• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annotations appear in random sheet music
Hi,

I sometimes find a random annotation which I made in musicsheet appearing in another musicsheet as well. I can spot this as the placement of the (in most case dynamic text) is not placed at a logical spot, sometimes even in the middle of a staff. I have not discovered how/when this occurs.

Current using Windows to run MobileSheets, but previous (several years ago) used the Android version. When I moved from Android to Windows, I created a backup and imported that. Not sure if that can trigger these issues.

The issue is not always happening and haven't found the logic for this as well. Any advise on what I can/should be checking? How to best analyse this?

Regards,
Henk
Henk,

In order to address any potential issues, I'll need a few things:

1) A way to reproduce the issue, even intermittently
2) A copy of the song or songs that I can switch between to cause the issue to occur
3) Information about the device you are using and which version of MobileSheets you are running

I've never seen annotations displayed that are from a different song than the one that is loaded, so I have no way to reproduce this at the moment. I don't get to use the app for long stretches of time though, as most of my time is spent developing and providing customer support, so if this is an issue that only occurs after using the app for long periods of time, that will make it more difficult to reproduce.

Mike
(12-06-2022, 07:19 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Henk,

In order to address any potential issues, I'll need a few things:

1) A way to reproduce the issue, even intermittently
2) A copy of the song or songs that I can switch between to cause the issue to occur
3) Information about the device you are using and which version of MobileSheets you are running

I've never seen annotations displayed that are from a different song than the one that is loaded, so I have no way to reproduce this at the moment. I don't get to use the app for long stretches of time though, as most of my time is spent developing and providing customer support, so if this is an issue that only occurs after using the app for long periods of time, that will make it more difficult to reproduce.

Mike

Hi Mike,

What would be the best way to copy the songs?

Regards,
Henk
Go to the Songs tab, long press/right-click a song to select it, tap each song to export, and then tap Share->Export as .msf. I would just need the .msf file then. You can also do this for an entire setlist if you select it on the Setlists tab and tap Share->Export songs and files.

Mike
(12-07-2022, 06:16 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: Go to the Songs tab, long press/right-click a song to select it, tap each song to export, and then tap Share->Export as .msf. I would just need the .msf file then. You can also do this for an entire setlist if you select it on the Setlists tab and tap Share->Export songs and files.

Mike

Thanks, will do the next time I encountered this.
Hi Mike, I am still facing the issue that annotations appear in random songs at what seems to be a random place as well.
Is there any log file which is keeping track of the activity I perform? Or if not enabled by default, can I enable it?

My challenge is that I don't know which song I have added the annotation to when I see it appearing in the other song. As I might not be opening that song the same/week.
Trying to find out why this is hapening. I don't know what the iink is between the song I added the annotation to and the other song in which it appears.
I only know the random annoation was not added by me because of the position they are in. 

Regards,
Henk
There isn't a log file - I didn't want to introduce any unnecessary disk I/O which could impact the performance of the application. Perhaps at some point I'll add code for logging that is disabled by default but can be enabled in the settings, but that code then becomes code I have to maintain (i.e. any time I make changes, the logging code could be impacted), and it takes quite a bit of effort to add that code in the first place.

Without a way to reliably reproduce what you are seeing (and due to the fact that no other user is reporting this), my only recommendation at this point is for you to permanently embed your annotations in the PDFs. If you do this, then this problem can never occur again. You'll just need to load each score, enter the annotation editor, tap the three dots at the top right and then tap "Embed Annotations". You can still move or delete the embedded annotations if needed (you'll just have to enable the option to edit embedded PDF annotations), but if you aren't changing the annotations very much, then this will eliminate the problem altogether without causing any headaches. There is also now an option to automatically embed annotations that you could enable if you want to go down this path.

On a side note, the next update is going to replace the entire rendering framework in the Windows version to match what is used on Android. If this is purely a graphical issue of some kind (i.e. the annotations are showing up on the wrong scores, but those annotations don't actually exist in the score), then this change may fix this issue for you. The way to verify this is, when you see an annotation that doesn't belong, enter the annotation editor, bring up the layers window and see if that annotation actually shows up in the list of annotations. If so, then the annotation is being saved into the wrong song somehow. The only way I could imagine that happening is if there is some weird database issue where the wrong song IDs have been assigned to annotations, effectively assigning them to a different song. I would expect this to impact a large number of users if there was a bug like that though, so I doubt that is the case.

Mike