instance that I might need it, I could always turn off that new setting so that screen would be displayed again, right?
Thank you!

Walter
(10-03-2022, 05:30 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I can certainly consider adding support for that. The only downside of supporting this is it then makes it impossible to view the list of songs under the setlist if you wanted to perform actions on them on the library screen. 

Mike

Hi Mike,

Still hoping for that option that lets me go straight from my set list to the fully loaded songs when I click on a set on my setlist (and back again - totally avoiding the list of songs), HOWEVER, I understand that, sometimes, one would want to access the list of songs and not just automatically load all the songs in the set, so here's my suggestion:

How about if that option (skipping the list of songs) can only be active when Performance Mode is enabled?

When I'm in Performance Mode, I just want to go from my setlist to the opened songs (since our sets are ALWAYS only two or three songs, max.). In PM, I don't need to edit or change anything. I just want to get to my songs. And when we're done with the set, I just need to get straight back to my setlist - no need to go back through the list of songs.

Of course, people who always want to go through the list of songs could leave this option disabled and nothing would change for them.

Again, thanks for your consideration!

Walter
Chuwi 13.5" H13, Win10, 128GB  μSD
One option would be to have an icon displayed at the right of every setlist that, when tapped, loads the entire setlist. Then there would be no need for a separate setting and users could still have access to both modes of operating without having to toggle anything like performance mode. Would that work for your needs?

Mike
(05-15-2023, 03:32 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: One option would be to have an icon displayed at the right of every setlist that, when tapped, loads the entire setlist. Then there would be no need for a separate setting and users could still have access to both modes of operating without having to toggle anything like performance mode. Would that work for your needs?

Mike

Hi Mike,
Sorry for the very belated reply. I didn't notice your response come in. I thought I'd look into this again, because it's still an issue for me and so I saw your response for the first time just now.
I wasn't able to figure out how to put an "icon" at the right of every setlist, but I don't think that would be too convenient to do for the 150+ setlists in our current repertoire and with how often we make a new sets. Remember, I play in a contradance band so our sets contain only 1, 2 or 3 songs max, with each song (tune) generally having only four lines of treble clef (like a fake book), so two tunes can easily fit on one page. If a set has three tunes, I only have to tap the tablet once to scroll and see the entire third tune. 

I understand avoiding adding a new setting, if at all possible, so here's a suggestion. 

There are two existing options that are SO CLOSE to what contradance players need, but they're not quite there.  
The first one is the "Always Load Whole Setlist" which could get triggered when tapping on a set, not just a song. The whole setlist would be loaded and the first song would be displayed.
The other one is the "Skip Viewing Groups with One Song" option. If an integer could be added to that option so that 2-, 3- or x-song groups could also be immediately loaded instead of viewing the group, that would work perfectly! I would just set the number to 3 and that would cover all my sets. (of course the option would have to be renamed to something like "Skip Viewing Groups with X Songs or Fewer").

Thanks for your consideration, Mike!
I think you misunderstood - I was saying I would modify the application to add a new icon that, when pressed, would load the entire setlist. This would be a shortcut to achieve what you are asking for. That icon would appear on the Setlists tab for each entry. 

Mike
(Yesterday, 10:49 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I think you misunderstood - I was saying I would modify the application to add a new icon that, when pressed, would load the entire setlist. This would be a shortcut to achieve what you are asking for. That icon would appear on the Setlists tab for each entry. 

Mike

Oh. OK, yes, I misunderstood. 

I think an added icon on every line on the Set tab would not be aesthetically pleasing, especially, I presume, since most users wouldn't be using that functionality. I can just keep on doing an extra button press to pass forward and back through the Setlist screen although I never ever press on a single song in the setlist. I always press the Load All button.
Don't worry about it, Mike. It would probably only be useful for folks like us contradance players with lots of 2-3 songs sets who always need to load up the whole set when it's pressed on the Set tab page.

Since last September, I've taken up the Steirische Harmonika, learning on a website that doesn't use notes in its teaching method. It's pretty much the Suzuki method. The teacher makes videos that we students can access any time online and we learn by just mimicking the teacher. We can also download mp3 files from the videos of all the (300+) songs on the website and I'm trying to figure out how to use MS to work with all the mp3 files and the lyrics pdf files that go with some of the songs (lots of the polkas and waltzes don't have lyrics). There are so many new songs that I often forget how a song goes, so I would use MS to just play a few seconds of the mp3 file to remind me how the song starts and also display the lyrics (if any). So this would be a mp3-based system where every song has an mp3 file but not necessarily a pdf file in contrast to my contradance system where every song has a pdf file and none of the songs have an associated mp3 file. It'll be interesting to see how easily something like this can be set up in MS!

As always, thanks for your wonderful software creation and all the continuing support! Have a great day!
Alright, if there comes a time when I can introduce something like this where it fits into an existing addition, then I can add it. Have a great day as well!

Mike